Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » What have you learned from this hunting season? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What have you learned from this hunting season?
jeff / sc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeff / sc   Email jeff / sc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scout more hunt less...I always seem to hunt where the deer were last week.
Posts: 192 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoeM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeM   Email JoeM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, Where do I start (first year trad guy) lets see.
1) Any deer with trad equiptment truly is a trophy. I realized this the longer the season went on. (didn't get one this year)
2) Shootin at squirrels is fun again.
3) My climbing stand isn't recurve friendly.
4) This trad thing is addicting, frustrating, fun, different, &fun!!!
5) Bad seasons make you appreciate the good ones that much more.
Those are the major one's that jump out at me for huntin, shooting and tuning could take up a whole page. Example: When you have a knock high tear, move the knock higher [Confused] WHAT, then i learned about false tears when the feathers bounce off the shelf [Wink] Joe

--------------------
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 1389 | From: Centereach NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TRB
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRB   Email TRB   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did I learn ?
Sometimes luck is just not on my side.

Posts: 257 | From: Iowa | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chesapeakeblend
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chesapeakeblend   Author's Homepage   Email chesapeakeblend   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned the direct way is not the best way to the stand on the property I hunted this year. There was a bedding area between where I parked and walked to my stand and it took me a couple of times to understand what was going on.

--------------------
Mike Norton

A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. -Aldo Leopold

Posts: 207 | From: Ellicott City, MD | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BRITTMAN
Contributor 2014
Member # 7431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BRITTMAN   Email BRITTMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I killed a good Buck with a longbow this year , I have learned that I have more confidence in and shoot a recurve better . Also that I need to stay OFF CLASSIFIDES but I still have a hard time doing that ( LOL ).

Mike

--------------------
" Live long and prosper "

Posts: 1320 | From: Troy , N.C. | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Can Hahaka
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Can Hahaka   Email Can Hahaka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can pretty much have the public land to yourself until the rut and then it becomes a shopping mall.

--------------------
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Posts: 233 | From: Oostburg, WI | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeerSpotter
Contributor 2013
Member # 10453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeerSpotter   Author's Homepage   Email DeerSpotter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that God is still in control, because I hated hunting public land, I don't know how many times I asked for private land to hunt, and !

When I gave up and God had control of it, I not only got private land to hunt, but all the 18 tree stands on the land to use. God was good to me this year. I never use my own tree stand once. And I never took a shot from my bow, my freezers not full of deer meet, but 45 lbs. of it ! And my heart has two new friends in it. So you never know, how your hunting season is going to go, I really enjoyed every time I went out into the forest. And the last day, setting on the forest floor, no chair just in my insulated hunting suit with 8 in. of snow under me I will always remember the sunset, and how it looked, and how I enjoyed this year. Even though I never shot a deer.

I have to say this year was a peaceful year in my neck of the woods.

God is good,

Pastor Carl

Posts: 1845 | From: Blaine, Mn | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larry247
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry247   Email Larry247   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i hunt from a stand thats 20ft or higher, well lets just say its alittle differant than 15ft. I'll practice a little more from 20ft in a tree this year.

--------------------
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Posts: 648 | From: Peterstown, WV | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob G
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob G   Email Bob G   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over time I have learned that I am a deer hunter for 2 months out of the year. The deer are deer for 12 months a year, and are much better at what they do than I am. [bigsmyl]

--------------------
"No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Posts: 186 | From: Corpus Christi Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom
Contributor - 2014
Member # 2405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom   Email Tom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
more preseason scouting-can't count on previous years successes or travel routes.
my knees aren't what they used to be.
don't pass on a deer if you want meat in the freezer.
Nothing with bow this year but enjoyed the woods as much as I ever did. No heavy drags anyway.

--------------------
Hunting-it is not a choice but what is in my blood.

Posts: 2440 | From: Grottoes,Virginia, Shenandoah Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wudstix
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wudstix   Email Wudstix   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned the hard way (and was very lucky) not the climb a wet Oak with mud on your boots.
I'd probably been killed, but I landed on my head, literally.

Also, account for the sun coming over the trees in your face at 0930, muffed a shot at a spike.

--------------------
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!"
+++++++++++++
Ps. 119:65-72; Where I've been and how I got here.
+++++++++++++
60" Big River Recurve 67#@28"
60" MOAB 62#@27"
60" Big River 21st style 65#@27"

Posts: 2103 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GingivitisKahn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GingivitisKahn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deer season in Ohio goes until the first weekend of Feb, so I'm no where near finished making my mistakes for this year yet. :-D

The big thing I am learning this year is that you can't connect if you don't shoot. I see lots of squirrels and a few bunnies and always manage to come up with a good reason to leave my arrow on the string. That needs to stop.

Posts: 2007 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sgrogg
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sgrogg   Email sgrogg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shoot first, ask questions later!
Posts: 972 | From: Auburn, IN | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legolas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legolas   Email Legolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always bring 2 sets of gloves cause the first set will have at least 1 glove fall to the ground...

Don't spit without looking down...your'e going to hit your glove...

Smile more and remember that sitting in a tree on the edge of the Milkyway beats any day at work

I learned that sunshine can cause trees to drop their leaves as I observed this at daybreak on a frosted fall morning (and I thought it was wind and rain)

Keep my shots under 20 yards and aim low. This years deer are smarter cause after taking a well placed arrow they run straight for my truck... [goldtooth]

Leg

--------------------
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Posts: 1168 | From: Athens, OH (Middle Earth) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tamure
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamure   Author's Homepage   Email tamure   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob G:
Over time I have learned that I am a deer hunter for 2 months out of the year. The deer are deer for 12 months a year, and are much better at what they do than I am.

LOL, so true!

I learned:

-Pick a spot. No, really, I mean it. Concentrate, grasshopper.
-All the hoping, praying, and wishing in the world will not get you a deer (or anything else for that matter). You have to make it happen.
-I'm doing something right, because I was surrounded by deer. Sometimes too many!
-Beware the barbed wire.
-It's much more fun with friends! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Posts: 833 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©