Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION LISTING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » What have you learned from this hunting season? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What have you learned from this hunting season?
Izzy
Contributor 2013
Member # 10828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Izzy   Email Izzy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that Snuffers are the broadhead that I will always rely on.Oh and that 2 Alleve tablets before a 10 hour treestand sit make it go alot easier.

--------------------
"A Fear Of Weapons Is A Sign Of Retarded Sexual And Emotional Maturity." Sigmund Freud

Posts: 6999 | From: latham, new york | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
draco
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for draco   Email draco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trail cameras are the greatest scouting tool and fun gadget that you can use.
Posts: 332 | From: Georgetown,Texas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gun
Contributor 2014
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gun   Email Gun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need to get out more and building a House sure screws up your season. Ditto about using trail cameras.

--------------------
Luck most often is accompanied with knowing what you are doing.

Posts: 833 | From: Alberta | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkbow   Email elkbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i learned it was my bones popping and cracking that was making the noise,not my tree stand.

--------------------
kevin moore

Posts: 121 | From: otway,ohio | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A. Kinslow
Contributor 2012
Member # 2262

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A. Kinslow   Author's Homepage   Email A. Kinslow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What little I have been able to get out ths season, has taught me scouting is the key to making it happen. No sense in sitting a place that isn't likely to pan out. Also to be patient, but at the same time sometimes you have to just plain get squinty eyed and make the shot that is presented work.

Gun...Ditto on building a house. The place will be nice once its finished, and I am 98% done. Unfortunately, so is the season..

--------------------
“In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." -- Baba Dioum

Posts: 591 | From: Rogersville, Missouri | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kirkll
SPONSOR
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kirkll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spend a lot more time shooting with experienced traditional archers if possible....Kirk

--------------------
www.BigFootBows.com

Posts: 2824 | From: Mulino Oregon | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fubar2
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fubar2   Email fubar2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that old age is no longer sneaking up on me. It has arrived.
Posts: 47 | From: ohio | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ks_stickbow
Contributing Member 2006
Member # 981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ks_stickbow   Email ks_stickbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that I do not like deer hunting as much as I want to. Thank god the wabbits like me!

--------------------
Jeff Sheyn

Acquiring a dog is the closest a human will ever come to picking his own relatives!
------------------------

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

Posts: 1323 | From: Beaver Falls, PA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bowspirit
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowspirit   Email Bowspirit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I learned that Snuffers are the broadhead that I will always rely on
Same here Izzy. Other than that, though...

1- Same lesson I've learned every season...it's not the kill that truly stands out, but the hunt.
2- Stalking & groundhunting sure is fun, but there's alot to be said for sitting up in the canopy as the woods awaken all around you
3- If done right, the effort one puts into the hunt is it's own reward...
4- A side (GFA) quiver can be quite the handy tool.
5- Camo...it's a bonus, not a necessity.
6- Bowhunting was NOT meant to be a solo activity! [archer] [campfire]

--------------------
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
-Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
-Chuck Nelson

Posts: 1933 | From: Saratoga County, NY | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laddy
***unregistered***

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have learned that I do not need a tree stand for deer hunting, that my wife needs more cover, maybe a portable blind for next year. mostly I learned i need to put up a tree stand to keep compound hunters from putting tree stands above my all natural blinds.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bamboo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bamboo   Email bamboo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hunt where the deer are!!!--no matter what your pre-season scouting told you---be prepared to move!!

--------------------
Mike

Posts: 933 | From: northern most jersey! | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry Jeffer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry Jeffer   Author's Homepage   Email Jerry Jeffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good one bamboo. I relied on old habits this year and it made me end up working harder later to find deer. Practice, scout, slow down. Don't be afraid to scout during the season, just do it on a rainy day.

--------------------
I see that the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. No wonder my heart is glad, and my tongue shouts his praises!

Posts: 3243 | From: Stroud Township ,PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eastern fisher
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eastern fisher   Email Eastern fisher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that I have to get off my lazy butt and get out more in the preeseason scouting, I learned that at 46 I am no longer in shape to wonder the woods as I was once able. It sucks getting older and having physical limitations. I ad a ball of a time. No deer to show for it but a great experience none the less.

--------------------
A bad day of hunting is still far better than a good day at work.

Posts: 381 | From: Beaver Bank, Nova Scotia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
44charlie
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 44charlie   Author's Homepage   Email 44charlie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
missed 3 deer this year! realized i shoot a game differently than at target. i basically am a snap shooter but when shooting at deer i "aim" and think too much.
also learned that if you change something on your bow it can cost you! changed my silencer from wool to rubber and my bow was loud and 2 of my misses were deer reacting to the twang!
was a good season though, saw deer most every time out and made a new hunting buddy.

Posts: 607 | From: ada michigan | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
always89
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for always89   Author's Homepage   Email always89   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pick a spot

Deer DO go completely nocternal when the orange army hits the woods, at leats in area that I hunt.

Pick a spot

Deer dogs suck

Pick a spot

Posts: 588 | From: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©