JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Stippled/ Carved Grip (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Stippled/ Carved Grip
michbowhunter
Contributor 2016
Member # 23258

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michbowhunter   Email michbowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a bow I am finishing up for a buddy of mine. A few guys asked me how I did the stippling on the grip, so I took a few pics as I did this one. This one has a little more carving into it than I usually do, but still came out well.
I like to tape around the area I am going to be doing...you can just draw it out with pencil also. Seems like I just do better with the tape! The riser is finished sanded to 180 grit when I start, when I am done i go over the whole thing with 220.
He wanted a Elk Antler in the handle, so I drew it out on the tape and cut it out with the knife.
All of the work is done with a Dremel.
 -
 -
I use the smaller of the two bits to carve a line around the antler and the larger to make the stipples.
 -
 -
After i get all the stippling done, I go back with this bit (not sure what it is called, but you can see it in the pic) and blend all the stipples together...kind of in a swirling motion.
 -
 -
I like the way this comes out, kind of looks a feels like the base of an antler...about the only thing I can compare it to. [Wink]
After that, I finish carving a little deeper around the antler and then go over the whole thing with 220 grit paper.
 -
This is how it looks now with a coat of semi-gloss Krystal...with that figured Bocote, it is hard to see the outline of the carving. It should look better once it is finished up with the Flat Krystal.

Posts: 256 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BOWMARKS
Contributor 2016
Member # 12754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOWMARKS   Email BOWMARKS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice work!! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 2550 | From: Erie,Pa. | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
straitera
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for straitera   Email straitera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible! Fantastic job.

--------------------
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Posts: 4639 | From: Texas | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green
Contributor 2016
Member # 25862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green   Email Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing the method....still wouldn't try it myself....lol.

--------------------
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Posts: 3365 | From: Kempner, TX | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keefer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keefer   Author's Homepage   Email Keefer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's some of the prettiest Bocote I've seen...Thanks for sharing..
Posts: 4128 | From: Hurlock Maryland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowwild
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 2347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowwild   Author's Homepage   Email Bowwild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"How It's Made" couldn't have told the story better!

--------------------
If the mind wanders, so too will the arrow.

Member of various archery organizations.

Posts: 5882 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ishoot4thrills
Contributor 2014
Member # 18541

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ishoot4thrills   Author's Homepage   Email ishoot4thrills   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [thumbsup]

--------------------
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Posts: 4197 | From: Cecilia, Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daniel boon
Contributor 2014
Member # 25742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daniel boon   Email daniel boon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks good,and the grip is very comfortable and fits in to the same spot every time. More I shoot mine , the more impressed I am [thumbsup]
Posts: 607 | From: australia | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rick7
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7643

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rick7   Email rick7   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very well done
Posts: 779 | From: lucasville ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k. sisco
Contributor 2015
Member # 7366

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k. sisco   Author's Homepage   Email k. sisco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very nice job!
Posts: 622 | From: oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cacciatore
Contributor 2017
Member # 17855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cacciatore   Email cacciatore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stunning job!

--------------------
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Posts: 9143 | From: Italy/Colorado | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jesse cales
Contributor 2015
Member # 6880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jesse cales   Author's Homepage   Email jesse cales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
beautiful! [Not Worthy]
Posts: 1712 | From: virginia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JJB
Contributor 2015
Member # 21402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JJB   Email JJB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing that, very informative and nice work.
-Jay

Posts: 1767 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31148 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Mecredy
SPONSOR
Member # 8133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Mecredy   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Mecredy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's about as cool as you can get. I've always thought about trying that.

-Mike

--------------------
-Maddog
TGMM Family of the bow

Maddog Archery
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Posts: 2407 | From: Pahrump Nevada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©