JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » chastain bows (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: chastain bows
aroflyte
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aroflyte   Email aroflyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone shooting a wapiti bow? What are your likes/dislikes?
Posts: 130 | From: chicago heights, Illinois | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCATTERSHOT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCATTERSHOT   Email SCATTERSHOT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keith makes a great shooting bow. I have had two of his bows, and found them to be tough as nails and very smooth, but his finish work is more of a hunter type finish, if you get my drift. His takedown recurve is also pretty heavy.

--------------------
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Posts: 3562 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aroflyte
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aroflyte   Email aroflyte   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean about his finish work. I have three of his t/d recurves. best pulling bows i've shot. He does interesting lines on the risers. Just wish his finish work was as nice as say, my cari-bow. beautiful bow w/antler accents, but stacks the last two inches. I shoot that one when I need to work on form and follow thru. I love the wapitis, just wish i could have the best of both.
Posts: 130 | From: chicago heights, Illinois | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCATTERSHOT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCATTERSHOT   Email SCATTERSHOT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttt for xcpatriarch

--------------------
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Posts: 3562 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karl
Member # 1837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karl   Email Karl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Beautiful limb design. Has great curves. They look great strung or at full draw.
2. Good speed and smooth draw. At my diminutive drawlength of 26" (56# at that length), my Wapiti recurve shoots plenty hard. I saw a guy with a long draw shoot my bow and my jaw dropped. That arrow flat out screamed!
3. Keith has built a few in his time (about 40 years?). You get experience with his bows!
4. Appearance: I selected the woods and design for my bow and I think it looks darn good. His bows aren't as featured or slick as some bows today (some really are works of art) but, hey, I hunt with my bow. I hang art on my wall!!

Dislikes:
1. Appearance on other Wapiti bows: Many of the bows shown on his website are not the finest looking I've seen him produce. Some are too "busy" for MY taste. Also, if Keith offered a gloss finish he could make his bows look more slick but I don't think he is worried about that. He likes his softer "hunter's finish."
Maybe that also comes from the 40 years experience!

Posts: 44 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karl
Member # 1837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karl   Email Karl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also...if you want fastflight-compatible (I have it and I like it), you should state that.
Posts: 44 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
woodslinger
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5208

Icon 1 posted      Profile for woodslinger   Email woodslinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have shot one of his bows for years and really like it. Smooth draw, quiet, tough as nails and hard hitting.

--------------------
Get up close and personal... hunt traditional

Posts: 210 | From: Down East Maine | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chortdraw
Contributor 2010
Member # 775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chortdraw   Email Chortdraw       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 56" SA Recurve and find it to be fine shooting bow.Refinished it with tung oil and it looks great. Fast and stable. Redid the grip to my liking and it is a good tree stand bow.
Posts: 1980 | From: Az. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aroflyte
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2815

i had f/f added on my last bow and am very happy with it. I just dont see many in the midwest.
devildog66
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for devildog66   Email devildog66   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have two Chastain Wapitis; one is a short "Asbell" type riser and the other is a larger and longer riser. I bought both used and they are in excellent condition. Both are heavier bows in draw weight > 65#. The short riser bow has carbon and FF, and the other has no carbon and no FF. Both of them shoot very well and are quite fast. The limb design is more radical than many other recurve and also somewhat thinner and perhaps they can get a twist easier than some other bows but I have not noticed this to be a problem. He used to use actionwood exclusively for its consistency both in the riser and in the limbs. I like them also for the look of being engineered, but I am a true believer in actionwood and other similar laminates as there is nothing more consistent and durable. I believe he now offers additional wood choices. Ultimately, I would rank his work with BW or Palmer for function and performance.

--------------------
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Posts: 730 | From: VA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dachba
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dachba   Email dachba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a year 2000 used Wapiti Spike TD longbow (60# @ 28") as an impulse buy on Ebay and then fell in love with the bow. The arrows just scream out of it and it has a very serious feel to it; no mushiness. It is currently at Keith's shop being refurbished and I can't wait to get it back. I personally prefer it to a number of recurves I have, and to my Martin Savannah. I also find Keith very honest and straight dealing. He is charging me a very minimal fee to refurbish my bow.

His bows are built to efficiently get the job done. Even though they don't have alot of prettiness to them, it's alot like buying a shotgun for combat use. You don't go pretty, you go tough and functional. Besides, I think mine IS pretty (grin). Of course my favorite female opera character is "Brunhilda".

Dave in Ft. Collins, Colorado

--------------------
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Posts: 420 | From: North Bend, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dachba
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dachba   Email dachba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Addendum to my previous post.

I notice devildog66 mentions thin limbs on the recurve. The longbow has narrow thick limbs as opposed to the type of limbs on the Martin Savannah which are flatter and wider.

From using a Jack Cramer longbow and the Wapiti Spike longbow, both with narrow but thick limbs, I find I prefer that style. The bows seem to spit arrows out with more authority and seem less recurve like than the Savannah.

Note: Please don't think I'm knocking the Savannah. I think it is a really great bow and many people love it. I've owned two of them (still own one). It all boils down to a matter of personal preference.
Dave in Ft. Collins, CO

--------------------

Posts: 420 | From: North Bend, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laurenttahiti
Member # 4741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laurenttahiti   Email laurenttahiti   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi from Tahiti,
Sorry for my poor english,I am french.
I own a PSA V 60# from Black Widow and one Wapiti Take down with 2 sets of limbs 50 and 70#.
J.K.Chastain 's bow is great Smoother than the BW and as faster .
Chastain 's bow is a good choice.
Be carefully stringing the bow ,seams to twist easely.

--------------------
Bowhunter from New Caledonia(south pacific)

Posts: 67 | From: New Caledonia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aroflyte
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2815

WOW! response from tahiti! Curious how a wapiti bow found its way to tahiti? I agree you need to be careful when stringing up a wapiti. I wasnt careful and blew one up. Keith was good and stood by his guarantee. Got a new set of limbs and was back in business. I just got a wapiti spike longbow. Its a little heavier than I would like to pull, but it draws smoother than other longbows i've shot. Its got fastflight string on it and wasnt prepared for the noise from the string. Man it can really spit an arrow downrange. I'll have to chronograph it just for fun.
dachba
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6349

Just got my Wapiti Spike back from Keith Chastain. He turned a five year old bow into a new bow. I also think the bow is very attractive. The total cost for refinishing, fixing a problem with the takedown joint, and reducing the draw weight to 55# from 60#, was $50. Considering I only paid $200 for the bow used, I now have a "new" Spike for $250. This is the best deal I've ever gotten on a bow, and it is a serious shooter.

These are sweet shooting bows.

Aroflyte, how heavy is your bow? I'm looking for another used bow in the 60 or so range.
Dave in Ft. Collins, CO

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©