JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » How To - Resources » Tapering wood shafts (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tapering wood shafts
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2017
Member # 8854

Icon 6 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lots a people going back to woodies these days some like or want to try tapered shafts for whatever reason. I like shooting tapered shafts myself, makes more of a difference if you are starting with a 23/64ths shaft.

And for those that are trying to justify a belt/disc sander for tapering their nocks and points...here is another excuse.

This is just a piece of 1/4" luan with a small hole in it for the point to rest in, clamped to the fence.

-

I use a 2018(5/16)to set the height of the hole.

-

Once that is set, you may want to put a pecil mark on the shaft to indicate where the taper will stop. My little sander has a short bed so I can only get a 9.5" taper, which plenty. When I see "fresh" wood appearing at the end of the bed I know thats it.

So with that, fire up the sander and put the nock point in the hole and start spining the shaft and slowly work it down in to the sanding belt. When you reach your mark or sander limits, your done...you got a rear tapered shaft.

-
 -
 -

The same will work on the front of the arrow for a barrel taper, just set up with something 11/32..22XX shaft or field point

Have fun [Smile]

Eric

Posts: 3662 | From: Manton Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Vines
Contributor 2015
Member # 7379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Vines   Email Mike Vines   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks amazingly simple. Kind of how I reduce the stock on my footed shafts. Only I use a center pin and a disc sander. I'm going to give this a try.

--------------------
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Posts: 5342 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2017
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, very simple and works like a champ.

Wish it ws my idea but its not, our own Bill Carlson got me goin on this a couple years ago.

Posts: 3662 | From: Manton Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wooddamon1
Contributor 2016
Member # 26099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wooddamon1   Email wooddamon1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very slick. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Posts: 4761 | From: Muskegon, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brently
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16963

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brently   Email Brently   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man I like that way of doing a taper, I'm going to have to try that.....Thanks for the tip.
Posts: 323 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meathead
2017 Contributor
Member # 5557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for meathead   Email meathead   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will sure be giving that a try.
Posts: 1157 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arraflinger
Contributor 2015
Member # 4131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arraflinger   Email Arraflinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is downright slick !! That's how i'm doing them from now on.

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Posts: 162 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2017
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, and simple too!!
Posts: 9988 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWilhelm
Member # 36320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DWilhelm   Email DWilhelm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like that idea. I will have to give it a try! Thanks.
Posts: 44 | From: Barrie, ON | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hud
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9639

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hud   Author's Homepage   Email Hud   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly meets the KISS test. I doubt it could be any easier. It look like the position of the stop on the belt determines the length of your taper. Is it about 10"? [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2098 | From: Ridgefield, Wa. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2017
Member # 8854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WESTBROOK   Email WESTBROOK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hud, I can get about 9.5", its a small sander.

Eric

Alvey
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 22120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alvey   Email Alvey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's pretty neat.thank's for posting.

--------------------
But now,O Lord,thou art our father;we are the clay,and thou our potter;and we all are the the work of thy hand. Isaiah 64:8

Posts: 347 | From: MT pleasant mills p.a. | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pokerdaddy
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 24679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pokerdaddy   Email Pokerdaddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing. Very helpful post!

--------------------
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Posts: 1337 | From: Frankenmuth, Michigan | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WESTBROOK
Contributor 2017
Member # 8854

First....You have to make sure your shafts are as straight as you can get them...for obvious reasons. Other than that its pretty simple

Eric

Tony Van Dort
CONTRIBUTOR 2018 - Mod
Member # 137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Van Dort   Email Tony Van Dort   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool!
Too easy....thanks Eric.

Posts: 2353 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©