Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Fred Bear and a couple of bear hunting tales
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank... yep! That's a "B" riser.

Sam... your comment made me get a little misty! (cut it out m [Wink] ) I'm glad he's getting around to this too!!

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 10623 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Budog56
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Budog56   Email Budog56   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
awesome story cant wait for the next one..
Posts: 499 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missouri CK
Contributor 2014
Member # 675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missouri CK   Email Missouri CK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow,

My wife Samantha "Sam" (Gary's daughter) just got on my computer and posted on the trad gang.

Now instead of telling me to stop spending so much time looking at stuff on trad gang she is actually posting! Awesome.

Chris

--------------------
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Posts: 1020 | From: Weston, MO | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molson   Email Molson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Priceless!!!!!! The photos...the story...it doesn't get any better. Great Job!!!!!!!

--------------------
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Posts: 1778 | From: Ohio | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wulomac
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10992

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wulomac   Email Wulomac   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff!!!

--------------------
And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. GEN-21:20

Posts: 391 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Labs4me
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Labs4me   Email Labs4me       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary:

Your story made me feel as though I was in camp with you and the rest. I'm still chuckling over the thought of you screaming when it dawned on you that you had just walked right past the bear. [biglaugh] Talk about an interesting "trophy" in its own way- having a photo of Fred kneeling beside your bear must be very special for you.

These stories and older photos make me appreciate that time is really slipping by, but I truly enjoy reading about the experiences of my fellow TGers. Thanks to you and everyone else for sharing. Must have been quite an honor to share a camp with a legend.

--------------------
"You must not only aim right, but draw the bow with all your might." - Henry David Thoreau (Before the advent of compound bows with 85% letoff)

Posts: 401 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doctari
Contributor 2012
Member # 8709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doctari   Email doctari   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gary and Charlie for sharing, It is rare to hear stories from people that where fortunate to hunt with Mr. Fred Bear. Mark

--------------------
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men." Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Posts: 368 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missouri CK
Contributor 2014
Member # 675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missouri CK   Email Missouri CK   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Gary finished his story last night I'm going to post the last of the pictures from this hunt. I enjoyed looking at all of them and so I figured you guys would like them as well. Maybe Charlie can fill in the rest as Gary is out pushing snow today as we got about 8 inches last night.

-

-

-

[ February 06, 2008, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Charlie Lamb ]

--------------------
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Posts: 1020 | From: Weston, MO | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachbowhunter
Contributor 2014
Member # 3597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachbowhunter   Email beachbowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, now it's all coming together for me...how you and Charlie are "related" that is.

Samantha welcome to Tradgang. We usually joke about how the guys around here married up (and it's always true). Knowing what a great young man Chris is would make you pretty darn special. Has he bought you a bow yet? [readit]

Gary and Charlie..thank you very much for this story and the ones to follow.

Norb

--------------------
Ishi was a Californian [Cool]

Posts: 3073 | From: CA ... where the turf meets the surf | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raineman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raineman   Email Raineman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy this book in a heartbeat. As someone stated earlier....I feel honored just to read it. When I read about the rabbit I nearly fell off my chair at my desk. Everyone in the office was wondering what the heck was so funny, and I told them they just wouldn't understand. Awesome guys....Thanks.
Posts: 2234 | From: Eldersburg, MD | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Montyc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13483

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Montyc   Email Montyc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I can say is thank you for sharing. The pics and stories are just awsome. It sure makes me remember all of the hunts I have had with my brothers and dad over the years. I guess it is time to go make some new memories before it is to late. Thanks again.
Posts: 176 | From: Sparta, MI | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philil
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for philil   Email philil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Montyc!

Thanks a lot for sharing!
Awesome read [clapper]

--------------------
Bowfishing is a teamsport!

One shooting, the others saying: "Over the top"!

Posts: 335 | From: Germany / New Zealand | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
returntoarchery
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for returntoarchery   Email returntoarchery       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. [thumbsup] [clapper]
Posts: 137 | From: Georgia | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charlie Lamb
Charter Member
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charlie Lamb   Email Charlie Lamb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more short little story... The guide and I had talked about me not seeing any bears and he suggested we look at a spot where he had a test bait.

When we arrived at the spot it was evident that it was a pretty good location AND the bait was torn up.

We didn't know much about portable stands in those days and we certainly didn't own any, nor did the outfitter.

If there was going to be a tree stand there it would have to be built.
It was a much more open location than the other places, so it almost had to have a tree stand.

We soon got to work with axes and spikes and in short order had a perfect stand built... to my specs!

Built between three pine trees it was about 12 ft. up and 20 feet from the bait. The platform itself was natually brushed in by pine limbs and you'd have had to look real hard to see me up there if you knew I was there.

Being the last day of the hunt was coming up,I decided I'd go for broke. A full moon lit up the night almost as bright as day so I'd have plenty of light to shoot by and it was legal to do, so I planned for an overnight sit.

I really wanted a bear!

I'd go in the next morning and get dropped off early. I'd not get picked up until the following morning. It would be a long vigil... no doubt.

So we proceeded with the plan. I packed sandwiches and drinks and an extra jacket for the night time.
Soon I was climbing into my roost and the guys were speeding off merrily down the gravel road.

The day went by pretty uneventfully.... I didn't see a dang thing! As evening approached I grew more intent and studied every bush and rock.

In my plan I knew I could shoot accurately by the bright full moon. What I hadn't taken into consideration was that from the time the sunset and it got dark, until the moon rose and it got light enough to see, was about 2 hours.

I mean to tell you it got as dark as the inside of a cow. Once again I had to fight the feeling that bears would be climbing up after me. Not to mention that I'd done just a little too much reading about Sasquatch before the trip.

I was never so happy to see the moon.

Once the moon was up it was as I'd thought. Bright enough that the trees made shadows and I could clearly see the bait.

But alas, the night turned out to be as unproductive as the day had been.

The guys picked me up around 8 a.m. and we headed back to camp to pack and get ready for the long drive home.

--------------------
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Posts: 10623 | From: Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmgrode
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 5420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmgrode   Email mmgrode   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aweome stories fellas! I love to hear stories from the past! Thanks, Matt

--------------------
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Posts: 1504 | From: WI/CO/ID/MT | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©