JOIN TRAD GANG

INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

CLICK HERE TO LEAP TO THE
2017 ST. JUDE AUCTION FORUMS

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » Product Reviews » PHOTOS ADDED Really nice gloves - a review of two gloves I never tried before. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: PHOTOS ADDED Really nice gloves - a review of two gloves I never tried before.
Tedd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tedd   Email Tedd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current damascus is not what it used to be. Thats all I was able to use in the past. I've always been a shooting glove junkie. I must have purchased $500 worth of different brands and styles of gloves. Most I don't like. Now with the old Damascus glove not an option I tried again to find a replacement brand.
I tried two gloves and their quality was so good I feel like I have to let others know. I wish someone would have told me about these! Here is a quick review of two excellent gloves.
THIS IS MY OPINION ONLY - HOPEFULLY OF SOME BENEFIT TO OTHERS. Pull the post if you have to.
The gloves are The "Bearpaw Damascus" and the "Legacy Leather Kangaroo"
(BTW...The goat skin glove on Kustom King is the Bear Paw. Their site just says goat skin, but it is the Bearpaw glove). The Bear Paw is just slightly thicker than the old damascus was. The finger stalls are long. The leather is very high quality and very soft. You can feel the string but it has some nice protection. The quality is the best you can get. I have used mine off and on for about a week. It needed just a tad of break in and looks like it will last forever. Most importantly there is very little bulk or seam at the fingertip. This is a very very good glove and I am a freak about gloves. I have a long draw and get finger pinch but unfortunately can't stand thick gloves, or inserts or synthetics.
Note - I always use an extra large. But was lucky enough to try one of these on at a shoot and the Bear Paw XL was too large for me. I ordered the large and it fits great.
But now I have a dilemma…after years of searching and finding this end all of gloves with the Bear paw damascus, later the very same day I found another glove. Called the Legacy Leathers Kangaroo glove.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/legacy-leather-kangaroo-leather-glove.html
It didn't look like much but the guy made me try it on. Wow I was surprised!
This glove is very close the the damascus of old, different feel to the leather, similar to a plain deerskin glove but seems to provide better protection and release than a deerskin glove and at the same time better feel than the old damascus. It took zero break in. Right out of the pack I was surprised. Again their is no bulk at the fingertip. The seam is the best I have felt. It fits great on the finger tip. It makes finding anchor easy. Because it has such good feel you would expect it to wear instantly and start hurting your finger. I used it a lot and it has no wear marks. Looks like I just took it out of the pack. And feels the same as it did when it was new. Right now I shoot better with this than the Bear Paw goat skin. As the summer heat hits and it gets sweaty that might change as the gloves break in more. The Bear Paw is better for sore fingers, high draw weights and finger pinch. The price of both gloves is very reasonable. I like them so much I plan to buy one more of each for as back-up.
Tedd

Posts: 2482 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxAg
Contributor 2015
Member # 17471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxAg   Email TxAg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting. I've been shooting with an old Damascus and am looking for a replacement.
Posts: 3642 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walter Mauney
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walter Mauney   Email Walter Mauney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Bearpaw glove also. I have shot one for a couple of years now.

--------------------
Yours truly,
Walter

Posts: 131 | From: Blairsville, GA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sirius Black
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sirius Black   Email Sirius Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for this review. I have the Bearpaw Speed glove, and it's well made too, but the finger tips are just too thick for me. It's hard to get a good hook on the string, it pushes my anchor out from my face. I'm looking for something similar to a Damascus, but with cordovan fingertips. Thanks Tedd, I'll give those gloves a look over.

--------------------
Bear Kodiak - Bear Kodiak Hunter - Bear Kodiak T/D

Posts: 1286 | From: Baraboo, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkm97
Contributor 2015
Member # 38648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkm97   Email jkm97   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the review. I had to make an order with LAS today anyway, so I threw in one of the kangaroo gloves to try. May order one of the Kustom Kings as well. I'm currently shooting a deerskin, which I like, but its not holding up real well and is a tiny bit thicker than I like.
Posts: 679 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jackdaw
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 21819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jackdaw   Email jackdaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our friend of mine just bought the legacy leathers kangaroo one as well at the Baltimore shoot 2 weeks ago. it was a whole lot of glove for the money...

--------------------
John Getz:........... Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like bananas.
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 51#
Ed HOLCOMB 59' KODIAK 47#
67'1/2 BEAR SUPER K 44#
WILSON BROTHERS BLACK WIDOW 60" 45#
LONGRIVER ELK 62" LONGBOW 53#
1967 WING 62" SLIMLINE 43#

Posts: 1487 | From: beavertown, pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SCATTERSHOT
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SCATTERSHOT   Email SCATTERSHOT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do either of these come with cordovan tips? My old Damascus glove (Berlin) glove had cordovan tips, and while the rest of the glove is in tatters, the tips look almost new, and still give a great release.

--------------------
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Posts: 3560 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mnbwhtr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9523

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mnbwhtr   Email mnbwhtr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also like the Bearpaws.
Posts: 435 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tedd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tedd   Email Tedd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really liking the Bearpaw glove.
Posts: 2482 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skychief
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9288

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skychief   Email skychief   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tedd, thanks for the review.

If you had to describe your fingers, are they fat, regular, or, skinny?

Mine run toward the skinnier side and I have ordered gloves that have too much volume in the stalls. That's why I ask about yours.

Thanks, Skychief.

Posts: 551 | From: indiana | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tedd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1692

Some follow up -
I'm mostly using the Bearpaw dsamascus glove.
It's is really feeling nice. Very good finger protection in a shootable glove. Broken in nicely. Feels good to put it one. My fingers go all the into the tips.
No wear shown or breakdown in seams or shape. About 3 weeks worth of shooting daily on this.

-

Tedd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1692

Even though it looks fresh out of the pack in the photos. It is surprisingly soft.
 -

Tedd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1692

Still using this same glove. It's in great shape and has thousands of shots on it.
Tedd

slowbowjoe
2017 Contributor
Member # 34976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slowbowjoe   Email slowbowjoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringing this thread back up. Tempted to try that kangaroo glove with an order I'm about to place... any more feedback from folks who've shot it for a while now?
Posts: 1363 | From: VT | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tedd
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1692

I still think they are both excellent. Both have recently been retired. The kangaroos got a little loose after a year. Also it got wet easily when hunting. Otherwise it was an excellent glove. I have a new one and it is immediately broken in. You can't go wrong.
Overall I think my favorite is the Bear Paw. Just 2-3 weeks ago it wore through the first layer of leather on the bottom finger. It had an extreme amount of shots on it. The fit and slickness stays the same, wet or dry, hot or cold. I have a new one of those also.
The kangaroo can tend to be long in the hand when it gets well worn. Where the bear paw is shorter and the fingers stay snug.
Tedd

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©