JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » How To build some pretty cool looking arrows. Motor City Machete style (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: How To build some pretty cool looking arrows. Motor City Machete style
Easykeeper
Contributor 2014
Member # 13113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Easykeeper   Email Easykeeper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread, thanks Mike!
Posts: 1503 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob at Work
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob at Work   Email Bob at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you add more oil paint between dips?
thanks!
Bob

Posts: 1153 | From: morrilton, arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to Bob. After the marble dip is dried, I crest like normal and then dip over everything. Im at work now (at lunch). When i get home, I will get a picture of the shafts that have now been finish crested, dipped and ready for feathers.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5342 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve O
Contributor 2017
Member # 503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve O   Email Steve O   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by moredneck:
Can you do this to carbon arrows?

Yes, just pull the nocks and plug the end.
Posts: 6190 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob at Work
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob at Work   Email Bob at Work   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike...I meant the marbling dip...just wasn't sure if you added a drop of color after each arrow was dipped in the oil/water mix.
thanks again!
Bob

Posts: 1153 | From: morrilton, arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I clean the water after each arrow and after every few, I change the water out.

--------------------

Posts: 5342 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob at Work
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1018

cool...thanks!
Bob

Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

I asked my wife to take a picture and send it to me so you all can see the finished product before I get to fletching them.

Here they are crested and drip drying...

-

--------------------

Rick Moss
Member # 40301

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick Moss   Author's Homepage   Email Rick Moss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
very informative and exciting! thanks for this thread Mike. one of the things that also draws me to traditional is all the awesome arrows I see. dave, sorry...I guess I should just call him dirtybird...made some once with orange and blue and some other colors and they blew me away...I think arrow building is a process I must learn! thanks again, your arrows are AWESOME! And I cannot wait to see the finished product. great stuff brother! and most importantly, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!
Posts: 77 | From: Ohio | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Ranger
Contributor 2014
Member # 27999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Ranger   Email Lone Ranger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really good thread. I see purple marbling on my wife's shafts in the near future!

--------------------
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Posts: 531 | From: Florida (Williston) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bladepeek
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bladepeek   Email Bladepeek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really nice job, Mike. I haven't gotten around to building my first set of woodies, but think it may soon be time once the season is over here.

Just a question on target burn. Would a wax or something like Armor All help reduce the friction? I'd probably actually cry if I managed to make a nice set and saw them getting wiped out by target burn.

Ron

--------------------
62" Blacktail Snakebit LH 38@28
60" Bear Super K 40#@28
66" Sparrow hawk LH 42@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62" Lost Creek Judge RH 44@28
52" Bear KMag LH 45@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 46/43@28

Posts: 4063 | From: Greenville, Michigan | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flying Dutchman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flying Dutchman   Email Flying Dutchman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I couldn't stand this. Since I was busy making some new arras and all my tools and paint was on the table, I thought " oh hell, let's give this a try...." [Cool]
So I took some old broken woodies. Stripped the fletching. Filled a small can with water. I mixed some red paint with white spirit to make it more fluid. Dipped a few drops in the water, YES, it floats! Stirred as described. Dipped the first shaft a few times and here was the first result: [Eek!]

-

Defenitely too much paint, but hey, this seems to work.....

Throwed the water away filled a new can, and this time just one small drop of paint. Carefully now..... I spread the drop with a small stick as described over the surface. Dipping another old shaft, and here we go [Big Grin] :

-

-

This is very close how it should look I think. Still have to experiment with how much white spirit I have to add to have the right mix, but I think it will be a piece of a cake.

Very easy to do and I think very addictive!

The paint I use is just normal cheap anemal, as always. My guess is as long as the drop floats on the water, you are good to go!

Thanks for a great Tutorial Mike, I have an idea now how my next arrows will look like [wavey]

--------------------
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [Roll Eyes]
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Posts: 2121 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

That right there is EXACTLY why I did the "How To". I'm pleased you decjded to tinker around with it and see how much fun, and addicting, it can be. Your arrows will forever be changed.

Life is way to short to shoot bland or ugly arrows, UNLESS that is your preference. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

--------------------

Flying Dutchman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flying Dutchman   Email Flying Dutchman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thank you Mike. Those are old damaged shafts, but I think with new freshly painted shafts and a little tinkering around I think I can make them as pretty as I want to.
I just think the marble effect needs an extra transparent coating to protect it, because I can pretty easy whipe it off. But I will let it dry for 24 hours and then see how well it holds.
I am just in the process of making 24 carbon arrows, so I will see where this ends [Smile] have to find out which transparent coating is right for my enemal paint. And accepts glue without dissolving.
Thanks again bro!

--------------------
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [Roll Eyes]
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Posts: 2121 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gator1
Contributor 2017
Member # 11196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gator1   Email Gator1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread.

Mike you are awesome with woodies.

[clapper] [clapper] [clapper]

Posts: 4816 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©