JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » One Man's opinion of Blacktail T/D Recurve

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: One Man's opinion of Blacktail T/D Recurve
Danny Rowan
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Danny Rowan   Email Danny Rowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had my eye on a blacktail recurve for some time. Wanted to order a Snakebit, but finances would not allow. I found a cocobolo footed with ebony elite vl at Stick and String Archery, a dealer for Blacktail bows.

I recieved the bow a couple of weeks ago and have been shooting it every day. At first I found the grip to be a bit of a problem,it was biting into my hand at the base of my thumb. I adjusted the way I grip the bow and the problem went away. These are beautiful bows to look at and they preform just as well as they look. I find that my 60# @28" likes 70/75 all the way to 80/85 spine arrows, they all fly straight and true. It loves a heavy hunting arrow and really pounds the target. I have some 75/80 Forgewoods made up with 145gr Simmons sharks and that gives me a total arrow weight of 765-785gr. Out to 25 yards they fly flat and true they drop some from 30 yards and out, but I will not be shooting at any game from that distance.

All and all I am very pleased with my new Blacktail Elite VL. A beautiful,powerful great shooting bow.

I highly recommed the bows and Stick and String Archery. If you want a Blacktail and do not want to wait for a year to get it, check out Stick and String they are one of the TG sponsers.

Danny

--------------------
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Posts: 7903 | From: Guam | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Straitshot
2017 Contributor
Member # 1836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Straitshot   Email Straitshot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Danny, You are not alone. In my humble opinion Norm Johnson of Blacktail Bows is a master craftsman second to none. I have had one of his bows, I aquired from another fellow about a year and a half ago, and have enjoyed it so much I ordered another one from him. There is a long wait for one of his bows, so far 10 months, but hopefully sometime next month it will make it to my hot little hands. There are a number of excellent custom bow makers out there and Norm Johnson, in my opinion, is one of the ones that stands right at the top. You can't go wrong with a Blacktail!

--------------------
A man's true measure is not found in what he says, but in what he does.

Posts: 966 | From: San Angelo, Texas | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aurelius
Member # 4379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aurelius   Email aurelius   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 weeks ago the IFAA European Bowhunter Championship took place at Bagno di Romagna, central Italy

Both the winner and the second of BHR (bowhunter recurve) category shot ... Blacktail TD elite recurves, with ebony riser and bamboo limbs

Great shooters, great bows ...

BTW, I was 37th on 70 archers with my Jordan Stalker TD. I am glad with my shooting, it is only 1 year 3 months I shoot a bow at all

Posts: 3 | From: perugia, italy | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeW
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeW   Author's Homepage   Email MikeW       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
At first I found the grip to be a bit of a problem,it was biting into my hand at the base of my thumb.
Same deal with mine. I ended up with a calouse right there. I'm ordering an other one right now and I'm going to talk to him about the grip.

--------------------
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Posts: 1823 | From: Escondido,CA. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©