Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » State Trad Bowhunting Orgs » NEW JERSEY - Traditional Archers of New Jersey » Help with young people

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with young people
Jason Rivera
Member # 46093

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Jason Rivera   Email Jason Rivera   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Help with a nonprofit that putts lives back together in young people after addiction. We are based in NJ. I am the volunteer activities coordinator for the foundation and I think the love of archery can be contagious. These young people need motivation and new skills and hobbies.
If anyone has a direction to send me to give these young ones an opportunity to experience something new but something old, please let me know. This would be giving back to people that would really enjoy this and it would help them in so many ways for the rest of there lives. Thanks for your time

Posts: 1 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason Ksepka
Member # 46693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Ksepka   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Ksepka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jason, Jason Ksepka here. I admire what you are hoping to do. Can I ask if you are hoping to get the folks you work with interested in just the shooting aspect, or the building aspect as well?
I'm not sure if it would help, but I suggest looking at local reclamation centers, where people bring their yard waste. I know in Hamilton, NJ and in Philly, the municipalities use the same places to being stuff they clean up after storms or from utility work. I have seen quite a few good trees and made some staves from trees that have been thrown out. If you have a way to move the trees and split them, you could get a lot of staves rather quickly.
Also, last year there has been a lot of pre-emptive removal of ash trees by lots of municipalities and the DOT/Highway services in lots of areas of NJ and PA. This is being done because of the presumption or reality of losses due to the invasive emerald ash borer beetle.
I have gotten quite a bit of ash in the last year or so.
Additionally, I would contact The Nature Conservancy (TNC) and other non-profits. I know that in Pa where I work (I live in Monmouth County, NJ), I am friends with a manager for The Natural Lands Trust. They have a pretty big budget and they do all their own tree work on their properties. Including milling trees that come down in storms or are removed for other reasons. They have been happy to share with me in the past, I would suggest reaching out to them as well.
Lastly, I have met a few tree service companies who have been willing to let me take some of the trees they cut. I even have a guy who is willing to call me when he finds something that I am looking for, when he cuts it. Though I haven't utilized this advantage yet. My guess is that you have a lot more resources than you realize. If I can help you find more, I am happy to do so. I honestly think you can get more staves that you can ever use, without ever killing a healthy tree. In my experience, we waste so much resources. You just need to make the contacts to use those resources before they get chipped or burned.

As far as tools, I am trying to build my own collection of extras, so I can occasionally teach or allow someone to use my stuff as I continue to learn. Look on ****, OfferUP, Craig's List, and other places to see what you can find.

Feel free to private message me on here if you want to start a conversation.

--------------------
Be Well, Jason Ksepka

Posts: 2 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©