Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION LISTING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Jerry Pierce Choctaw Recurve (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Jerry Pierce Choctaw Recurve
Hawkeye
Contributor 2014
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Cocobolo riser, Bloodwood limbs, Cocobolo and Maple points and overlays... dearly missed friend.

--------------------
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Posts: 1618 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkeye
Contributor 2014
Member # 662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Belly view

--------------------
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

Posts: 1618 | From: Central Illinois | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Bahr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Bahr   Email Kevin Bahr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy, Daryl! Remember when me, you and Jerry drove over to the GORH? There's another memory of Jerry for ya.
Posts: 1223 | From: Morton, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkeye
Contributor 2014
Member # 662

Kevin,

I'm guessing I could do a "Charlie Lamb" version of Jerry stories that would take up four or five pages here. Add in all the fun you, Tom, and the other buddies could add, and a fine book could be written about one of the finest men I ever, ever knew.

Still think of him OFTEN, and miss him a lot.

Did you ever get that scuff off your head from the shoe he threw at you that night? [biglaugh]

Daryl

--------------------
Daryl Harding

Tom Mussatto
Contributor 2011
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Mussatto   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mussatto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl, I’ll give ya a quarter for that bow. Whoa, better not. Jerry would have shot both of us for doing that.

Yeah, he was one of the good guys and we are sorely lacking in folks of his character and integrity within our community these days. Don’t know about a book. For one I’m guessing Jerry would not have approved, and second, books put together after the subject is gone tend to take on a life of their own. I’d hate to see that happen with Jerry. Stuff written about Hill come to mind. Probably wouldn’t bother Hill as he was a showman but Jerry was more of the sit off to the side and just listen and observe type of guy.

By the way, did either of you guys ever use a squirrel call while in ear shot of Jerry? If so, were you ever able to put the pieces back together? :-)

--------------------
Tom Mussatto

Posts: 1308 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Strubberg
Contributor 2010
Member # 4552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff Strubberg   Email Jeff Strubberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was privileged enough to pay my restects to Jerry. Wish I could have hunted with theman. Only time we crossed paths was at the banquets. Jerry spent all his time trying to fade into the wallpaper.

Got caught flat-footed the first time I met Jerry. He shook my hand. Well, he shook my hand, my wrist and about a quarter of my forearm! I'm not a small guy, but Jerry Pierce had the biggest, strongest hands of any gent I have ever met.

Hawkeye;

I remember putting a few arrows through that bow. 'Bout the best backyard shooting I have ever done. The Choctaw is a special bow. Don't see how it could be anything but, coming from such a special guy.

--------------------
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies" -Herodotus

Posts: 3508 | From: Linn, MO | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hawkeye
Contributor 2014
Member # 662

Jeff,
You're right. Probably the biggest hand I ever shook, too. Mighty talented though, and prone to acts of kindness.

Tom,

Couldn't agree more with that thought. I really just meant that although I had a lot of great stories and memories of Jerry, I didn't think I was the only one who did! He was a really special guy to an awful lot of people.

Never had the experience of "squirrel calling" Jerry, but you remind me of his explantation of a photo I was looking at of him with a limit of bushytails. It went like a well-oiled comedy routine....

Me- WOW! You killed a whole LIMIT of squirrels with your BOW??"

JP- "Yep... got these five...(pause)... but it took six shots..."

Me- "FIVE squirrels, with just SIX shots????"

JP- "Yep...(pause)... Had to shoot one of 'em twice!" (Smile!)

--------------------
Daryl Harding

Liquid Amber
Assoc Sponsor
Member # 845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liquid Amber   Email Liquid Amber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was in South Carolina hunting hogs with Jerry two weeks prior to his death. He was shooting a lighter bow than the 72#. The reason I know is that I couldn't shoot his 72#, but could handle the bow he carried on that trip.

Jerry had a hat with a hog on the front with the name of the Plantation we were hunting, given him by our host for that hunt, at an earlier date. At Gorh, he aggravated me numerous times by asking me in front of folks, "Do you have one of these?" I didn't of course, that was his reason for bringing it up. He had a lot of fun with that old hat.

