JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » European Mount HOW-TO!!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: European Mount HOW-TO!!!
TroutGuide
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 24704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TroutGuide   Email TroutGuide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done one but I'm in for an easier/quicker way.

--------------------
Brian Harris
"I rarely ever give a definate answer about hunting or fishing." Me

Posts: 395 | From: North of big D,Texas | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shed hunter
Contributor 2016
Member # 29268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shed hunter   Author's Homepage   Email shed hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning on doing one on my next buck. This will be great.

--------------------
BigJim thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"

Posts: 3010 | From: OWENSBORO, KY | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, Deer blinds have been constructed with the help of my boys, homework finished and dinner stuff put away.

Now let's get to what this thread is all about, Doing your own European Mount.

You need to start with a deer head (sorry, this one has no ears. My boys woke me up Sunday and asked "if they could each have an ear"? I was so tired, I said "Sure", thinking they would wait till I got up. Lesson learned. PAY ATTENTION TO DETAILS [biglaugh]

-

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5342 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then you need the essentials. A turkey deep fryer, a deep pot that you would cook a turkey in and some borax. A knife is a given tool. I used to deep fry turkeys and even a few roasts a year till I realized how bad it was for our health, I'm sure glad I didn't throw it away...

-

--------------------

Posts: 5342 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
longbow fanatic 1
2017 Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for longbow fanatic 1   Email longbow fanatic 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[thumbsup]
Posts: 2608 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Your goal in this step is to remove every bit of anything you can with your knife. Keep a sharpener handy, the bone, fat and gristle will wear on a knife. You also need to stick something in the brain cavity to scramble the brains. Use anything you have available, I used my finger. It was right there. Notice the plastic bag on the ground. You will want one handy to throw all that is cut off into. This is after about 20 minutes of knife, and finger work...

-

--------------------

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

This tool was AMAZINGLY helpful. It is a nozzle that gets screwed onto your garden hose to fill up water balloons. It also works perfect as a low pressure power washer. Make sure you have eye protection, because it splashes everywhere. Remember when you scrambled the brains? Here is where you can flush them out now...

-

--------------------

Rick Butler
Contributor 2016
Member # 7393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Butler   Email Rick Butler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike in your list of essentials you forgot to include the "understanding wife" [bigsmyl]

--------------------
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 2314 | From: Swartz Creek & DeTour Village MI. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chumster
Contributor 2017
Member # 25576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chumster   Author's Homepage   Email Chumster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to hijack the thread Mike but I did all of mine in the winter, so as not to offend the neighbors.

--------------------
Never wait too long!

Posts: 334 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Take your pot, fill it with water and add 1-2 cups of borax (I did 2 cups). Mix it up well, and now your ready to put your deer head into the pot. Remember you DO NOT want any part of the antlers in the water. They WILL turn white from the Borax...

-

--------------------

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

To answer both your questions, I will get to the understanding wife in a few minutes Rick, and I honestly want my neighbors to see me doing this stuff. That's why I did it in the front yard. Notice the old grill that I converted to a work bench? I leave it behind the house in the swamp, till I need it, then wheel it to the front to do my work. The Neighbors tend to leave me alone. [bigsmyl]

--------------------

Bobby Urban
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobby Urban   Email Bobby Urban   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A piece of coat hanger mounted in a cordless drill makes a good brain scrambler.
Posts: 1308 | From: Fowlerville, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Now to get back on track. Bring your pot to a boil using the turkey fryer. Once the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to a nice simmer. You DO NOT want your water to be at a rolling boil. Think of it as making a nice stew (albeit a stinky one). Your set up will look something like this...

-

--------------------

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

I guess a coat hanger would work, but I'm not afraid to get a little dirty. It washes off, plus you get to do everything by hand and not OVER DO something with power tools. Remember, it is not about how fast something can get done, it's about getting it done with minimal amout of damage.

--------------------

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Now, find yourself something to do for 1 1/2 hrs while your "Stew" is simmering. I actually did a rare thing for me. I grabbed a chair and a few cups of coffee and enjoyed the day, and some time with my little guys. They got to tell me all kinds of stories and explained to me what and how they wanted to go hunting for.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©