JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » How To build some pretty cool looking arrows. Motor City Machete style (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: How To build some pretty cool looking arrows. Motor City Machete style
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With gun season approaching, and Daylight savings time upon us I thought I would get to tinkering with some arrows. Just some basic no frills shafts, but it's still fun to make them. Haven't figured out the fletchings yet, but I'm sure it won't be anything fancy. [bigsmyl]

I am going to do a complete "How-To" on the next dozen I will be doing the crown on starting this evening, so please bear with me, like to let stuff dry between steps.
 - [bigsmyl]

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5343 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sockrsblur
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 35720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sockrsblur   Email Sockrsblur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nice start Mike, I love watching you work :)
Take lots of pictures!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Posts: 2184 | From: NY | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Green
Contributor 2016
Member # 25862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Green   Email Green   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you back Mike. Nice start you got going on there.

--------------------
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Posts: 3365 | From: Kempner, TX | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This next set I'm going to do colors that will be easy to see in the How To. Thinking White and Red crown on an Ebony stained shaft.

--------------------

Posts: 5343 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todd Greenwald
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 22437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Todd Greenwald   Email Todd Greenwald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Nice!!!

--------------------
Michigan Longbow Association
USMC 1992-2000

Posts: 198 | From: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cahaba
Contributor 2014
Member # 12221

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cahaba   Author's Homepage   Email cahaba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got talent!

--------------------
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Posts: 1553 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thumper Dunker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thumper Dunker   Email Thumper Dunker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking good.

--------------------
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Posts: 3991 | From: Modesto California | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jayrod
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 17800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jayrod   Author's Homepage   Email Jayrod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SWEET!!

--------------------
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Associate member/ PBS

Posts: 3237 | From: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mudd
2017 Contributor
Member # 184

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mudd   Author's Homepage   Email Mudd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike says,..."I am going to do a complete "How-To"..." and I know immediately he isn't directing this at me...lol

There will be a whole bunch of folks that'll be excited to see this and they'll be helped immensely.......

but I ask myself how's this going to help me since I "HATE" building arrows....lol

Mike I can be helped but "if and only if".. you send me a dozen....lol J/K

Good job Mike!!

God bless,Mudd

--------------------
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Posts: 12024 | From: Ashland,Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the kind words guys.

Hey Mudd, what does the guy that says "I can" and the guy that says "I can't" have in common? They are both right.

--------------------

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Time to start the crown...

I will not run thru the beginning stages of prepping tbe shaft and bore you with staining and the 1st coat of dip.

I did all that listed above and hung my shafts to dry. Everything I do has a minimum of 24 hrs dry time between steps. Why? Because the guy that taught me said so, and i don't need to try and improve the techniques on who I consider to be the best Arrow Builder known. Plus, if it works, why mess with it.

Here is a picture of the shafts hanging to dry after being prepped, stained and 1 dip of clear...

-

If you don't mind, I'm not just gonna show a bunch of pictures, I'm also going to "Talk" as I'm going along. I feel it's important to be able to carry on a conversation in life. If you don't want to read it, just look at the pictures and get half the fun.

If anyone has any questions about my set up, the shop, steps I might not have been to clear with or anything you just need an answer to, please feel free to ask. I DO NOT believe in keeping "Trade Secrets". Knowledge should be shared and passed on. (sorry guys, I still can't figure out women so your on your own there).

--------------------

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Next step is to get a couple VERY eagar assistants willing to help Dad in the shop and take pictures for me.

-

Here, I have taken all the shafts and steel wooled them toget rid of the raised grain from the previous dip and preparing to use some painter's tape to mask off where I want the spray paint to terminate.

It always help if you make yourself comfortable when working, so shorts and a shirt that means the world to me are worn when I want to relax.

You see, this shirt is just over 23 years old. I got this shirt on the 2nd of August 1990. Does anyone know what that date means in history???

2 August 1990 is a significant date to me for 2 reasons. That is the date that Sadam Hussein invaded Kuwait, and it is also the same exact date that I was issued that very shirt when I was in my very first day of Basic Training for the Army.

That shirt has been around the world when I was enlisted and has seen plenty of better days, and one of the worst that I could imagine too.

Funny how something as simple as a shirt could have such meaning and memories associated with it.

--------------------

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Just another view of the taping process. You really dont need that long of a piece, as long as it goes around at least a full time, your good.

-

--------------------

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

--------------------

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Here is the dozen all set and ready to go in the spray booth (aka the garage)

-

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©