JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » Robertson Stykbo Fusion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Robertson Stykbo Fusion
mikeschwister
Member # 5096

Icon 14 posted      Profile for mikeschwister   Author's Homepage   Email mikeschwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just recieved my Robertson Fusion Hybrid from Dick and Yote. The bow is 62" ntn and 66# @ 28". Bamboo limb core with juniper veneer and cocobolo riser. Grip and shelf are tanned leather. I got the bow and lowered to brace height to 7" and the nock set for nock over. I also added a pressure point to the rest as this is part of my tuning process and the Robertsons use a flat shelf. Bow fit and finish is absolutely flawless, a true work of art. The colors are both stunning and subtle. Clear finish is matte and also flawless. The Robertsons grind their own laminations and do their own wood shaping and it is obvious in superior fit and finish. This bow is a true Hybrid with limb tips a little wider than longbows, and a very pronounced R/D. Almost looks like a recurve unstrung. Dick and Yote are reluctant to call it a longbow, and I now see why. The bow is VERY smooth to 28", even at a short 62" I was looking for 64" or longer, but went with Dicks recommendation, and am very happy. Bow draws like a 66" R/D bow. I had them match the handle to an old Ferguson, and they got the grip perfect, even though the look is pure robertson ( I don't know how they did it, as the grip looked funny on the robertson, and "fits" the Fusion) The bow bare shaft tuned immediately with 2219s and flitemates with 160 grain glue ons. This arrow is somewhere around 9.5 grains per inch. I have not put it on the chrony, but it appears in the mid 190s (faster than my best recurve of the same weight) Bow is as smooth and fast as the best recurve, but is also as pointable and torque resistant as a Hill Style Longbow. Bow noise is about the same as a quiet recurve, but I think I can quiet it down even more. No handshock (at least I can't feel it). I put a Great Northern Quiver on the bow and bare shafted again. The bow was affected very little, only dropping spine requirement about 5# and spraying arrows a little. This is even less than my one piece recurves (I no longer put bow quivers on one piece bows because of the quiver affect of ALL strap on style quivers). I think this bow is the gold standard for hybrids. I give it a strongly recommend to someone looking for a bow with recurve speed and smoothness and longbow stability and pointability. I ordered the bow just before Christmas and recieved it on April 21st.

Mike

Posts: 63 | From: Northen Virginia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikeschwister
Member # 5096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeschwister   Author's Homepage   Email mikeschwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction to the above, change to "the grip looked funny on the Ferguson"............ just not enough coffee yet..........
Posts: 63 | From: Northen Virginia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikeschwister
Member # 5096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeschwister   Author's Homepage   Email mikeschwister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh, now that I am awake I see another mistake, the 2219 is 9.5 grain per pound of draw, not per inch.

Egad

Steve Jackson
Member # 6264

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Jackson   Email Steve Jackson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was there a specific reason you went with the hybrid?
Is it intended for any type of specific hunting?
I have a couple of Dick's bows and one on the way. His work is great and a very helpful man to boot.

Posts: 6 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Longbow57
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Longbow57   Email Longbow57   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dick Robertson makes a great bow. I would be curious, if you can, to see a comparison between the Fusion and his standard bow.

All I need is an excuse to get one more bow...oh, well.

Posts: 100 | From: Littleton, CO | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikeschwister
Member # 5096

The best way to describe a fusion is if you bred a vision peregrine recurve to a purist longbow. His longbows are longer, narrower, and have deeper cores and much less R/D. His recurves are wider, thinner, and have more recurve. The bow is a very nice happy medium with many of the advantages of both desings. Workmanship is flawless, as is all his bows.
Northridge
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Northridge   Email Northridge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love to see it. Can you post pics?
Posts: 119 | From: Savage, MN | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparta-T
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparta-T   Email Sparta-T       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike.....Just a note about editing. If you want to correct a post on TG, just click on the top line icon that looks like a paper and pencil. It will put you in edit mode, where you can make corrections without having additional posts. Makes a lot more sense than trying to explain context corrections out of context.

TL

--------------------
Doubt is a traitor that makes us lose what we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
Shakespeare

Posts: 3279 | From: Sparta, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©