Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » Mongolian Recurve Bow (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mongolian Recurve Bow
cassowary
Member # 13322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassowary   Email cassowary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of getting a Mongolian Bow. Does anyone know what sort of velocity I can get out of this bow? I was thinking of getting one from Lajos Kassai:

http://felszerelesek.lovasijaszat.hu/felszerelesek/index.php?module=bows&id=14&lang=2

Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robtattoo
Assoc. Sponsor
Member # 9039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robtattoo   Author's Homepage   Email robtattoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About 150fps if you're very, very lucky. Be prepared for horrific handshock too. Those syahs at the limb-ends carry a lot of weight forward with them. Spining arrows for me has been a complete nightmare (I have the Wolf II, by the way) I started off 10# below draw-weight & worked my way up until I found a shaft that flew OK-ish. I certainly would not be tempted to hunt with it. Draw-weight on these little Mongols is very deceptive. A 50# bow will feel like a 35#er. I would be tempted (If you're serious about buying one) to go with the Bear. Much higher weights available & by all accounts, the best of the bunch. The laminated bows on offer are a totally different thing altogether. Far, far faster & superior in every way (Although twice the price)

I have to say, Lajos Kassai's customer service was excellent, although you may not end up with the bow you want. Through repeated EMails I was steered towards the WolfII due to having a 29-1/2" drawlenth. Apparently, most of their bows stack like mad above 27"

Overall, the bow's OK. Nothing special & fine as a diversion, but I wouldn't call it a serious hunting bow by any stretch of the imagination.

--------------------
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 5099 | From: Tullahoma, TN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tomtom
Member # 12487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tomtom   Email tomtom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I talked to a young lady at local 3D shoot last week, who also shoots a Kassai bow.

She owns two of them, one 38# "Agar" model and another model with 42#. She had both of them chronographed a few weeks ago with the following results:

38# Agar with 5/16 spruce arrows: 140 fps
42# (don't remember the name) with carbons: ~150 fps.

However I don't know her drawlength, as she shoots "asian" style, drawing back to below the ear..

Shooting Style another one of her..

Posts: 4 | From: Austria | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassowary
Member # 13322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cassowary   Email cassowary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information. That was helpful. Now I am looking at Grozer's bows. Got any opinion of them?

Hungarian Middle Ages is supposed to be fast. So is the Assyrian and the Turkish.

Posts: 19 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robtattoo
Assoc. Sponsor
Member # 9039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robtattoo   Author's Homepage   Email robtattoo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ermmm......cheap, slow & horrible versions of the Kassai. Nothing good to say about them at all. Badly made, shoddy finish, unbelievable handshock (think dry-firing a Jerry Hill x 5) The very worst of the bunch to be perfectly honest. If you're serious about a Mongol/Hunnic style bow, save up and look long & hard at the Salukis. Lightyears ahead of Grozer & Kassai & DEFINATELY worth the extra bucks

--------------------
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 5099 | From: Tullahoma, TN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mullet
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mullet   Author's Homepage   Email mullet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Grozer I hunted hogs with in June.Shooting Wendsels on carbon shafts.I got a complete passthrough the shield of one and a passthrough the hip and neck of a 150# sow.This bow is 70# and feels like55.I chrono'ed it @188 with the carbons.
Posts: 477 | From: lakeland fl | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassowary
Member # 13322

Salukis are awfully expensive. What do you guys think of this one:

http://www.bowstick.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_16&products_id=774

mullet
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mullet   Author's Homepage   Email mullet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like a copy of one of Vincent Minors bamboo bows.
Posts: 477 | From: lakeland fl | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassowary
Member # 13322

Who is Vincent Minors?
JEFF B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEFF B   Email JEFF B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im with rob on that one [thumbsup]

--------------------
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Posts: 8805 | From: auckland new zealand | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
threeundr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for threeundr   Email threeundr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Salukis are the way to go, best investment in this style bow you will ever make! Leonard.

--------------------
-Leonard Smith-

Posts: 769 | From: Whitehouse, Tx. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cassowary
Member # 13322

Salukis are too expensive. I am not sure if they are worth it.

The reason why I am looking at Asian horsebows is that I think we can get more speed out of them lb for lb of draw weight compared to longbows.

A good 50 lb composite probably gives you the same speed as a 60 lb longbow.

mullet
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3512

Vincent is from North Carolina,Archery co is Bows of Wood.He is James Parkers brother in law who makes bamboo backed bows and went in partnership with Saluki I believe.I hunted with James last year and he had a 38"horn composite bow that was pulling 32" and had an arrow screaming at65# pull.
cassowary
Member # 13322

I have been doing research on the interent. Here are the bow speeds of some Asian bows:

http://www.atarn.org/letters/ltr_jan03.htm

All except one are made by Grozer. The exception was a Saluki whose speed is about the same as Grozer's bows.

I think Asian bows are better than longbows and recurves. That is because it stores more energy and are more efficient.

The 'C' shape allows more energy to be stored when strung. The siyahs (ears) act as levers. Thus a 50 lb bow feels like a 35 lb bow.

As you know a lever can allow a force of one pound to lift say a three pounds object if the one pound force moves three times the distance of the three pounds weight being lifted.

So the siyahs allow for a longer draw length. Thus to take full advantage of an Asian horsebow, you should draw the bowstring all the way to your ear.

(See the link, "shooting style", provided above by Tomtom)

Here is another interesting link giving data of bow speeds of Turkish bows:

http://www.atarn.org/islamic/akarpowicz/turkish_bow_tests.htm

From this, I estimate that the IBO speed for these bows to be about 250 feet per second. Pretty good, I think.

I think Asian bows beats the longbow. To confirm this, I am going to test the Kassai Wolf III, the Grozer Hungarian of the Middle Ages and a Turkish style bow from bowstick.com by shooting them through a chronometer. Will post their results here in case anybody is interested.

Angus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angus   Email Angus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Homer, I own one of his bows, a Vazul. It's one awesome bow! Absolutely NO handshock, no stacking, super lightweight. I ordered it through 3Rivers, and wanted 50lbs of draw weight. It pulls a little less, about 46lbs. Initially, I was disappointed, but went to my pro shop for some arrows just in case. It's an incredibly beautiful, graceful bow, by the way. We grabbed an old XX75 gamegetter, and, as none of the guys at the shop had ever seen a bow like this in the flesh, they all gathered around the target butt in the back when i fired the arrow. there was a collective gasp of "whoa" when I released. It shoots like a laser bolt! Took 2 of us to get the arrow out of the target! the thing never fails to turn heads wherever I go, and Ace makes medieval target points, along with some accurate representational warheads. I shoot lighter spruce arrows stained black, with red, very small but long, feathers, wrapped with red silk. that's the good news! The bad news is: order a light pull if you're going to shoot with a thumb ring-it's tough going on your finger, and you can't shoot enough to build up a callous on the thumb with a heavy bow. Also, if you shoot with a mediterranean release, you'll need a glove on your bow hand. I agree completely with your research, the Asiatic composite is faster, hits harder, and is more easily carried. Before you order, though, you might check out Seven Meadows Archery.
http://www.sevenmeadowsarchery.com/genwebpage.ihtml?formid=1

this gives me an incentive to attempt to post a photo of the bow and my arrows, so when time allows, I'll give it a try.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate member
Wenatchi River Traditional Archers

Posts: 329 | From: Leavenworth, WA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©