JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » Chek-mate Hunter 2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chek-mate Hunter 2
vaporbowhunter
Member # 5890

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vaporbowhunter   Email vaporbowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im considering purchasing this bow but would like to know what you think of it, pros and cons. For the riser i would get Purpleheart and bubinga and for the limbs elm. What would these woods produce together out of this bow like how quiet it would be, smoothness, durabilty, forgiving, speed ect. Thanks for your help.

--------------------
Aim Small

Miss Small

Posts: 5 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2Knives
2017 Contributor
Member # 586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Knives   Author's Homepage   Email 2Knives   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love my Chek-Mate. I wouldn't (and didn't) hesitated to get another one! Mine is Purpleheart and Bubinga riser, elm limbs #55. It's very forgiving and shoots too smooth.
Now...for the bad. My only complaint is the grip. I have small hands and I prefer the small grip of my OLD Damon-Howatt. I was turned off at first of the H2 grip. Since I got it and started shooting it, I think that I may shoot better with the larger grip. I think it makes me loosen up more. You won't be sorry for getting a Mate...trust me. Just give Chad a call and he'll answer all your questions. The customer service is one of the reasons that I got a Chek-Mate longbow. Chad answered all my stupid questions and didn't even laugh at me. Check out my album for pictures of my H2 and my Crusader. Drop me a line if you need more info.

http://community.webshots.com/album/74358438BIijYF

--------------------
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Posts: 968 | From: a TEXAN living in South Dakota | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NativeArcher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NativeArcher   Email NativeArcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently picked up a Chek-mate Raven, from a fellow member of this site, and if the Shootability of the Raven is any indication of their other bows you wont be sorry buying a Chek-mate. Not only a smooth shooter but beautifully made. My Raven has a cocobolo riser and birdseye maple limb laminations, such a beautiful bow.

--------------------
"how many bows do you need".my wife
Every moving thing that is alive shall be food for you; I give all to you , as I gave the green plant. Genesis 9:3

Posts: 488 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ion
Member # 5295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ion   Email Ion   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got into traditional target shooting with a 58" Hunter 1 model. Id had a loan of a Howatt 54# bow and went with a 46# Chek-mate for my first trad bow. I did make a small modification to the handle at the front (Im a woodcarver and cant resist using tools) to get my hand to grip evenly. Depending on the event, Ive shot heavy wooden arrows...2114 aluminums and even 2013's and it shoots far better than any of the bows Ive picked up along the way since. Ive shot rounds over 300 with it in 3D and find it very stable, fogiving and accurate. It does have a bit of a rattle to it that was cured with some string silencers.
Posts: 8 | From: Oshawa, Canada | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
12Ring
Cadet Member
Member # 5718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 12Ring   Author's Homepage   Email 12Ring   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
purple heart is absolutely beautiful, i just got a bow in last week mado of purple heart and curly maple. it is awesome. 12RIng

--------------------
Two Rivers Traditional Bowhunters
Central Arkansas Bowhunters
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas
Arkansas Bowhunters Association

Posts: 825 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RH
Member # 4415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RH   Email RH   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive got two Check-mate recurves a 56 inch 56lbs at28 and a Hunter II 58 inch 54 at 28 the 56 has elm limbs with bubingaand shedua the58 Hunter II has black walnut limbs with bibinga shedua and a stripe of purpleheart,love both of them their great bows, and Chad is a great fellow to deal with. R.H
Posts: 59 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deadeyed
Member # 5576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deadeyed   Email deadeyed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had 4 chek-mates 2 Hunter2 and 2 Hunter1

The Hunter1 I have now (and will never sell) is all cocobolo riser with yew limbs.

With the limbs black walnut and yew are my favorites. Both are very smooth but I like the way Yew looks.

For the riser. Do you like a light bow or a heavy bow I like them heavy,hence the cocobolo

When I order a new bow I ask the bower what is the best perforning woods he has to offer. In my price range.

Posts: 50 | From: Alabama | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manyletters
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manyletters   Email manyletters       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have 4 Chek-mates in the family. A firebird, a longhorn, a mini crusader and a knock off of a cascade. They are all very well made and have not had any problems with them. They are all shooters...dead in the hand on release and sweet to shoot...and great service from Chad at www.recurves.com You can't go wrong with a Chek-mate [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]
Posts: 749 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bushman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bushman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what is the real difference between the hunter I and hunter II? Is it just a matter of taste or are there spesific characteristics to be aware of?
Posts: 175 | From: Norway | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
granny
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for granny   Email granny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference between a Hunter I & II; Hunter I is a straight riser, Hunter II is a deflex riser( much more forgiving)They are very nice looking bows and GREAT shooters.
Posts: 447 | From: St Louis Mo. | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©