Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » What have you learned from this hunting season? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What have you learned from this hunting season?
ishiwannabe
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11213

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ishiwannabe   Email ishiwannabe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned it is awesome to walk the woods with a stickbow, arrows that I have made, fully confident I can perform when the shot presents.
Feathers make more noise than vanes.
The spirit of the hunt is back with fervor.
Hunting with my fathers equipment brings back great memories.
There are some things in life more important than hunting.

--------------------
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
-Jamie

Posts: 4439 | From: Coxsackie, NY | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn Patrol
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn Patrol   Email Dawn Patrol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that the look on a hunter's face when they kill their first Trad bow buck is priceless. I also learned that when you are having chest pains everyday of a two week hunt it's not a good idea to wait till ya get home to have it checked out.

--------------------
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Posts: 464 | From: Palm Valley,Fla | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joe c.
Member # 13487

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joe c.   Email joe c.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned I hope? It's A bad idea to use a cheap lock blade to try and fix something. the first day of A nine day hunt in southern ohio on nov,4 I just about cut my middle finger off.
Posts: 64 | From: chelsea,michigan | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gordon Jabben
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gordon Jabben   Email Gordon Jabben   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that I need to stick with one bow.
Posts: 521 | From: Bartlesville OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian Krebs
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2800

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian Krebs   Email Brian Krebs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
seize the moment.

the older I get: the harder I have to think.

I am just as happy when I get a shot opprotunity-to not take a shot; as when I take a shot....almost.

wolves have to be subject to control measures.

--------------------
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Posts: 2556 | From: North Fork , Idaho | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRR324
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8145

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRR324   Email DRR324   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My lesson, don't rush the shot choice- have a touch of patience, even if its the last day of your week long hunting trip out of state. Wait for the right shot opportunity- it will happen.

--------------------
Pittsley Predator Classic
53# @ 28"
Easton Axis FMJ Camo-400's w/150g RazorCaps

"Dad, know what I like most about deer hunting? The adrenaline rush you get when you know your going to get a shot at one"- my son Tyler after his first miss..

Posts: 705 | From: Lake, MI (central LP) | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tjjsidekick
Member # 14306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tjjsidekick   Email tjjsidekick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've learned the following..

Cherris every second in the woods

Preparation and anticipation of the hunt is as important and fun as the hunt itself

It's good to be alive

Posts: 40 | From: Southwestern Pa | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hickstick
Contributor 2014
Member # 490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hickstick   Email hickstick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that I need to befriend more of my tradgang brethren of the midwest or south so they will invite hunting and rescue me from the god-forsaken deerless state called Massachusetts!

I also learned that the season is long and to shoot in all you hunting clothes from warm weather to sub zero. I found I had a hard time shooting with my cold weather gloves until I rolled a piece of bike innertube over the handle of the recurve.

I learned to send in my Centennial Watershed (CT) Permit ON TIME in '08!

--------------------
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Posts: 1153 | From: MA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GingivitisKahn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13331

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GingivitisKahn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Bill:
"Lord loves a workin man,""See a doctor and git rid of it,""Never trust whitey...." [goldtooth] [biglaugh] [campfire]

Lol - now I need to see that movie again. :-p
Posts: 2009 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angus
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angus   Email Angus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned not to hunt deer in California.

--------------------
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate member
Wenatchi River Traditional Archers

Posts: 329 | From: Leavenworth, WA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wapitimike1
Contributor 2009
Member # 9638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wapitimike1   Author's Homepage   Email wapitimike1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that poachers once turned in and pinched can get real ugly. Four stands and three walked through hunts later. You have to ask yourself, is it worth it?
Posts: 929 | From: Goshen, CT | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobby Castello
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobby Castello   Email Bobby Castello   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Learned
1. Always have a game cart close by! At 53 I can no longer drag deer miles back to the truck.
2. I will never take a straight down shot at a deer again! I passed on the biggest buck I have ever seen in the woods because I hate that shot. Saw him a day later and he offered me the same shot and I hit him just to the left of his spine.
Had 1/3rd of the arrow in the deer but did not pass thru. No blood sign, looked for 5 hours and did not find the deer. I'm sure he died but I'll never know. Was sick about the shot for days. I will know better next time!

--------------------
Hunt hard,but have fun!

Posts: 129 | From: Port Orange, Fl. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bruce Martin
Contributor 2014
Member # 3972

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bruce Martin   Email Bruce Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of shot placement, last year I was 3 for 3 (does) and this year 0 for 2. the 0 for 2 were both passthroughs but must of hit a bit far back and probably got only 1 lung and liver rather than 2 lungs. Shooting for the 'big' kill zone. Never found the 2 deer that I know I killed. Next year shots will crowd the shoulder with 2 bladed broadheads with tips that wont bend on bone.
Posts: 185 | From: Florence, South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozarkcherrybow1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ozarkcherrybow1   Email ozarkcherrybow1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've learned to watch for those Game and Fish meetings and to show up and voice my opinions!
We need to stand up and be heard!!!
This was a major lesson learned for me....Terry

Posts: 741 | From: Bella Vista Arkansas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boneyard Bowhunter
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boneyard Bowhunter   Email Boneyard Bowhunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I'm going out on a limb. This just theory and some may think I'm wrong but here goes. I have noticed a change in the way deer have been moving over the last 3 to 5 years. I am seeing deer sign from May to the beginning of October. Then it all but disappears. I am seeing the same thing in more than one area. The first thing that comes to mind for me is food. The deer are finding a good easy source of nutrition. The next thing that comes to mind is food plots. I'm not against food plots in fact I also think they are the reason for bigger deer taken in my area. Has anyone else noticed this pattern.

--------------------
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Posts: 175 | From: Port Crane NY. | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©