Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2007 (Page 23)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 43 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  41  42  43   
Author Topic: Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2007
deertraks
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12341

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deertraks   Email deertraks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good one RC. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Dave
Phil. 2:6-11

Posts: 793 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BamBooBender
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BamBooBender   Email BamBooBender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great advice and pic RC. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Goodbye Shiner you were always a good dog.

Posts: 1083 | From: Spread Eagle WI | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tradtusker
SPONSOR
Member # 8659

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tradtusker   Email tradtusker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did you attempt a shot through that?
i would just have to give that a go!

--------------------
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Posts: 4138 | From: African in Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ratgunner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ratgunner   Author's Homepage   Email ratgunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So man did not invent the wheel ?LOL

--------------------
TGMM "Brotherhood of the Bow" "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 834 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smeltzer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smeltzer   Email Mark Smeltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to put up a few pictures of my North Idaho Elk trip. We did not shoot an Elk but had several very close calls.
It was a trip home for me so a few of the days were spent visiting family also. I got to hunt with my older brother, my favorite hunting partner!

This is the Panhandle National Forest between Lake Coeur d'Alene and Lake Pend Oreille.

We hunted for six days and the first thing we did each day was climb 2,000-3,000 ft of the steepest brushiest terain around just to get to the Elk. Then you can start hunting.

We found a nice shed, one of the big boys we were chasin.

Had a little time to fish, caught a nice little Steelhead.

Enjoy. Take care,

[  -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
Hope you enjoy.

Mark

[ October 01, 2007, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Terry Green ]

Posts: 209 | From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alsea
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alsea   Email Alsea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's one heck of a shed! What does it score?
Posts: 166 | From: Oregon, west (wet) side | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LV2HUNT
SPONSOR
Member # 3030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LV2HUNT   Email LV2HUNT   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My brother and I came across something special in the woods last year. We found some large nut husks that were all over an area. I took one home to look it up as I had never seen one before. Turns out they were Chestnuts.

-

All the nuts were gone at that time so I resolved to get back in there the following year in the early season. This year found us in there for a scout and sure enough they were coming down and the deer were all over them.

-

If you look carefully in the picture (taken from stand) you can see the grove of trees as there are two parallel rows. I am not sure if they were planted on an old farm or if it was done for wildlife long ago. Either way this grove is in the middle of a several hundred acre woodlot.

My brother and I had made one mistake when we were scouting though. We did not mark or bright eye our way to the stand [banghead] .

As you can see in this picture it is very thick and a long walk from where we park to get to this area. I was very fortunate to not only to find this area again but to also find the exact tree that we thought would be good. This picture is taken from the stand facing the direction the deer would hopefully approach from.

-

I thought it would take me a long time to find my way in the dark so I was setup pretty early. It was a nice early fall morning with 50 degree temps and clear skies.

At around 7:25 I was able to make out the body of a deer about 40 yards away. I watched as it meandered through the grove in my direction. As it cleared the brush I could see that is was a forkhorn. I knew I was not interested in shooting a forkie so I hoped he would wander off without getting my wind. There would be no such luck and he ended up 12-15 away over my left shoulder exactly in the spot in this picture.

-

He was okay there but eventually ended up too close to my tree and got my wind. He bounded away and proceeded to blow for a couple minutes warning everybody about the guy in the tree.

About 20 minutes later I picked out another body and hoped that it would follow the same path that the forkhorn did. Sure enough it slowly meandered its way through the trees and wound up in the same spot as the forkhorn just off my left shoulder.

I picked a spot and let the string fall from my fingers. The arrow hit just where I was looking and I listened as the deer crashed through the brush and came to a stop.

I called my hunting partners who also happen to be my brothers. Neither were hunting at the time but both graciously came out to help with the dragging and transport.

Good ol long nose. Great way to start a season!

Bob Lee Hunter 47@27 28" 1916s with 145 gr Bear Razorheads. (Love the Razorheads - Fred was a genius)

-

Posts: 1334 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BigRonHuntAlot
Contributor 2007
Member # 8731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BigRonHuntAlot   Email BigRonHuntAlot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on a FINE Doe. [thumbsup]

--------------------
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Posts: 4499 | From: Jetersville, Amelia County Central Virginia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Smeltzer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Smeltzer   Email Mark Smeltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what the shed scores, faily well I would guess though.
Thats my brother with the compound, I haven't convinced him yet. I had my Martin Hunter.

Mark

Posts: 209 | From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Contributor 2014
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whip   Email Whip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have hunted for a lot of years, and have taken my share of deer in the past. I have always been stuck in the trees however, and had never taken a deer from the ground.

Last year I did try it a few times, and had a couple of close encounters, but no shots. This year I wanted to make even more of an effort, and last night, on my first trip to the whitetail woods for the season, I connected with a nice doe.

She passed at less than 10 yards, and caught me when I started my draw. But after a brief glance my way, she continued on her path without another thought. Apparantly the ghillie did its job.
 -

--------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Posts: 9575 | From: Lake Mills, WI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vermonster13
SPONSOR
Member # 8675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vermonster13   Email vermonster13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job guys!

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Posts: 21791 | From: Rutland, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Holm-Made
SPONSOR
Member # 1997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holm-Made   Author's Homepage   Email Holm-Made   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great job Whip. I like how you have the doe positioned for the picture. Chad

--------------------
www.holmmadetraditionalbows.com

Posts: 1533 | From: MN | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biggie Hoffman
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggie Hoffman   Email Biggie Hoffman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If ya'll remember my post about falling from a ladderstand earlier this year whle moving it;

I moved it up to a spot with muscadines and persimmons on the edge of a clearcut. I've been waiting for a south wind to hunt it and got one yesterday. I had 6 does and two decent bucks broadside, witin 15 yards in the span of 2 hours. GREAT spot!
It's early in the season, I'm not ready to educate them to that tree just yet.......stay tuned...

--------------------
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Posts: 4451 | From: Gray, Ga. 31032 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gobbler10ga
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gobbler10ga   Author's Homepage   Email gobbler10ga   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
couple little ones
 -

--------------------
TEAM HILLBILLY

Posts: 383 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Whip. A little more exciting/nerve wracking than shooting one out of a tree isn't it?

Mark, beautiful pics, the second one down is my new wallpaper. Thanks

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 43 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  ...  41  42  43   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©