Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » NEW JERSEY - Traditional Archers of New Jersey » Shooting in New Jersey (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shooting in New Jersey
Ssamac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ssamac   Email Ssamac       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started a thread on this earlier, but this has a different twist. I live in Illinois and can shoot right out of my door if I want. However I might have to move to NJ>

Meanwhile, my brother who never shot a bow lives in Mahwah. Thinking that I'd like to get him a bow for his upcoming birthday and start him shooting. Where can he do that? I saw some parks but it says you need a permit. Do you need an archery permit in NJ? Wow.

Suggestions on how to accomplish this without getting arrested would be really welcome.
Thanks
sam

Posts: 1374 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticguido
***unregistered***

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To legally shoot in the State run ranges you need a NJ hunting lic or be with someone that has one. Jersey does have 6 months of Bow hunting, which is good. But... IMAO Jersey sucks .... If You or him knows anyone with land You can shoot there with out a NJ lic, or go to any of the TRAD/Bow shoots or even join a club. I hope this helps.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ssamac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15015

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ssamac   Email Ssamac       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So if you go to a shoot or a club range you don't need the permit.
If you go to a state park range, you need a permit even if you are not hunting. Who wrote this law? Barnie Frank?

sam

Posts: 1374 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArrowAtomik
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArrowAtomik   Email ArrowAtomik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the state is concerned with liability. If you have a hunting license, you probably passed a test in NJ that involved something like shooting a pie plate at 20 yards as well as written exam. Probably the idea behind the law was to try to screen out arrow flingers with IQ's less than their bow weight causing problems on the public range for others.

That doesn't do much for someone who wants to learn though. I think he really has to find a private club as his best bet:
http://www.funnewjersey.com/upload_user/Different_Outdoor_adventures_NJ/ARCHERY_RANGES_NJ.HTM

There may be no other option but to drive a considerable distance. That part of NJ is too crowded to ever be anything like shooting out your backdoor.

Posts: 309 | From: Western PA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Recurve50 LBS
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Recurve50 LBS   Email Recurve50 LBS   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A person can shoot a bow without a licence or permit at a archery shop that has a range or on private property. To shoot on the State Ranges at WMA's you do need a licence or be with someone in your party that has a licence.

Now I am a bit familiar with the Mahwah area. Depending on where he lives and the size of his property he may be able to practice safely in his own yard. Some of the yards are pretty darn big in Mahwah. But I suggest he check the local laws first. Where I live the law says a person can't shoot a bow or firearm within the town limits. But I shoot in my back yard with out having any problems. I know other guys in town who shoot their compounds in clear site of the street and they don't get hassled by the cops.

There is also some kind of archery club up there in Mahwah that holds a traditional shoot if memory is correct.

--------------------
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Posts: 976 | From: Boonton NJ | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deadsmple
Contributor 2008
Member # 5050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Deadsmple   Email Deadsmple   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is a great outdoor range in the Mahwah area. You do need a permit, to shoot there, and I can't seem to remember how much it was. It was cheap though. The permit can be acquired through his county parks department. Not much else in that area that I know of.

--------------------
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Posts: 879 | From: Rattlesnake Mountain New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is an archery range in mahwah, nj (campgaw). it's owned by bergen county and run by the bergen bowman archery club (compound & trad). the range requires a bergen county resident permit for a $12 annual fee - the permit card is displayed on the car dashboard when parked at the range. you don't need a hunting license to get the range permit.

the range itself consists of an open parking lot that faces the 6 excelsior bale practice butts, 10-35 yards. to the left of the parking lot is a brick bathroom building that's mostly open on weekends or during shoots. next to the bathroom is the path to the full nfaa 28 target field course - with exclesior butts. bergen bowmen also host other types of shoots including 3d.

now, as to shooting archery on your new jersey residential home owner's property, for the most part that's dependent on the county and township you live in, but for most suburban areas it's illegal to launch arrows. lots depends on your neighbors and where on your property you'll set up for safe shooting.

i rove the woods of the mahwah range a few times a month, be glad to shoot with ya!

hope this helps.

-

-

-

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10045 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ssamac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15015

I love the IQ less than bow weight. Have to remember that. As far as Campgaw, I did find that and that's where I read about the permit. Looks like a great setup. So if he gets a permit and puts it in his car window, that's all we need or do we both also need a NJ Hunting license too>?

Thanks all for responding. Not used to all the legaleze. In Illiois you are supposed to travel a bow "unstrung" In the case of a compound, they put a plastic tie around the string so you can't pull it. You are supposed to have a case too. I don't have to do that in IA or MO (I border the three states within 20 mins) I would imagine that NJ has some stuff like that too.

sam

Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no hunting license of any type needed to shoot the campgaw range. if you walk into the range, you need no permit at all to shoot. if you park at the range, you need the bergen county parking permit.

i have no knowledge about the laws governing unstrung or strung bows with regards to car transport in new jersey. my bows are transported in every conceivable manner - in bow socks, unstrung and strung, in plain view in the back of my wagon. don't think this is ever an issue with cops, but who knows.

--------------------

Posts: 10045 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pcappy08
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13248

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pcappy08   Email pcappy08   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as New Jersey a bow is supposed to be cased when transported strung or unstrung is irrelevant...unstrung only allows a bow sock to be used as a case if you make it to jersey im about five minutes from campgaw and shoot there regularly id meet ya there to fling a few as well

--------------------
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Posts: 315 | From: NJ | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ssamac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 15015

OK guys Rob has sent me some super stuff. If it works out I'll be out last weekend in April and we can teach my brother to shoot. About time
sam

Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

quote:
Originally posted by pcappy08:
...unstrung only allows a bow sock to be used as a case ...

there are strung longbow and recurve socks/bags - but who cares? [Big Grin]

--------------------

doeboy
Contributor 2010-2011
Member # 14835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doeboy   Email doeboy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mystic,

only 2-3 weeks outside of Jersey and your bashing it already? thats not nice.....lol

I'll take jersey any day of the week compared to some of the other places i have been!

Posts: 452 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cj3a
Member # 7656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cj3a   Email cj3a   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Campgaw is a great spot never crowded. I have shot in my backyard all my life and never had a problem in the Mahwah area.
Posts: 27 | From: Oakland NJ | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticguido
***unregistered***

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by doeboy:
Mystic,

only 2-3 weeks outside of Jersey and your bashing it already? thats not nice.....lol

I'll take jersey any day of the week compared to some of the other places i have been!

quote:
Originally posted by mysticguido:
To legally shoot in the State run ranges you need a NJ hunting lic or be with someone that has one. Jersey does have 6 months of Bow hunting, which is good. But... IMAO Jersey sucks .... If You or him knows anyone with land You can shoot there with out a NJ lic, or go to any of the TRAD/Bow shoots or even join a club. I hope this helps.

Where did I bash Jersey???
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©