Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales
The Whittler
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Whittler   Email The Whittler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the great pics and stories.

Alan

Posts: 2549 | From: Northern Maine | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Krebs
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Krebs   Email Brian Krebs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bears will mark their territory by standing up and putting their backs to a tree; and then they turn their heads and bite the tree. I am not sure if they are leaving scent from a specific gland; but they do leave not only scent - but the height of the bite marks leaves an indication to other bears of the size of the bear in that territory.
As noted; it helps to find these markers when putting out a bait [Smile]
I love the pictures !! thanks so much for sharing [Smile]

--------------------
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Posts: 2556 | From: North Fork , Idaho | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The week as a whole was a little slow in the bear hunting department. I never did see one. But man did we have some fun.

The average day went something like this...
Up fairly early with a cup of coffee and down to the rock shelf that ran out into the lake to catch breakfast.
There was seldom any problem catching enough walleye for whichever meal we chose... and we chose it for many. It's my favorite fish for sure.

My dad decided early on in the hunt that bear hunting just wasn't his cup of tea, so he mostly fished and cooked and hung around camp.
He's been gone for 30 years now and I sure miss him. Those were some great days for us.

In the mean time Gary was having much better luck in the bear department, but I'll let him tell about that.

I remember one comical incident that reminds me that I'm not the only one who was a little "edgy" in my early bear hunting days.

Our usual routine was to put four guys in a vehicle and drop them at their bait site one at a time.
We'd be miles apart so it took a while. The guy driving would park near his bait and pick everyone up in reverse order of what they'd been dropped off.

One of the guys... a kid named Vince... was the last in line to be picked up and instead of waiting on the road for us he'd decided he would wait in his stand until we arrived at the road.
We would honk and let him know we were waiting.

Well, Vince's stand was way back in along a pretty little lake that teamed with ducks and loons and it would take him quite a while to get out to the truck.

One evening we pulled up and honked as usual and everyone got out to enjoy the night and the sounds of the Canadian bush.

We had just settled in by the front of the truck when off in the distance we heard a blood curdling scream... Yeooooooooooooowww!!!

It seemed that we barely had time to get concerned when Vince came racing out of the darkness.

Side heaving and totally winded he looked to be in one piece and we looked him over good until he could talk.

Seems he had just left his stand in the pitch darkness and was making his way through the thick timber on a bear trail (what else?). Off to his side came the sound of heavy foot falls closing fast.

In that instant of recognition that some critter was closing fast, Vince's adrenaline level spiked like a tea kettle coming to boil.

Blind in the black of night and surronding brush Vince would only wait a second and it was on him.

A snowshoe hare rocketed out of the brush and across his feet, immediately followed by it's companion. Bunny grabass in the bushes.

It was too much for Vince and the tea kettle boiled over with a screeching scream. He went from zero to light speed in less time than it takes to read this.

I'm sure no Olympic sprinter could have covered the rough terrain any quicker than Vince did that night.

While there was a little good natured ribbing at his expense I doubt there was a man there who wasn't glad it was him and not them.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 10538 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that info Brian. I knew that, but I'm not much of a bear hunter anymore and if you don't use it you lose it.
[Wink]

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 10538 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doctari
Contributor 2012
Member # 8709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doctari   Email doctari   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Bear stories, Fred Bear, and Black Bears. Keep em coming, This is good!

--------------------
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men." Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Posts: 367 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IB
Contributor 2010
Member # 7360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IB         Edit/Delete Post 
With these OLDEN GUYS, it takes em a bit. They fergets things REAL EASY in between naps and all [bigsmyl]

I just Know there's more ta come BUT WHEN [banghead] [banghead]

Chris...Stoney, Build a FIRE...The other ones NAPPIN AGAIN [help]

Posts: 2981 | From: Somewhere over the Rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bjorn
Contributor 2014
Member # 6694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bjorn   Email Bjorn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Guys now that really is a great story and looking back today what a thrill it must have been just to be there. I feel privileged to have read the story and seen the pics.
Posts: 9609 | From: Los Gatos, California | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Gary spent about an hour writing last night only to lose everything he'd written in a glitch during submission... been there, done that, myself!
He'll be along in a while when he gets his fist removed from the wall.
[knothead] [Mad]

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

While we're waiting for Gary let me post a few thoughts about Fred Bear...

Even at the age of 74-75 (his age when we met him)Fred had a twinkle in his eyes and a hint of mischief in his heart.
He was a practical joker and seemed to work at ideas for having fun.

He was very "available" to whoever wanted a piece of his time and for the time he was talking with you made you feel like you were the only one worth talking to.

Fred was a real inventor even into his later years. That part of him never really waned... note the silencers on his string in one of the pictures.
They appeared to be some sort of weatherstripping material.

He was a generous man. He offered to let me take his personal bow to kill a bear with... I suck as a lefty or I would have.
I found out that this was not an uncommon gesture of Fred's.

On the first night in camp, we'd not been to the "state store" so we had no refreshments. I was elected to go to Fred's cabin and mooch a six pack... Fred sent me back with a case.

Though Fred did spend a little time hunting bears ("I've killed a bunch of bears and don't really need to shoot another one."), he seemed to really enjoy time out on the lake fishing.

When in the woods hunting bears, on that trip, he fabricated a "stalking blind". In other words, a barrier that shielded his movements from a bear on the bait.
Fred would wander off for periods of time doing whatever and occasionally return to the area of the bait.
He'd check for bears from a distance and if one was present he would be able to stalk down a cleared trail to the barrier.
Pretty smart hunter.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Horne Shooter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horne Shooter   Email Horne Shooter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What great stuff...thank you for sharing this with everyone.

--------------------
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Posts: 503 | From: Canyon Lake, Texas | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tadpole
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tadpole   Email tadpole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is great, thanks for sharing.
Posts: 221 | From: Indiana | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Contributor 2014
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whip   Email Whip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too cool! I had no idea what I was going to find when I opened up this thread. What a treasure! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Posts: 9528 | From: Lake Mills, WI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bohuntr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bohuntr   Email bohuntr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Charlie and Gary for sharing this with all of us!!! [clapper] [clapper] [clapper]

--------------------
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Posts: 1491 | From: Yankton, SD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Drew
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12039

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Drew   Email Drew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A big thanks to Charlie and Gary for sharing this and the pictures.

I'm sitting on the edge of my chair, just like i would be at the campfire, wide eyed and listening to every word!

--------------------
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Posts: 1945 | From: St. Johns, Michigan | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaskabowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 7576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaskabowhunter   Author's Homepage   Email alaskabowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great post and pics, thanks.

--------------------
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Posts: 759 | From: minnesota | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©