Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Killdeer in the Wood (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Killdeer in the Wood
Doc Nock
Contributor 2007
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Nock   Author's Homepage   Email Doc Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Getting good, Jeff? [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

This li'l gal got more spunk that 90% of the guys I try to hunt with...! They'd never do this, and they sure don't have the poet's soul and artists' eye that Killy does...

Thanks, Gal. This is a neat way to head into christmas...feel like every post from ya is another present under the tree to unwrap!

--------------------
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow
Sasquatch 60" T/D, R/D LB

Posts: 11935 | From: L@ncaster County, PA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talondale
Contributor 2007
Member # 9336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Talondale   Email Talondale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dano:
"farking" ??? couldn't find that one in the dictionary [Roll Eyes]

Perhaps she meant farding? Maybe she was getting all gussied up for Clark's visit? [Wink]

--------------------
Jesse, forever 5

Posts: 2053 | From: Botetourt Co. VA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dano   Author's Homepage   Email Dano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think your right Chuck [bigsmyl]

--------------------
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Posts: 7500 | From: Nevada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Nock
Contributor 2007
Member # 116

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc Nock   Author's Homepage   Email Doc Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, here we go... [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] [saywhat]

--------------------
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 11935 | From: L@ncaster County, PA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dano   Author's Homepage   Email Dano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How's it go Dave???

DUCK!!!! [bigsmyl]

--------------------
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Posts: 7500 | From: Nevada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bentpole
Contributor 2014
Member # 6180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentpole   Email bentpole   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Killy your bow would be 42#s for me. SWEET! Gotta get down to that Baltimore Shoot. Ok carry on....
Posts: 7306 | From: pequannock n.j. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
el cazador
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for el cazador   Email el cazador   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I just caught up on this one, I was about 5 pages behind. Great story telling Ma'am, I'm loving every bit of it. You're analogy using the pic of Spirit to describe how you feel carrying your Dakota was great. I can't wait for more (but I will ifn I hafta!).
Posts: 369 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bowdude
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 9215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bowdude   Email bowdude       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Killy and others, especially and doctors. Just read that part where you mentioned you were so cold when you started moving you got colder. I was always taught that when you get to that point (you had a good shiver session for a while then unexpectedly warm up) you are stressing your body greatly. Getting up and moving aggressively to try and warm up can finish you off. Any docs here chime in and verify or old wives tale???
Posts: 618 | From: Central Wisconsin | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steve Crowl
Contributor 2014
Member # 5930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Crowl   Email Steve Crowl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pic's are awesome ... make some great backgrounds!!

Thanks

--------------------
Steve Crowl

"Proud Father of several Marines"

Posts: 783 | From: York, PA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing all the stories and great pics. [clapper]

--------------------
Mr Terry.....will you turn on the crickets for me - Cade Cabrera

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 26290 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Chatter Member 2014
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It changed.
Teale's book on Fabre led me deep into the night, while the wind picked up its skirts and began its fierce charge on the highlands. It changed the rain to snow in the wee hours, and come morning it is still blowing with powerful gusts, and snowing lightly. It builds upon the fly and sloughs off with a sigh as the tent warms or gravity takes its natural tithe.

I am not hunting in it. Three trucks arrive at roughly 9:30, which proves me to be a sloth. Meanwhile, after trading liquids and munching some supremely junky food, I dry the mattress and continue my book. I wish the book went on forever. Yes, miniscule mores and habits of European insects are the focus. Interspersed, however, are glimpses of rustic life in a time gone by (Fabre was born in 1823 and died in 1915), philosophical observations that are timeless, details that are uncanny in their depth, and new words and Latin phrases to learn the meanings of.

Another truck at 9:55. It's Duffy.

More water on top of the tent. I reassess. I believe it is on top of the fly, in the triangular space between the three main frame poles. I pushed it off. Duffy is perusing likely spots to park his tin can.

He sets up his metal door wedge (he has an Aliner) and I wander up. Hey! Techno-Man!

-

We went for a walk around the beaver ponds, lovely in the snow. That's where the pic of me and the Dakota in front of the snowy meadow was taken. It started snowing pretty good while we were out.
Here is Duffy behind the ponds.

-

When we got back, Bart had arrived and set his tent up. We sat up and talked for a bit, but the two travellers had had a busy day, Duffy's trip was about four hours, and Bart's was twice that. We turned in and slept like rocks.

Killdeer

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15218 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Chatter Member 2014
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Killdeer

--------------------

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15218 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
allanburden
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12080

Icon 1 posted      Profile for allanburden   Email allanburden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is absolutely great. Thank you again killdeer for sharing with all of us. I wish some of that white stuff would find it's way down south once in a while...

--------------------
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirt."
Romans 15:13

Posts: 483 | From: Laurens, SC | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Nock
Contributor 2007
Member # 116

I've not had this much fun nor remained this warm winter campin in my whole life! All the good, noneoftha bad! Whooie!

--------------------

TGMM Family of the Bow

Killdeer
Chatter Member 2014
Member # 437

Careful, Doc, or I will drag you out of that overinsulated office by your ears! You prolly got nice nails, dry socks, time for lunch and everything !

Bart got out early to hunt. He is losing his voice, which reminds me that last year he managed to gift me with his son's cold. I carefully check myself for changes in snot production over the course of the next week and a half. I went up to my Ray Charles trail, as it seemed the place to go. The snow had finally stopped, and a set of tracks had recently gone through the site, about 30 yards uphill. I decided to take down the flagging I had used. Gun season was coming, and there was no good to be had in leaving it up.

More tracks, lots of them underneath the flagging tape. Drat. I never saw a deer, but in the back of my head I was concocting a cockamamie plan for "baiting" a site with yards of fluorescent orangey-pink tape. It got dark and I came in. Bart had made a backstrap stew, and we toasted a hearty bread to go with it, using the pregnant lady. We ate like kings.

Killdeer

--------------------

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©