Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » The Adventures of Hope & Faith of Black Mountain (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: The Adventures of Hope & Faith of Black Mountain
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guru   Email Guru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice to see the lady's doing what they were built for!

I bunny hunted for a day with Miss Faith and she shot tradlites with 200grs. up front like lazers!

Good Luck BMN, are you hunting turkeys?

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting 3/19/06

Posts: 17193 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMN   Email BMN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Curt,

Yes I plan on taking Faith turkey hunting. Season opened today but I'll have to wait until the weekend at least. This little gal should handle well in the blind.

I shot some AD lites and Grizzly Stik sitkas through her last night with 175 grs up front. The sitka's did a little better than the AD's. I'll give 200 grs a try and see how that works.

Bill

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Posts: 1440 | From: Overland Park, Kansas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BMN   Email BMN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was finally able to get Faith out for a turkey hunt. Following is my entry into the Faith journal for the day.

4/7/09
What a great day of turkey hunting! I just wish I could say the same for my shooting. Went out this morning and got set-up in an old bean field along a wooded creek bottom. Birds have traditionally roosted along the creek and come to the field to feed and strut. As the sun came up, I heard several gobbles along the creek and 4-5 were less than hundred yards away. Game on! I gave a few soft yelps and then waited for fly down. After hearing the birds fly down I started ramping up the calling. A quick peek out the back of the blind revealed two toms working their way towards my set-up. The first tom was double bearded and the second approached in full strut. They were both headed for my decoys and I readied Faith for the shot that was sure to come. The birds approached quickly and in no time were 20 yards out. I thought for sure they would head straight to my jake decoy just 10 yards in front of the blind. But instead they popped their heads up and were suddenly on full alert. They didn't like something and turned to walk away. I figured it was now or never so I drew Faith and let her fly. The arrow just skimmed the side of the double bearded bird, not even pulling a feather. A clean miss. The birds stuck around a few minutes out in the middle of the bean field before wandering off to the north.
Before they exited the field two more turkeys stepped into the field about 200 yards further down the creek bottom. Both of these birds were adult toms but they didn't seen interested in my decoys or calls at all. They eventually left the field following the same path as the first two birds. Shortly after they left, I noticed two turkeys at the far end of the field about 400 yards away. A quick check with the binoculars confirmed that they were both adult toms as well. I started calling and they slowly made their way across the bean field. They would strut and gobble every now and then but were in no hurry to get to the other side of the field. Once they got about 75 yards outside my decoys one of the birds finally made a break for it and starting running toward the decoys. The other bird would have none of that and joined the chase. The race was on! They were both running side-by-side and bumping into each other trying to cut the other one off. They reminded me of two Nascar drivers trading paint down the back stretch of a big race. I readied for the shot that was sure to come very soon. The problem was theses two birds did the same thing as the first two. As soon as they got to within about 20 yards they stopped and got very nervous. They knew something was not right and started walking away. I took a shot as they walked off but shot right over their back. Another clean miss.
That was it for the day. I never heard or saw another turkey but the first hour and a half was some of the fastest turkey action I have ever experienced. A day I will remember for a long time.
I enjoyed my time with Faith and really appreciate the opportunity to take a small part in this great Tradgang tradition. Thanks to Terry, Brent, Dick, and everyone else who makes this happen. Great job guys!
Good luck to those remaining on the Faith list. Hopefully I got all the misses out of her.

Good Hunting,
Bill

Here are a few pictures from my day in the field with Faith.

Her small stature makes for a perfect blind bow.
 -

The set-up. How many bows do you think are in that hedge row? The osage in Faith is beautiful.
 -

Faith outside the blind.
 -

All packed up and ready for the walk out. Faith's light weight make her a joy to carry.
 -

Well that's it. I'm going to pack Faith up this weekend and send her to the beautiful Missouri Ozarks. Good luck Scott! Keep us posted.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 1440 | From: Overland Park, Kansas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swp   Email swp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Faith is now in SW Missouri and waiting for some turkey action next Monday.

--------------------
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Posts: 2111 | From: Ozark, Missouri | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guru
Admin
Member # 616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Guru   Email Guru   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Luck..... I think I have her for the second part of our season....

--------------------
Curt } >>--->

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting 3/19/06

Posts: 17193 | From: NY | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Widowbender
Contributor 2008
Member # 11268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widowbender   Email Widowbender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[jumper] [jumper]
Hope is in North Carolina!!! OHHHHHYYEEEEAAAAHHH!!!!

David

--------------------
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Posts: 1016 | From: Siler City, NC | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brent Rudolph
SPONSOR
Member # 10239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brent Rudolph   Email Brent Rudolph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, Thank you so much for the turkey hunt. Felt like I was in the blind along side. That is a great spot you got there. Thank you for adding to the journey.

Brent

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
www.blackmountainbows.com

Posts: 459 | From: Cana, VA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swp   Email swp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Took Faith for a turkey hunt in the rain this morning. Turkeys were talking but none would cooperate with us. We will try again tomorrow and hopefully get a picture or two.

--------------------
"People say you can't go back, its like when you get to the edge of a cliff and you take one more step forward or you do a 180 degree turn and take one more step forward. Which way are you going? Which one is progress?" Doug Tompkins

Posts: 2111 | From: Ozark, Missouri | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Killdeer
Chatter Member 2014
Member # 437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Killdeer   Author's Homepage   Email Killdeer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jonesin' for a Hope update...I like that lady!

Killdeer [archer]

--------------------
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Posts: 15222 | From: Fibber McGee's Closet, VA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10439

Faith and I got set up early this morning.
 -
But this guy was more of a lover than a fighter!
 -
I guess he figured with 3 hens why fight a stupid jake for two more. [Smile]
 -

--------------------

Widowbender
Contributor 2008
Member # 11268

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Widowbender   Email Widowbender   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alas, due to work and other unforseen events, my time with Hope was reduced to backyard shooting. She's a great little bow that I had "Hoped" to chase turkeys with, but it was not to be. I reluctantly put her in the mail yesterday. It has been such a treat just to hold a bow that has been touched by many and will touch many more in the future...

David

--------------------
David

>>>>--TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow-->

Chatham County Chapter NWTF
Chapel Hill Friends of NRA

Posts: 1016 | From: Siler City, NC | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10439

Faith and I were milliseconds from sending a shaft at a turkey this morning but they either saw some movement from me or a decoy and got nervous and never presented a clean shot. I have now got her packed and ready to continue the journey tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who made our time together possible. I am really looking forward to my new sheepeater now!

--------------------

BMN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6980

Great pics Scott! Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

bow loving man
Contributor 2015
Member # 4743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bow loving man   Author's Homepage   Email bow loving man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Faith is now in Texas for some turkey hunting...Hopefully all goes well...BLM

--------------------
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Posts: 1804 | From: Texas Panhandle | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swp
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 10439

Glad she made it down Barry, I was just getting ready to get on the USPS sight and check to see if you had gotten her yet.

--------------------

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©