JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » Moccasins (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Moccasins
Frank V
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3547

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Frank V   Email Frank V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how many, if any of you wear moccasins either to hunt in or general wear.
I do, I have been using Carl Dyer's Moccasins for several years, & they are the best. They will build them to your foot with a foot tracing, & they wear like iron. I used a pair almost daily in the summer for two years, mostly asphalt around here, & I finally had to have them resoled last month. They are in Friendship Ind. & it only took 3 weeks to get them back.
They are hand sticthed,look & feel good. I like to use them archery deer hunting. Here the season opens mid Aug. very hot in 90s sometimes. These moccasins let me feel any twigs or other things that may make noise while walking. Not good in pine needles!
Carl Dyer's advertises in TBM, They are not the least expensive Mocs you can buy, but quite possibly the best. Thought someone might be interested Frank. www,carldyers.com

--------------------
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Posts: 1961 | From: S.W. Montana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tajue17
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tajue17   Email Tajue17   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Frank V.. I have a pair I have had for about 5yrs and wearing them mostly in the woods they are the best you can buy!

--------------------
"Us vs Them"

Posts: 3149 | From: Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ber643
Contributor 2013
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ber643   Author's Homepage   Email ber643   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been thinking seriously about that. I wore boots (cowboy, military, and or hunting types depending on what I was doing and where I was) for most of my life and was always comfortable. Still have a lot of them. A "few" years back it started getting harder and harder to find anything that my feet were/are comfortable in and/or don't swell. I wear my El Cheapo slipper mocasins (gone through many pairs) most of the time now in and around the house. I do use rubber boots (Muck - love 'em) mostly for hunting. Was telling the wife just the other day I guessed I should invest in some good mocasins - and I have heard about (and seen the ad) Carl Dyer's. I've seen good comments about them so many times it is hard to doubt it but please tell me more about what makes them so good though?

--------------------
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 21411 | From: S Coastal NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dachba
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dachba   Email dachba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank V. Your link to the Carl Dyer's website has a comma rather than a period after the www.
For anyone who wants to go to Carl's site, use this link instead: www.carldyers.com

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO

--------------------
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Posts: 420 | From: North Bend, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank V
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank V   Email Frank V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, You'r correct! dang fingers! Sometimes punch wrong keys. It'd help to proofread too. Everyone use the link on dachba's reply. www.carldyers.com They are excellent moccasins, you will like them. Frank. Sorry!

--------------------

Posts: 1961 | From: S.W. Montana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank V
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank V   Email Frank V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ber643. The moccasins are all hand stitched, lock stitched, They are made of very thick leather, it is up to 1/4" thick. Made from Swiss dairy cattle 16 - 18 years old. I'm quoting from Carl Dyer's catalog. Tanned in England, using an exclusive double bath chrome tanning process which includes the use of artesian spring water & mutton tallow. It increases the tensile strenght of the leather without sacrificing any of it's suppleness. The end result is a thick, water resistant, flexible leather that is comfortable to wear, yet extremely durable. Say durable again they really are.
I have spoken to them on the phone several times, & they really do want you pleased with their product. If you go to their web you can see all of the moccasins they offer. Call them, they will really try to please you & offer helpfull advise. Gosh haven't typed this much in a long time. Frank

--------------------

ber643
Contributor 2013
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ber643   Author's Homepage   Email ber643   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Frank (for all the typing [Wink] ) I did go to the site and looked around - but it helps to hear customers words though - straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

--------------------

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 21411 | From: S Coastal NC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank V
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3547

Ber643, Thanks, if you try a pair you will like them. I expecially like the rendezvous, but I like & wear the lace boots alot. They are a 3 eye moccasin. I do wear them hunting too just not in pine needles. Frank

--------------------

huntsmanlance
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for huntsmanlance   Author's Homepage   Email huntsmanlance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Frank how are the mocs on being slippery on wet grass and such? That is the only problem i have found with other mocs i have worn.

Thanks!

--------------------
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Posts: 1760 | From: Moore, Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeremy
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 4149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeremy   Email Jeremy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know how they compare to arrowmocs? http://www.arrowmoc.com/

--------------------
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Posts: 5065 | From: East Haddam, CT | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank V
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3547

Huntsmanlance, The Carl Dyers have leather soles that are plain (no tread) they would be slick on wet grass,pine needles, mud, etc. I also don't wear them in real rocky conditions. I use LLBean Main Hunting Shoe in wet conditions. Here In Calif. it is dry & warm much of the hunting season so moccasins are a viable shoe. Snake country, I'd use a higher top boot.
I buy the double sole moccasin & they last really well, as I said before I wear them on asphalt & went 2 years before I had to have them resoled. I like them ! Frank

--------------------

Flints
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flints   Email Flints   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron Ouelletes moccasins (www.arrowmoc.com) look very similar to Dyers.I thought I had read somewhere that he had worked for Dyers years ago. Not too sure if that is accurate. The moccasin construction description seems almost identical.Both use hides from Swiss cattle.

--------------------
If a man that is not perfect be ever in practice, he shall as well
practice his errors as his abilities and induce one habit of both; and there is no means to help this but by intermission - Francis bacon

Posts: 128 | From: NH | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Strubberg
Contributor 2010
Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Strubberg   Email Jeff Strubberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real easy fix for slick moccasins. Just coat the bottoms of them with rubber cement and tire shavings. Both Fred Asbell and Jay Massey talk about the technique in their books.

As for Dyer moccasins, I bought my dad a pair after he went through nine pairs of cheapies in six years. That was seven years ago, and his Dyers are still going storng.

--------------------
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies" -Herodotus

Posts: 3508 | From: Linn, MO | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ber643
Contributor 2013
Member # 72

That's interesting, Jeff. I was a little concerned about the slipping - what with all our Loblolly Pines here in NC - makes sense to me - make 'em non-skid, eh? Like to know more about the tire shavings - could probably use coarse sand or silicone like they do in paint too.

--------------------

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Jeff Strubberg
Contributor 2010
Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Strubberg   Email Jeff Strubberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just head down to the nearest place that sells and mounts tires and ask 'em if you can have a handful of shavings off the balancing machine.

The shave the tire to tweak the balance. Works sort of like a large grinder. The shavings are almost powder. Just coat the bottom of the moc with barge or contact cement, let dry, apply another coat, sprinkle with shavings. After that dries brush on one more coat of cement and you can't possibly slip. Lasts close to a year for my Dad, and he runs the entire farm outta those mocs.

--------------------
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies" -Herodotus

Posts: 3508 | From: Linn, MO | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©