Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Tell me about the PBS (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Tell me about the PBS
Greg Szalewski
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg Szalewski   Email Greg Szalewski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK you guys hit on a topic that finnaly made me register for this site. I joined PBS about 14 yrs ago, seemed like a good organiztion to support. I am still an associate member as I know regular members only cassualy and had never hunted with a regular member until recently. Actually when I joined I did not realize that PBS was so heavy into trad. gear. The first banquet I was able to attend was St. Louis in 2000. my wife and I had a great time, made a number of new friends and got a feel for the members at the membership meeting. It was clear to me that the big names were just as concered about how we were percieved as the regular Joes. One of the topics concerned having a bow on an ATV. The members did not want anyone think that they might be road hunting and most felt the bow should be unstrung even if it was legal to have it strung.
A couple years back I encouraged my 16 year old son to apply for the youth leadership hunt that PBS puts on. He was accepted and all we had to do was get to Billings MT.(I went as his mentor) Boy was I blown away. When we got to MT the red carpet was out for five kids and their dads just for the opporotunity to teach these kids some hunting skills and most importantly that they needed to get involved in archery at the leadership level. To say my son was impressed would be an understatement. We had our tags paid for, 1000 private acres to hunt(Robertson/ Fisher ranch), stands in place with transportation(Yote Robertson and Billy Lewis) full time cook(Joseph Myers). Bo Slaughter and Larry Fisher set it all up and ran the hunt. Then there was program provided by Dick Robertson(future of bow hunting),Yote sharpening broadheads), Joseph(first aide), Mark Baker(leadership), Ray Alt and Doug Campbell(flint knapping). Not only that, we were all treated like old friends and all these people are as concerned about my son as myself now. This truely is a special organization that goes beyond sharing common interests, but doing what it takes to promote them.
Since that hunt I have gotten to know a few members better, swapped some hunting and built on friendships.
I will once again be attending the banquet with my wife(Bryan is in college now) and donate a youth take down recurve that I made. Perhaps it will plant and provide some nurishment for a seed.
See you all there, hope this helps answer some questions on the PBS.

--------------------
PBS Regular, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
President, Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Life member, Wisconsin Bowhunters
Sherwood Forest Bowmen
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 930 | From: Menomonee Falls, WI | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian P.
Contributor 2014
Member # 320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian P.   Author's Homepage   Email Brian P.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,
I will work on Jamie. He can be stubborn though [Embarrassed] )

Check is in the mail for my tickets.

BP

--------------------
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver" Saxton Pope

Posts: 955 | From: Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Bahr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Bahr   Email Kevin Bahr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Gang, Greg!
Posts: 1223 | From: Morton, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg in Delton MI
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg in Delton MI   Email Greg in Delton MI       Edit/Delete Post 
K-Bahr clued me in on this post a few days ago, my life has been running so fast this morning is the first time I've been able to break down and read it. I have to admit this is one of very few internet threads on the PBS where contentious words are not present and good information and fraternalism has abounded.

It is often hard for folks on the outside looking in to understand what the PBS is and what you can gain from being an involved member. I became a member in '89 and a Regular'94 and then a life member around '03. I have friends all around the US and overseas from being an active member.

I have hunted with Associates and Regulars and frankly I can tell you I will hunt without reservation with any PBS member because in all of my experience I have never had a bad experience on any hunt. It has always been a pleasure to associate with other PBS members because of the depth of commitment that we all have to bowhunting and doing it right.

I'm looking forward to the Banquet and hope all of you who attend are ready for a best ever event. I know the council and our crew in the field have been working there collective a$$’s off to make it so. In fact Kevin Bahr has lost 6 inches in pant size, his butt may well disappear by late March. [bigsmyl]

See you there,

[ December 22, 2007, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Greg in Delton MI ]

--------------------
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Posts: 298 | From: W Michigan | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Bahr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Bahr   Email Kevin Bahr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HA! Greg, unfortunately I lost the 6" in length, not width, LOL!
Posts: 1223 | From: Morton, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greg in Delton MI
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg in Delton MI   Email Greg in Delton MI       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Kevin you'll be wearing Uncle Gene's hand me downs real soon then. LOL!!!

I once got a care package from Uncle Gene and he sent me a couple pair of Mossey Oak pants with the hems walked off. They looked like camo Lederhosen's it was too funny, I'd have sent them to Biggie but he'd have worn them and they would of looked like a camo bib overall speedo and that was just way too scarey for the rest of the world [smileystooges]

--------------------
Greg

Long as I can pull this bow
Long as I can hike the hills and walk among the trees
I keep on trying
My goals are high but I don't care
The fun is in the getting there, it justifies the end
So try, try again

Mark Baker, "Feathers thru the Wind"

Posts: 298 | From: W Michigan | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VTer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VTer   Email VTer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been an associate for almost 10 years I think. I made it to one banquet in Baltimore. I really feel PBS is al about the members. A bunch of guys (and gals) that just love bowhunting and take it very seriously. In this group there is a broad spectrum of occupations and how much money we all make as individuals. I did not find this to cause any sort of elitisim, in fact, if it weren't for the fact that I'm pretty shy and quiet in groups, I know I could've hung out with most anyone at the banquet. Also it's like having your own personal Fish & Game dept in each state because you can call up any member and get honest answers about the wildlife in any state. The members are the resource! If I make it to Pittsburgh, I'm hoping to mingle more.

--------------------
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
- Doug Lawson.

Posts: 1273 | From: Essex Junction, Vermont | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Bahr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 266

Greg M, I hope you can make it to Pittsburgh. The more the merrier! Do you know Steve Leffler? He is a Vermonter like yourself and is a PBS member.
VTer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VTer   Email VTer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know Steve. I don't think he likes me though. When we do our bowhunter Ed classes together, he always uses me as an example in his first aid section. For instance,...."Say Greg is out bowhunting and he accidently drives an arrow through his thigh, what should he do".

--------------------
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
- Doug Lawson.

Posts: 1273 | From: Essex Junction, Vermont | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VTer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5560

Hit the submit button to quick. Anyways, Steve and I are the perfect example of the non-elitism in the PBS. He's a big time ER Doc and a Regular and I run equipment and drive plow tucks for the town I grew up in. Do we talk about that stuff when we're together, maybe a little, but it's mostly about the bowhunting that we both love. I don't think of him as a doctor and I'm sure he dosen't know how good I am with an excavator or he wouldn't pick on me so much. [biglaugh]

--------------------

- Doug Lawson.

Rod Bear
Contributor 2014
Member # 5664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rod Bear   Email Rod Bear   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regular,life member. Heydeerman: send me a e-mail, and I will tell you how to reinstate. Rod
Posts: 178 | From: Beaver, Pa. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Bahr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 266

While on the subject of the PBS banquet, if any of you have photos to enter into the contest and can't make it to the banquet, please, package them up and send them in!
Kevin Bahr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 266

Howdy, Rod!
Biggie Hoffman
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggie Hoffman   Email Biggie Hoffman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a perfect example of great times to be had at banquet. Where else can you rub elbows with guys like Rod Bear, what a neat guy and he's full of archrey history if you can get him to talk about it :-)
Unfortunately, I only get to see him every other year at PBS.

--------------------
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Posts: 4451 | From: Gray, Ga. 31032 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Bahr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 266

Biggie, Rod is our "man on the ground" for this upcoming banquet and is doing an outstanding job. In fact, without his help, I don't think we could even get it done. Thanks, Rod!
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©