JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » Lewis Hollow Archery.....1 pc recurve

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lewis Hollow Archery.....1 pc recurve
joe vt
Contributor 2016
Member # 253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe vt   Email joe vt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a Lewis Hollow Archery recurve last month. It was a demo bow from a dealer. The bow had a problem with the back overlays on the riser; in a couple of spots the overlays were lifting. It did not effect the shooting characteristics of the bow and the dealer offered it to me at a price I couldn't say no to. What a shooter she is.

I got in contact with Chris Sparks the bowyer. ( http://www.lewishollowarchery.com ) I always do that when I buy a used bow. I like to talk about the design, how long they have been making bows, brace height suggestions, and such. What a nice, mild mannered man. Chris offered to fix the overlays for free!!!! Way cool. I asked him since he was going to have to refinish the bow if he could modify the grip for me. I offered to pay for that. He agreed to modify the grip and I sent out a take down riser for him to match. Chris turned the bow around in 10 days!!! That included shipping time. He also modified the grip for free; in which he match my sent riser perfectly. Talk about great customer service!!!!

So, I got the bow back last week and I got to shoot it a bunch this past weekend. I am not a writer or some guy with eloquent (i used spell check for that word) words but I figured I'd write a little review.

The bow: Lewis Hollow Archery (LHA) 1 pc recurve. 60" 49# @28" Zebra wood riser, carbon cored with sandwiching bamboo limbs and clear glass. Back and belly riser overlays of (I think) , Blood wood, Paduk, and Zebra wood. String: 14 strand flemish Dacron. Brace height: 7 1/2" I did not scale this bow but compared to my other 45-51# bows, the 49# seems accurate. I used 29" 1916's with both 125 gr and 175 gr heads and 29" Beman ICS 500 camo hunters with 175 gr heads and a 25 gr home made adapter.

The grip was modified for my liking; it matches my Robertson T/D recurve. So it feels sweet. Perfect hand placement creating a locked and loaded position. I feel the early pre-load of the limbs. Nothing mushy, nothing harsh. The draw back to approx 29" is smooth and consistent. I draw to about 29" then settle back to my anchor of 28" ish. There is a slight feel of handshock, no more than any other recurve I have shot with Dacron. I did put a high performance string on her and the handshock disappeared like I knew it would; it also sent the arrow a bit faster. But I like dacron. [Smile]

The bow is light in the hand yet not overly light. It's the first Zebra wood bow I've had. At first I didn't like the lightness of the color, but it has grown on me and I'm liking it more and more each day. I can envision it disappearing in the woods. And who can not like the look of bamboo through clear glass? [Razz] The bow is stable through out the draw, no limb twitching here. The bow is also stable upon release of the string. I tried the brace as low as 7" and felt it a bit unforgiving. As I moved the brace up, 7 1/2" became evident of the sweet spot. I have no problem hitting where I aim her. I do not have a chrono, but in comparing my LHA recurve with my other bows; she's plenty fast. I would dare say the fastest of my herd. The bow is nice and quiet with Dacron. With the high performance string it was a bit noisier; more high pitch sound than the low rubble of Dacron.

Bottom line........for me: this is a Smooth, Accurate, Quiet, Hard hitting 1 pc recurve. One, I'm sure that will stick around for a long time. [thumbsup]

For those that are interested; Chris states on his website a "Try Before You Buy" program. You gotta love that.

--------------------
~ joe vt >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 1976 | From: Northwest Vermont | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fishmerf
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fishmerf   Author's Homepage   Email fishmerf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joe,
I have been saying the same thing for a year now. I am not sure that you will meet a nicer guy. I have been around Chris quite a few times and he is as steady as they come.
He builds some of the smoothest shooting one piece recurve I have ever shot. Congratulations on your new bow.
fishmerf

Posts: 248 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparta-T
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparta-T   Email Sparta-T       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I didn't get the chance to shoot Merf's bow, I did hold and draw his Lewis Hollow and it was a nice piece of work. With many established bowyers out there, it is still nice to see a new guy develop his skills and get some good PR. From what Shane told me, Chris is a gentleman to deal with as well.

TL

--------------------
Doubt is a traitor that makes us lose what we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
Shakespeare

Posts: 3279 | From: Sparta, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ky_longbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 327

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ky_longbow   Author's Homepage   Email ky_longbow       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i recently purchased a 1 piece from Chris,man what a bow, and a great bowyer to deal with also!
i have found my "needle in a haystack" so to speak.
i couldnt be happier with a bow,60" 59#@29"(my draw length)
shoots like a dream, fast quiet and most of all ACCURATE........what more could you want?
after shooting trad for 6 years , my confidence has really grown with this bow........
you cant go wrong.........

--------------------
if your not living on the edge,your taking up too much room!!
MEMBER-K.T.B.A.

Posts: 1977 | From: KENTUCKY | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe vt
Contributor 2016
Member # 253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe vt   Email joe vt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yummy!!

-

--------------------
~ joe vt >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 1976 | From: Northwest Vermont | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©