Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » What have you learned from this hunting season? (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What have you learned from this hunting season?
tim roberts
SPONSOR
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tim roberts   Email tim roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This year was another for the learning books! The one thing that will stick with me more than anything is don't get greedy, oh and remember to pick a spot, concentrate, follow through, and pay attention after the shot!

--------------------
Tim

Farr West Leather

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!
My good friend Rudy Bosner, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Posts: 1293 | From: >>>>Livin' in Utah-Huntin' in Montana!-------> | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2015
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I learned from this season is that shooting in my backyard from a perfect stance when I am relaxed and warmed up is not very good training for shooting from under a live oak tree cramped from sitting for several hours on a three legged camp stool when the deer walks in from my right and I'm set up for a deer walking in from my left, and I can't move to change my set up without spooking the deer.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

When I retired, I thought about taking up armadillo breeding. It doesn't pay much, but the armadillos seem to like it.

Posts: 2581 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonebuster
Contributor 2011
Member # 11593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonebuster   Author's Homepage   Email Bonebuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that patience really is a hunters` most deadly weapon.
Posts: 3455 | From: Michigan | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mark U
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mark U   Email Mark U   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned (from another hunter) that the small can of pepper spray will run out before the grizzly gets done chewing. ALWAYS carry the large economy size. This was after I found out there were seven confirmed grizzlies within two miles of a spot I usually hiked around in when it was still dark.

Also learned I more problems with interference from other hunters than I did with wolves when both were in the same area.

--------------------
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing. Don't even wait for your annual vacation. Go at every opportunity. Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Posts: 436 | From: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fatman
Contributor 2011
Member # 14188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fatman   Email fatman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're hunting an area where the landowner wants you to only shoot does....you will have a buck walk under your stand...twice....

--------------------
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Posts: 1501 | From: Louisburg, KS | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
awishanew
Member # 4805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for awishanew   Email awishanew   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have learned to not set my stand right over the trail I'm watching. Get back 15 yards or so.
Posts: 82 | From: Nanaimo BC | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elkbow
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elkbow   Email elkbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey mark u,are you using the pepper spray to ward off the grizz or carrying it so they can season your hide before they eat ya? may the lord watch your backtrail!!!

--------------------
kevin moore

Posts: 121 | From: otway,ohio | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that I got out out a few more times this year, but still not enough!

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Howard S.
Contributor 2007
Member # 2906

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Howard S.   Email Howard S.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three big lessons this year:
1) I learned what it feels like when you make that perfect instinctive shot and don't even remember releasing the string. [bigsmyl]
2) I learned that no matter how much wind is blowing and snow is falling, deer will still be out and about. [knothead]
3) I learned that no matter how hard I try, I still can't keep my head enough to not 'pluck & peek' when I have a whitetail standing broadside at 15 yrds. [banghead]

Shot an elk, missed a deer but still an outstanding year.

Howard

Posts: 111 | From: White Lake, MI | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
buckracks7
Contributor 2015
Member # 4269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for buckracks7   Email buckracks7   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reminded that stands creek when it gets cold, and turkeys definately look up.

--------------------
If it's in your way, move it.

Posts: 2833 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KodiakBob
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KodiakBob   Email KodiakBob       Edit/Delete Post 
That I really like longbows, for their light weight.
Posts: 605 | From: Hanahan,South Carolina | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McGeeM
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McGeeM   Email McGeeM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never sell your house and have to move in the middle of the season.
Posts: 358 | From: Work | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biggie Hoffman
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggie Hoffman   Email Biggie Hoffman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That I work to danged much and don't hunt enough...........

--------------------
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Posts: 4451 | From: Gray, Ga. 31032 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan ferguson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan ferguson   Email dan ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I learned that if I,m stubborn enough and willing to fail alot you can bag turkeys spotting and stalking, Also learned badgers just love custom wood arrows, must taste good to them. Also learned blind is alot easier to take turkeys. also the hills are getting steeper canyons are getting deeper and a 15 lb turkey at the bottom weighs 28 lbs at the top.
Posts: 394 | From: nebraska | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brmize
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2219

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brmize   Email brmize   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yea I almost forgot.

If you don't want a kid to lose it in the woods tie it to them.

8 year olds hate face masks.

A kids definition of sitting still and yours may be different.

Whisper is a very loosely defined word to kids.

Number one but one I already knew... Just being out there with your kids,regardless if successful or not, is priceless.

Brian

--------------------
"After we've lost a natural place, it's gone for eveyone-hikers, campers, boaters, bicyclists, animal watchers, fishers, hunters, and wildlife-a complete and absolutely democratic tragedy of emptiness." Richard Nelson

Posts: 261 | From: Nortonville, KS | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©