JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » Bear Super Kodiak

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bear Super Kodiak
Shooter#21
Member # 44340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shooter#21   Email Shooter#21   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently purchased a 60" SK L/H 40# and review follows.

First of all it is an absolutely beautiful bow. It is the dark red/charcoal color which I prefer. The bow was very loud at first but after adding limb groove felt and yarn string silencers it is better. Still playing with the brace height and so far 8.75" is quietest. I had read others say it tends to be on the loud side also. It seems to sling arrows more accurately than the 40# Sage (although Sage is awesome for price). It seems faster too but I'm really not after speed in a bow. The grip is very deep and comfortable which tends to force a consistent grip shot after shot. The bow is stable and well balanced in the hand. The draw is very smooth but firm.

The bow feels like nearly 50 pounds, but I do have a pretty long draw.

I love the fact that a bow designed so long ago still produces great results. I know there are better bows out there, but for me the SK is just fine. It shoots better than I do if that makes sense. My goal is to harvest my first traditional whitetail deer and hog with this bow. The other bow will be reserved for rainy day hunts. I give an over all 8 out of 10 on the SK. If I can get it quieter the rating may inch up to 9. As for price it is on the high side no doubt. However I was able to get I at such a good price I couldn't turn it down. A neat aspect about archery is that comparatively speaking it can be an inexpensive hobby

I would be interested in other reviews of this classically designed bow. Regards gang

--------------------
Bear Super Kodiak 50 pounds
Samick Sage takedown 45 pounds
150 gr Grizzly single bevel

Posts: 56 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowslinger
Contributor 2017
Member # 16429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowslinger   Email bowslinger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience is similar to yours. Very happy with quality, grip, and balance. I agree with the fun of shooting an older design. I also own a few bows recurves and hybrids from 50s through 70s. All shoot very well.

--------------------
Hunting is the only sport where one side doesn't know it's playing - John Madden

Posts: 598 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shooter#21
Member # 44340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shooter#21   Email Shooter#21   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Btw...I added brush buttons, removed the yarn silencers and replaced with cat whiskers trimmed down to about an inch in diameter and it is quieter! Just a little thump now, no twang. Interestingly enough though, the bow is quietest with the brush buttons NOT pressed into the limbs which is the opposite of what I expected. In fact they are positioned over where the D97 string ends are knotted. Has anyone else noticed this?

--------------------

Posts: 56 | From: Gray, Georgia | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRAP
Assoc Sponsor - 2017 Contributor
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd buy one if I could get one without the ugly quiver bushings.

They ruin it for me

--------------------
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Posts: 4301 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shooter#21
Member # 44340

I too would get one without the bushings since I prefer strap on quivers because of the sound dampening effect and ease of use. I use a brass screw in the lower bushing for hanging the shooting glove and arm guard when storing the bow.

--------------------

crazynate
2017 Contributor
Member # 41944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for crazynate   Email crazynate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Bear Super Kodiaks. I went through 5 of them within a year and when the 5th one broke JR at Bear archery refunded my money. Guess there was a bad batch of glue. Crap happens. Bear is still my favorite bow company. They handled the situation better than any one else would've in my opinion. Heck the 4th bow they sent me overnight arrived at my door with a split in the riser. True story. then the one after that lasted about 4 months before it blew into pieces. I have 13 other bear bows I shoot but the super Kodiak is by far the best. When they get the kinks worked out with that new glue I will by another.

--------------------
"If a man does his best, what else is there? "- General George S Patton Jr.

Posts: 610 | From: MI | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronyag
Member # 24172

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ronyag   Author's Homepage   Email Ronyag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had quality issues with a new Bear Take Down. 2 sets of twisted limbs. They finally go it right but it took 2 months of back a forth. They even mailed a 3rd set of limbs that never made it to my address. I asked how they missed the twists and they said they never mounted the limbs on the riser for inspection. They had a 1" twist.

--------------------
RG

Posts: 92 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IronJohn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IronJohn   Email IronJohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can Bear make a set of limbs without mounting them to a riser? Now I can see how I sent back 3 Bear TD's before finally giving up.....IJ
Posts: 665 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©