JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » I Remember Papa Bear book review

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I Remember Papa Bear book review
Jake
SPONSOR
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake   Email Jake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look no further the the first word in the title. "I" The book is more about the authors life alongside Fred, than it is about Fred. He makes no excuses and tells the readers up front of his books content and intention. After reading other books about Mr. Bear by Bob Munger and Charlie Kroll this book was a huge disappointment fro me. It reads like a school History text book or owners manual for most of the content. Some facts were interesting and amusing but the author drags simple stories into lengthy chapters that made me want to skip to the next to see if it got any better.
There is no doubt the author,Dick Lattimer, had much love and admiration for his friend and boss Fred Bear. Mr. Lattimers accomplishments in the archery world are no doubt monumental. He is in the Hall of Fame. However this book is boring and I often times had to put it down because it wouldn't hold my attention. Any good book will leave you wanting more when you are done. When I got to page 368 I was glad it was over. I did learn some very interesting things about Fred Bear and the history of archery. The book is not a total loss. However I feel it could have been about half the size and been just as effective. Quality doesn't always mean quantity.
Would I reccommend this book???? For the Hardcore Fred Bear fan or traditional archery buff... it is a must have for your library. If you are looking for a book of adventure and great stories about Fred Bear then look elsewhere.
No direspect for Mr. Lattimer as I am sure he spent countless hours on this and only intended the best. He had the honor of spending much of his life with Fred and was taken in by the Bear's as a "son". It just left me disappointed.

--------------------
www.kmesharp.com

Posts: 2410 | From: IN | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dachba
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dachba   Email dachba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake, thanks for the good review. It saved me some money. I may still buy it but will wait until it can be found used at a low price.
Dave in Ft. Collins, CO

--------------------
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Posts: 420 | From: North Bend, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bayoulongbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bayoulongbowman   Email bayoulongbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake , I agree I was disapointed as well when I read it! Marco#78...but some parts just had the romance left out.

--------------------
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had better be right!"

Posts: 12170 | From: Baton Rouge , La. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparta-T
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparta-T   Email Sparta-T       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the 'heads up', Jake. Being from MI, I tend to look twice at anything about Fred Bear. There are too many highly recommended trad related books available to spend valuable time trudging through those that are not engaging.

TL

--------------------
Doubt is a traitor that makes us lose what we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
Shakespeare

Posts: 3279 | From: Sparta, MI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Walsh
Member # 4033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Walsh   Email Tom Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent review. I was curious about the book. Thank you for your thoughtful insights.
Posts: 99 | From: Quincy, MA. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake
SPONSOR
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake   Email Jake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought others would like an opinion before they bought it. I would have waited for a used copy if I had know. Best too all!

--------------------
www.kmesharp.com

Posts: 2410 | From: IN | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Woodduck
Charter Member
Member # 50

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Woodduck   Author's Homepage   Email Woodduck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to add my $0.02...
If you are a hard core Fred Bear fan you better get it. I got mine, autographed copy, some folks won't do this for you, and I appreciated it, off ebay.
If you enjoy recent archery history, it's well researched(he lived it).
I bought it, enjoyed it, learned some things, relived some days and will keep my copy.
It was well written but not exactly what I expected either. There are many excellent photos that were better than I expected, added a lot to the book, and I especially enjoyed them.

--------------------
Happy trails.... ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit---> (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Posts: 2603 | From: RBX to OBX | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank V
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank V   Email Frank V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am reading it now, there are some dry spots in it, but also some very good info that I did not know.

--------------------
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Posts: 1961 | From: S.W. Montana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camocowboy
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for camocowboy   Email camocowboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I talked to Dick at Compton and he told me that the publishers edited much of his writings out. I know he asked if he could use my Fred Bear song as a prelude. Well guess what. It found the editing room floor. If you look in the credits, I still got a credit. Go figure. I think that Dick's book cuts through much of the romance we have attached to Fred Bear and simply relates things the way they happened. I enjoyed it. JB
Posts: 446 | From: livingston tn | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeff w
Contributor 2015
Member # 569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeff w   Email jeff w   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sad reading about the strike. I enjoyed it, it was a different perspective about Fred Bear and Bear Archery. I'm glad Dick wrote it and just wish Frank Scott would have left us with some written stories too.
Posts: 648 | From: east ky | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©