Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Do you look behind you in the bear woods? (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Do you look behind you in the bear woods?
mike g
SPONSOR
Member # 75

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g   Author's Homepage   Email mike g   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When in the woods period Huntin or not I always check my 6,Marine thing I guess.
Here in CA when hunting Blacktail you always check your 6, they have a habit of laying low and trying to sneak away behind you....
As a teenager I had an incounter with a bear, I was sniffed from one end to the other and nudged with nose a few times....
Heck I check my 6 walking down the street....

--------------------
"Mike your friend In Traditional archery" (M.A.L.)
www.mikesarcheryleather.com
Leather Armguards,Quivers,and Accessories, Mike's Archery Leather
"Rinehart 3D Target Dealer"
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4117 | From: Stockton California | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Russ Clagett
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Russ Clagett   Email Russ Clagett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dont worry about it at all....I know with no doubt on demand I can scream like a b...h loud enough to shatter any bear's nerve. And glass.

And run. I can run. A panther screamed once, right over my head up on a bluff about ten feet high, and I missed everything else till I was totally out of the woods. Ran that fast.

Posts: 554 | From: Pflugerville, Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlacktailBowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 15933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlacktailBowhunter   Email BlacktailBowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While hunting Oregon and Washington, I always check my backtrail. I know the chance of a bear or cougar being nearby is pretty good and the hair on the back of my neck stands up from time to time, but I think I am just freaking myself out most of the time.

When in Ohio last October, I didn't get that at all, because there are not suppose to be cougars in that area and I felt very comfortable heading to my stand an hour before daylight.

--------------------
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Posts: 690 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alligatordond
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alligatordond   Email alligatordond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always looking over my shoulder, mostly because I've played so many pranks on my buddies I just know one of them is trying sneak up on me.

The thought of the Florida Skunk Ape getting me has absolutely nothing to do with it!!

I remember as a kid hunting near a graveyard with dad. I kept running into him 'cause I couldn't see him-it was that dark. But I could see a large tombstone in the graveyard about 50 yards away. And I'm certain if I had gotten any closer the Skunk Ape was going to jump out from behind that marker and drag me off.

--------------------
DonD

Posts: 1125 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Thomas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 563

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Thomas   Author's Homepage   Email Don Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I worry more about Don's skunk apes than the bears. I KNOW what bears are like. Don
Posts: 371 | From: Lewistown, MT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alligatordond
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alligatordond   Email alligatordond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Them skunk apes are sneakier than a bear. You have to walk with the wind to your back to smell them coming. If you must walk into the wind, first zig then zag.

Ol skunk ape makes a griz look like a hamster [scared]

--------------------
DonD

Posts: 1125 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe skipp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe skipp   Email joe skipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not enough room here Chuck to cover the attack,the trial and aftermath.

--------------------
A man has to have goals - for a day, for a lifetime - and that was mine, to have people say, 'There goes Ted Williams, the greatest hitter who ever lived."

Posts: 6722 | From: Renegade Archery, Highland, NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRAP
Associate Sponsor - Contributor 2015
Member # 12775

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRAP   Email TRAP   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked behind myself once and this is what I saw
 -

Maybe they dont do it in the woods.

Trap

--------------------
"May your past be the sound of your feet upon the ground, Carry On" Fun

Posts: 3804 | From: MO | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
understood.
ChuckC

Posts: 5495 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob Walker
Contributor 2015
Member # 2302

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob Walker   Email Bob Walker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, this is Ray Hammond on Bob Walkers computer-

Intellectually I know you're right...but every time I'm out there I think about Bart.

That means I turn around, regardless of what my head says.

I'm one of those guys in the Gary Larsen cartoon who are both in wheelchairs, sitting in a depression, and there are three people in the background, one on a ladder with a rake up getting leaves off the roof, another standing on a hill swinging a golf club, and the last one is in a cherry picker over a truck working on overhead power lines- over the whole scene is a black cloud overhead- both the guys are looking as they wheel up to each other and one says " Hey, YOU were struck by lightning once too?" Over their heads, coming right at them down in that depression, is a monster lightning bolt.

I'm that guy.

--------------------
Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Ro 10:17)

TGMM - Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 3172 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tox Collector
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tox Collector   Author's Homepage   Email Tox Collector   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I look over my shoulder every time I go in the yard. Black bears pass through frequently. They took down my bird feeders three weeks ago and my son's [he lives a couple of mile away] a month ago. When I'm in the woods, I am continuously looking -- you never know! I always carry bear spray with me and have it readily available in house in case I need it in the yard.

--------------------
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company." C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Posts: 197 | From: Connecticut, USA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©