JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Click Here for the
Professional Bowhunters Society AUCTION 2017

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » Check Mate's "Attila" and "Longhorn"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Check Mate's "Attila" and "Longhorn"
zentaur
Member # 7321

Icon 5 posted      Profile for zentaur   Email zentaur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi folks.

as a new member from the other side of the "great water" i'd like to ask u a question.
since my onepiece recuve cracked ( cheap mass-production) [Mad] i'm thinking about getting myself -finally- a decent bow. [Roll Eyes]

does anybody have expierences with the two (or at least one of them) bows listed in the topic's title?

is it possible to shoot such bows with 350grain carbon-arrows (easton "excel" 500) at 55# @ 28" ?
or does that reduce the lifeexpectancy dramatically of such a bow?

greetings from good ol' germany.

Posts: 6 | From: Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehntr
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehntr   Author's Homepage   Email ehntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No experience with either of those bows......but do have experience with a Chek-Mate Crusader. You could shoot these bows with 350 gr arrows safely, but I would have to ask why? Kind of light for hunting and your bow is going to be noisy. I shoot Easton Excel 500s as well but I add a lot of weight up front by using 100 gr brass inserts + heavy FP or broadheads.
Posts: 76 | From: Morinville AB | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaylorJohn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7233

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TaylorJohn   Author's Homepage   Email TaylorJohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty new to archery, but I own a Chek Mate Atilla.

I tried a bunch of traditional longbows and recurves at the archery store before buying my Atilla, and I must say -- the handshock on the Atilla was extremely minimal (I've read somewhere that it's an exceptional bow for low handshock.)

It's also a pretty short bow, too -- making it a good choice for hunting in thick brush (as opposed to some of the long bows).

All in all, I'm very happy with my purchase. It didn't exactly "break the bank" (well, in my teenager part time job case: it did), but it seems to be a very good bow! (I only say "seems" because I'm not the greatest archer yet).

Here is a review made by someone who is a much more accredited archer than I:

http://bowshow.com/checkmate_attila.htm

PS: The Longhorn looks amazingly nice. I think that'll be my next bow (once I move up to a higher draw weight).

--------------------
- Taylor

Posts: 222 | From: London, Ontario | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zentaur
Member # 7321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zentaur   Email zentaur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ehntr

since in germany hunting by bow is not allowed, i only shoot on our range or on tournaments with "3D animals" .

therefore the arrows can be as light, as the bow can take [Cool]

@all
thanks a lot for your answers.

i haven't decided yet wich bow i should buy.
bob lee, black widow, check mate a.s.o. .........

any suggestions?

Posts: 6 | From: Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bentpole
Contributor 2014
Member # 6180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentpole   Email bentpole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had a check-mate hunter -2 dollar for dollar us to canada exchange rate; the bow was hard to beat fast very well made and very reasonable.they also make a longer limb one piece that would be even better for strickly target shooting the name escapes me but go on there web and you can find it .
Posts: 7480 | From: pequannock n.j. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehntr
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehntr   Author's Homepage   Email ehntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zentaur.............I didn't notice where you were from until after I posted. I did know that bow hunting was not allowed in Deutschland. I lived there for four years (Lahr/Schwarzwald). Anyway, I prefer longbows over recurves and as for the makers of bows that you mentioned, you can't go wrong with Chek-Mate. In my opinion, BW is overpriced. The newer longbows will perform right up there with the best recurves and Check-Mate longbows are great performers. The Crusader comes in a Take Down or one piece. Check out the Chek-Mate lineup at recurves.com or archerybymail.com/ If you want to speak technically about any Chek-Mate bow or ask questions about all Chek-Mate mate models email Chad at longbowrules@hotmail.com (the owner of recurves.com)..........auf Wiederhören
Posts: 76 | From: Morinville AB | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zentaur
Member # 7321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zentaur   Email zentaur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well thx for your help guys!

but i now have decided to have one made by a bowyer (is that correct?) nearby frankfurt/main -that's where i live). this dude has already build my longbow.
a real beauty (in my oppinion).
he'll make me a recurve for a reasonable price xactly the way i want it.
shipping, handling and tax is so incredibly expensive, that he is almost cheaper and it's going to be my very special and own bow. the one and only. he never makes one design twice.

@ehntr
hope u liked it here.

so long.

c y'all

jan

Motega
Member # 7549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Motega   Author's Homepage   Email Motega   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saw you were considering a Black Widow...I've owned 2 and for the price I'm not all that impressed. A great looking bow for sure but little things like charging $80 for shipping have led me away. My longbow made by them was slow and stacked (IMO). My recurve is too light for me (at my draw length it's only shooting around 40#) and is only around 150 fps with 400 or so grains worth of arrow.
Posts: 35 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joeare
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joeare   Email joeare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Jan, I also live in Germany and I am going to sell a very nice recurve because I am more into longbows now. It is a Saxon Hawk 60" long and has 58#@29" that is about 55#@28". It is one of themost beautiful custom recurves and it is very fast. It was built at the beginning of this year and I have barely shot it - it is like new. If you want I can email some pics.
Grüße aus München,
Joe

Posts: 187 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joeare
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joeare   Email joeare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Jan, I also live in Germany and I am going to sell a very nice recurve because I am more into longbows now. It is a Saxon Hawk 60" long and has 58#@29" that is about 55#@28". It is one of the most beautiful custom recurves and it is very fast. It was built at the beginning of this year and I have barely shot it - it is like new. If you want I can email some pics.
Grüße aus München,
Joe

Posts: 187 | From: Germany | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©