Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Do you look behind you in the bear woods? (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Do you look behind you in the bear woods?
mike g
SPONSOR
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g   Author's Homepage   Email mike g   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When in the woods period Huntin or not I always check my 6,Marine thing I guess.
Here in CA when hunting Blacktail you always check your 6, they have a habit of laying low and trying to sneak away behind you....
As a teenager I had an incounter with a bear, I was sniffed from one end to the other and nudged with nose a few times....
Heck I check my 6 walking down the street....

--------------------
"Mike your friend In Traditional archery" (M.A.L.)
www.mikesarcheryleather.com
Leather Armguards,Quivers,and Accessories, Mike's Archery Leather
"Rinehart 3D Target Dealer"
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4204 | From: Stockton California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Clagett
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Clagett   Email Russ Clagett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont worry about it at all....I know with no doubt on demand I can scream like a b...h loud enough to shatter any bear's nerve. And glass.

And run. I can run. A panther screamed once, right over my head up on a bluff about ten feet high, and I missed everything else till I was totally out of the woods. Ran that fast.

Posts: 579 | From: Pflugerville, Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlacktailBowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 15933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacktailBowhunter   Email BlacktailBowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While hunting Oregon and Washington, I always check my backtrail. I know the chance of a bear or cougar being nearby is pretty good and the hair on the back of my neck stands up from time to time, but I think I am just freaking myself out most of the time.

When in Ohio last October, I didn't get that at all, because there are not suppose to be cougars in that area and I felt very comfortable heading to my stand an hour before daylight.

--------------------
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Posts: 690 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alligatordond
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alligatordond   Email alligatordond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always looking over my shoulder, mostly because I've played so many pranks on my buddies I just know one of them is trying sneak up on me.

The thought of the Florida Skunk Ape getting me has absolutely nothing to do with it!!

I remember as a kid hunting near a graveyard with dad. I kept running into him 'cause I couldn't see him-it was that dark. But I could see a large tombstone in the graveyard about 50 yards away. And I'm certain if I had gotten any closer the Skunk Ape was going to jump out from behind that marker and drag me off.

--------------------
DonD

Posts: 1125 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Thomas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Thomas   Author's Homepage   Email Don Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worry more about Don's skunk apes than the bears. I KNOW what bears are like. Don
Posts: 371 | From: Lewistown, MT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alligatordond
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alligatordond   Email alligatordond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Them skunk apes are sneakier than a bear. You have to walk with the wind to your back to smell them coming. If you must walk into the wind, first zig then zag.

Ol skunk ape makes a griz look like a hamster [scared]

--------------------
DonD

Posts: 1125 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe skipp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe skipp   Email joe skipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not enough room here Chuck to cover the attack,the trial and aftermath.

--------------------
The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back.
Steve Garvey

Posts: 6840 | From: Renegade Archery, Highland, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRAP
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2015
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked behind myself once and this is what I saw
 -

Maybe they dont do it in the woods.

Trap

--------------------
"May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground, Carry On" Fun

Posts: 3862 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
understood.
ChuckC

Posts: 5841 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Walker
Contributor 2015
Member # 2302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Walker   Email Bob Walker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, this is Ray Hammond on Bob Walkers computer-

Intellectually I know you're right...but every time I'm out there I think about Bart.

That means I turn around, regardless of what my head says.

I'm one of those guys in the Gary Larsen cartoon who are both in wheelchairs, sitting in a depression, and there are three people in the background, one on a ladder with a rake up getting leaves off the roof, another standing on a hill swinging a golf club, and the last one is in a cherry picker over a truck working on overhead power lines- over the whole scene is a black cloud overhead- both the guys are looking as they wheel up to each other and one says " Hey, YOU were struck by lightning once too?" Over their heads, coming right at them down in that depression, is a monster lightning bolt.

I'm that guy.

--------------------
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Ro 10:17)

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 3185 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tox Collector
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tox Collector   Author's Homepage   Email Tox Collector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I look over my shoulder every time I go in the yard. Black bears pass through frequently. They took down my bird feeders three weeks ago and my son's [he lives a couple of mile away] a month ago. When I'm in the woods, I am continuously looking -- you never know! I always carry bear spray with me and have it readily available in house in case I need it in the yard.

--------------------
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company." C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Posts: 200 | From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©