Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Tell me about the PBS (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Tell me about the PBS
killinstuff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killinstuff   Email killinstuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the Professional Bowhunters Society has been around for a little while but what is it and what are they about? Are the members people in the bowhunting related industry or people that simply bowhunt? And is this a traditional equipment organization or both modern and tradional? Are you a member, why and if you are not, why?

--------------------
lll

Posts: 1241 | From: Traverse City Michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark Baker
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark Baker   Email Mark Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey CJ...I am a regular member, and proud to be so. The PBS represents, to me, as fine a group of dedicated bowhunters as there is out there. They've been around for decades, and although mainly a fraternal organization, their ranks are filled with folks that give selflessly to their respective state orgs, bowhunter ed, and in general to keep bowhunting around as long as is possible. They are a wellspring of knowledge, and commitment, and yet as humble a bunch of "brothers" as you will find. Although not especially active directly in local causes, their existence is a bedrock of example for all to see.

Not a trad-only organization...but we do adhere to some principles to assure that it remains what it is, a bowhunting organization. Often the name "Professional" carries some baggage to the unknowing, but it really denotes that the members are dedicated bowhunters, plain and simple, and care about bowhunting with their actions and image.

Although it is a two-tiered org, regular members recieve no special accolades, save for the priveledge of voting on matters...the only diff between them and associates. The associate membership is a great way to find out what PBS is all about, and includes an exceptional newsletter/magazine with the dues. Give it a try and find out for yourself.

--------------------
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope. I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Posts: 2056 | From: Livingston, Montana | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well said, Mark. Life Member here.

--------------------
The heights by great men reached-and kept, were not attained by sudden flight;
But while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night. -LONGFELLOW

www.biggamehuntingblades.com

PBS Regular Life Member
TGMM

Posts: 8554 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Preston Lay
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Preston Lay   Email Preston Lay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, well said Mark. regular member here.
Posts: 184 | From: Jennings,OK | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dnovo
Contributor 2015
Member # 6889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dnovo   Email dnovo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark summed it up very well. The word Professional always seems to convey the wrong message to those who don't know anything about the organization. Regular member here

--------------------
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Posts: 1286 | From: Imperial, MO | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stringwacker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stringwacker   Email Stringwacker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regular member since 1987....I really like the organization and the fraternal aspects of it. The magazine that comes with the membership has no equal.
Posts: 118 | From: Union Ms | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heydeerman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heydeerman         Edit/Delete Post 
I let my membership go a few years back. How can a guy re-join?
Posts: 3461 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joebuck
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joebuck   Email joebuck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fraternal group of bowhunters who share traditional values pretaining to bowhunting for their primary means of hunting big game. The most generous PBS members I have found are the ones who are some way or another financially involved with bowhunting. They are constantly donating their wares and time for the organization.

Stringwacker..you going to P'burg?

--------------------
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Posts: 2087 | From: Oxford Ms 38655 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barney
Contributor 2014
Member # 2983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barney   Email Barney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't say much more than has been said. I joined because the PBS seemed to cover everything I thought was right.

Reg. member

Posts: 1986 | From: Wapiti, Wyoming | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Lay
Contributor 2015
Member # 2369

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Lay   Email Dave Lay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said it alot better than I could ever have.. I am also a very proud regular member

--------------------
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
BHA member
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!

Posts: 1530 | From: Russellville, Ar | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paleFace
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paleFace   Author's Homepage   Email paleFace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if you really want to see what the PBS is all about you should attend the banquet coming in March. absolutely good times....

PBS is not about what it can do for you, but rather what you can do for it. if you want to be involved and become a part of something then PBS can't be beat. it's a true brotherhood. as with any organization the size of the PBS you most likely will not agree with every thing, but hey that's what makes us human. PBS is about what's best for bowhunting.

like this site (Trad Gang) you will find many who are willing to roll up the sleeves and help with what needs doing. since i became a member in 99' i have meet some of the finest people and made some very special friends.

give it a try and see what you think. get involved and you will be glad you joined.

--------------------
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Posts: 1479 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whip
Contributor 2014
Member # 113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whip   Email Whip   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an associate member currently. Thinking about trying to go to Pittsburg for my first gathering - it's something I've wanted to do and this might be the year.

Here is what they are all about: (Taken from the website)

It is the purpose of the Professional Bowhunters Society to be an organization whose membership consists only of persons who are considered Professional Bowhunters in ATTITUDE, and who vow:

That by choice, bowhunting is their primary archery interest, and their ultimate aim and interest is the taking of wild game by bow and arrow of suitable weights in a humane and sportsmanlike manner;
To share their experiences, knowledge and shooting skills;
To be a conscientious bowhunter, promoting bowhunting by working to elevate its standards and the standards of those who practice the art of bowhunting;
To provide training in safety, shooting and hunting techniques;
To practice the wise use of our natural resources, the conservation of our wild game and the preservation of our natural habitat.

--------------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

Posts: 9633 | From: Lake Mills, WI | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paleFace
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paleFace   Author's Homepage   Email paleFace   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whip hope to see you there... you will not regret it if you can join us....

--------------------
>~Rob~>

"Dad, I need to sit down I'm shaking to bad" my 12 year old son the first time he shot at a deer with his bow.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Posts: 1479 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Walt Francis
Contributor 2014
Member # 1901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Walt Francis   Email Walt Francis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,
Here is a link to the PBS web site, the information for the organization is there.
http://www.bowsite2.com/pbs/

Walt Francis

--------------------
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 4293 | From: Montana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tippit
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 1030

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tippit   Email tippit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a very nice house guest here and the subject of PBS came up tonight. I had been an associate member in the 80's. Back then I really only bow hunted deer with family. I didn't feel like my simple hunting qualified me for PBS. That was basically a wrong decision as the PBS values seem to go hand & hand with Tradgang.

I am probably going to rejoin and would like to make the Pittsburgh Banquet this year too. Mr Campbell has rekindled my interest, as have a number of other Tradgang/PBSers...Doc

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Posts: 7602 | From: Carlisle, MA & Aiken, SC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©