After his death, I received a call from his son, who knew the story and asked if I wanted that hat. Now I can answer that question in the affirmative.

The first morning of that hunt I had a run in with a large sow and a suitor back in the middle of no where. I killed the sow and had an interesting time with her boy friend, putting one over his shoulder as I jumped out of his way when he finally decided to leave the old gal...now deceased. [Smile]

Jerry and our host came back with me and the three of use took turns pulling that old gal a "long" way to where we could load her. I caught a lot of grief for not finding one closer to the road and more "eatin' size."

On an earlier hunt, Jerry came upon a 7 foot or so gator stretched out on an old road next to a lake taking a nap. He eased up and poked the gator with the tip of his bow, sending it scrambling for the safety of the water. He got a large charge out of tickling that old gator. [Smile]

Good to see a bunch of the old Gorh bunch surface.

Posts: 864 | From: Ruston, LA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heydeerman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 120

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heydeerman         Edit/Delete Post 
Never met the man but met his son a year or two after his dad passed. He still got choked up talking about him. He was shooting his dad's recurve and it might have been a takedown if I remember right. Only talked to his son about half an hour but he sure was a kind fella.
Posts: 3461 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
featherbuster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for featherbuster   Author's Homepage   Email featherbuster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen one the bows, and absolutely fell in love with it. I was told that there is a fellow in Texas?? that collects these bows and has paid a pretty good penny to add to his collection.
Our biggest shoot of the year in our club is the Jerry Pierce Memorial, that we have in MS. Love those bows!!!

--------------------
Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Posts: 662 | From: Greenwood, MS | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CheapShot
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CheapShot   Author's Homepage   Email CheapShot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have really enjoyed reading these stories. Mr. pierce sounds like the kinda of guy you would want in your hunting camp.
I never had the chance to meet the man, however I do have one of his arrows. A good friend of mine(now deceased) met Jerry at a shoot. They were staying at the same motel in fact, and struck up a conversation. My friend commented on how pretty Jerry's arrows were. So Jerry autographed one and gave it to him.
After my friends passing, his wife gave me a few of his archery related stuff, the arrow was one of the many cool things she gave me.

--------------------
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Posts: 1179 | From: S.E. Tenn. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Bahr
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Bahr   Email Kevin Bahr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Cliff! Hope to see you in Pittsburgh!
Speaking of that SC hunt at the plantation, that reminds me of another funny JP story: Mark Viehweg was with you all if I remember correctly. He had shot a hog and could not find the thing. He ran into Jerry and enlisted his help in tracking it. When they finally go to it, and it was rather on the "young and tender" side, Mark told me he was happy about shooting his first hog until Jerry scratched his head and said: "They sure are cute when they're little." HA! Gotta love that wry sense of humor.

Daryl, I still have a dent in my head from when Jerry whacked me with my own shoe!

Posts: 1223 | From: Morton, Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gunney
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 307

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gunney   Email Gunney   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the first time I met Jerry. We were standing near a bow rack with different makes of bows.....both looking at them.

I think I moved over to the Choctaw that was going to be auctioned off and I was admiring it and saying how beautiful it was.

Jerry just stood there and never said a word. To make a long story short, I didn't know that the man was the bowyer that created it at that time.

He just said a few nice words to me and went along browsing.

Needless to say, I got knocked out of the bidding for that bow at $1500 and about fell out of the chair when Bill Kissner told me who I was talking to.

The thing I will always admire about Jerry was his humility.

God Bless

Billy

--------------------
God Bless

Billy

Posts: 263 | From: Arlington, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very sorry to have never met Jerry. Nothing but good things ever heard about him. I have met and visited with his son Lenny who regularly attends the UBM anual gathering in Jeff City, MO. The apple did not fall far from the tree.

I got to handle and admire an all red cedar Choctaw at that gathering. You could feel the MOJO big time.

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5071 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who've never met him, I don't believe he could be described better than this. Requiem for Jerry Pierce

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©