Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » NEW JERSEY - Traditional Archers of New Jersey » North Jersey Trad Archers ! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: North Jersey Trad Archers !
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just keeping the stoke and thread going ... won't be too long ...

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10054 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imskippy
Contributor 2014
Member # 12055

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imskippy   Author's Homepage   Email imskippy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rob,
when do you think the first outing should be? How often do you want to do them?

--------------------
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Posts: 964 | From: Vernon, N.J. | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For roving the Campgaw Archery Range woods, there can't be any archers on the course (and obviously no archery event taking place). If there's a significant number of archers walking the course, we couldn't rove and would hafta shoot the course, which definitely is fun all by itself. There's also the practice range just off the parking lot, five excelsior butts at 15-20-25-30-35 yards.

The 2008 Bergen Bowmen shoot schedule isn't listed yet on their site, but typically it starts in early May. There may be some good weather happening in March - for sure in April.

It'd be neat to plan out a weekend day for a meet with as many folks wanting to come out for a group stump shoot or to walk the course. However, I'm pretty much able to go most any day of the week, or time, so I can hook up with any one, or more, folks on almost a weekly basis.

--------------------

Posts: 10054 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Gabriel
Member # 11930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Gabriel   Email Steve Gabriel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind a New Yorker coming along?

The park is about 45 minutes from me.

Posts: 56 | From: Hastings-on-Hudson, New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Gabriel:
Mind a New Yorker coming along?

The park is about 45 minutes from me.

Sure thing!

--------------------

Steve Gabriel
Member # 11930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Gabriel   Email Steve Gabriel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

It'd be neat to plan out a weekend day for a meet with as many folks wanting to come out for a group stump shoot or to walk the course.

How about one of the 1st 2 weekends in March?
3/1-3/2 or 3/8 - 3/9 depending on weather?

Posts: 56 | From: Hastings-on-Hudson, New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Gabriel:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

It'd be neat to plan out a weekend day for a meet with as many folks wanting to come out for a group stump shoot or to walk the course.

How about one of the 1st 2 weekends in March?
3/1-3/2 or 3/8 - 3/9 depending on weather?

I'm up for that!

--------------------

Steve Gabriel
Member # 11930

Ok! let's start getting names and see who's going.

Also, for what it's worth, I belong to Cos Cob archers in Ct. We have open shoots on the last Sunday of each month. A bit of a trip from
Jersey, although it's only about 25 minutes from the Tappan Zee. Field course, 3-D and a practice range.

Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Back in the 60's my club, Pelham Archers (NY), used to shoot Cos Cob and vice versa. Those were the dayze ...

--------------------

Steve Gabriel
Member # 11930

I remember a range in Pelham Bay park on Shore road about 1/2 mile from the pelham Bay Bridge.

Now it's closed up.

Did you know John and Joe from Cougar sports?
They're in Ardsley now...

Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

My Dad and I used to shoot the Pelham field course back in the mid 50's when the Bronx Archers were there. When that club broke up in the early 60's I saw a great field course going to waste and ruin, so ... I got a charter from NYC to operate and maintain the range, formed the Pelham Archers that grew to well over 200 members and rebuilt the NFAA certified field course. We also hosted NAA and PAA shoots in the huge open field near the parking lot. We even had a 180 yard clout field! We went on regular deer hunts to the apple orchards of Westchester (Salinger's Farms), had indoor and outdoor inter-club shoots with Brooklyn's Comanche Bowmen, NJ's Oradell Archers, and Staten Island's Sequoia Archers (I think that was the club name?), bus trips to the Watkins Glenn big shoot, Albany Indoor, Mid-Atlantics, etc. Ah, the good ol' dayze ...

I was in Telephone Installation and repair back in the 60's and at least once a week I'd stop in at Cougar Sports, but my fave archery hangout was Colitto's Archery and I'd visit there almost daily.

--------------------

Steve Gabriel
Member # 11930

Wow! I've been trying to fix up the field course
at Cos Cob and was told by the Prez that nobody cares about the field targets.

Actually, I'll probably repaint the markers this spring. CAA has asked Cos Cob to open up for more field tournaments. Interest in field archery seems to have dropped for the old days.

I liked the field targets better than the 3-D
course, mostly because the targets were bigger and I didn't lose as many arrows. 8^)

Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

I used to love walking the Pelham field course with my Hoyt Pro Medalist and shooting either fingers or with a homemade rope release (remember those?) as I always shot the NFAA and NAA rounds with a bow sight.

To my thinking, any target past 35 yards or so isn't within my realm of bow hunting, and a waste of my time IF scoring targets was the game at hand.

However, I've got no problem shooting 100 yard marks during rovers (instinctive barebow). [Big Grin]

These dayze I don't even own a bow sight, so walking the NFAA 80 yard field course with a longbow isn't my kinda fun.

I like any event with target distances more geared towards the trad bowhunter - I don't care whether the targets are 2D or 3D. [Smile]

Which brings up another thought: it would be too cool for a buncha trad archers to shoot one of the Bergen Bowmen shoots at Mahwah. When I get the schedule maybe some of us can plot a Trad Gang get-together at one of the Bergen shoots.

--------------------

Steve Gabriel
Member # 11930

Rob,
I think that would be great but I have an issue.
I shoot an ILF rig and I just got a 12" stabilizer! I'm not sure the TG guys would accept me.
One of my shooting buddies uses a HH Wesley special and he told me to add little wheels to my limbs. [Frown]

Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Steve ...

Isn't yer bow a recurve?

Do you employ yer fingers to release that string?

Do you NOT use a bow sight?

If all the above is true, welcome trad archer! [Smile]

Besides, once in the woods we ALWAYS shoot unmarked distances. We consider this hunting practice. And at least some of the shots selected don't allow that "Olympic upright squared off stance" as you may hafta kneel down, aim over a felled tree and between two saplings and under a tree limb). That's humbled MANY a freestyle archer. [Big Grin]

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©