Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Classics » Broadhead choices for hogs? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Broadhead choices for hogs?
tarponnut
SPONSOR
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had good luck on hogs using 4 blade Stingers,Phantoms, and Magnus two blades.
The best blood trail I've had was with the Muzzy Phantom 4 blades 125gr(480 grain arrow).
I haven't had much luck re-sharpening them, however. Two blade Magnus are great since they are tough, get scary sharp, and are easily re-usable.

For deer, I like a Magnus Snuffer 125 gr. which cut a big hole and leave a great blood trail.That is critical where I hunt in the Everglades.

--------------------
True South Adventures Inc.

www.truesouthadventures.com

Posts: 2307 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott J. Williams
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scott J. Williams   Author's Homepage   Email Scott J. Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry you are correct again! The fat, course hair, and the characteristics of the hide on a hog creates all kinds of problems in tracking after even a great hit.

I hunt them near, in water, thick nasty green hells. A quick kill, with as much blood as I can get are important. My Fiancee' is stuck on two blade Magnus, she only shoots 40 -44 pounds, they do the job just fine, but leaves a little to be desired in the blood department.

Razor sharp, mult-blade(3blade)heads, do a great job. While I have used Wensels over the past three seasons, I used MA3s prior, no doubt about it, they are the toughest of any head on the market, affordable, they are hard, and therefore are tough to get sharp. When you get them there, they hold an edge.

Just some observations I have made over the past 30 years of hunting and killing hogs.

--------------------
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Posts: 351 | From: Lake Norden, SD | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicat
Member # 16093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alicat   Email alicat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
looking at changeing from a two blade head to a 3 or 4 only i cant decide between the MA3, eskimo 4 blade or a magnus 1 4blade.
Will mostly be used for goats pigs and the odd red deer out of a 60# recurve.What are your thoughts cheers from New Zealand.

Posts: 6 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rik
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rik   Email Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alicat,

Most of the guys above are talking about shooting American feral hogs.

If your New Zealand boars are anything like Australian boars with the thick, tough, mud-caked fighting shields, you will be way better off sticking with a two-blade head.

Posts: 607 | From: Horseshoe Bend, Idaho | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alicat
Member # 16093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alicat   Email alicat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice rik thats a good point our pigs are prety tough.
Next question what do the magnus heads fly like with out the bleeder blades in.

Posts: 6 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turpentine
Member # 5097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turpentine   Email Turpentine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've shot hogs with recurves and longbows from 50 to 65 pounds. I killed 19 hogs this past year and was also involved in trailing 15 more for my brother (he's a compound shooter). We hunt in low, muddy, often flooded swamps with cutdowns and cane breaks so thick that most of our trailing is done on our knees. A good blood trail is very important. We've used Steelforce, Buckpole Patriot 2 and 4 Bld, Zwickey Eskimo 2 and 4 Bld, Zwickey Eskelite 2 and 4 blade, Magnus II 2 and 4 Bld, Snuffers, Wensel Woodsman, Grizzly and Ribtek. Most of my hogs were shot with a Black Widow MA II 56#s at 29" with 540 to 550 grain arrows. Six were shot with a Black Widow MA II 65#s at 29" with 610 grain arrows. I've had some poor results with penetration with both Snuffers and the Woodsman. Even with the 65# bow. I dub the tip on these heads. Even though penetration wasn't great, the blood trails were pretty good. That said, I've had great penetration with Grizzley's and the other two blade heads but the blood trails for the most part were lacking. The slit they leave seems to close easily due to fat and that thick (often muddy) skin around the sheild. I do like to try different designs and configurations but I always find myself coming back to one broadhead, the 4 blade Zwickey Eskimo. I like 4 blade heads in general, especially those with smaller bleeders, but the Zwickey is my favorite. I practice and shoot 99 percent of the time with broadheads. Since the Zwickey's are all one piece, I don't have to worry about losing the bleeders in targets. The small bleeders don't seem to impede penetration but really help to open up the hole. These heads are a little more difficult to sharpen than a removable bleeder style. I also like the looks of the muzzy phantom and the magnus stinger 4 bld but I've never tried them.
Shot placement (as many of you have said) seems to be the most important factor no matter what head you use. Stay tight to the front leg and low, slightly quartered away if possible. Hogs that are hit right, go down pretty quick. If you hit high or a little far back, you might want to bring some extra flashlight batteries and/or a dog.
Turpentine

--------------------
56# Black Widow MA II
65# Black Widow MA II
57# Homemade Longbow

Posts: 67 | From: Kingstree, South Carolina | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BUFF
Contributor 2012
Member # 6577

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUFF   Author's Homepage   Email BUFF   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you hit them far enough forward they will bleed. If you look closly you can see the blood pouring out of this one
http://www.buffsblackwidow.com/videos/welcomehog.wmv

Posts: 1087 | From: HALLSVILLE TEXAS | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leo L.
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leo L.   Author's Homepage   Email Leo L.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hog I shot this past weekend was with a G5 Striker Magnum. Looked like a scene out of a horror film there was so much blood.

--------------------
Traditional: Of or pertaining to tradition; derived from tradition

Posts: 770 | From: Houma, LA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Battle_shaft
Member # 16333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Battle_shaft   Email Battle_shaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I killed 2 this past weekend with 125gr snuffers and they both had great blood trails. One was a high double lung and the other was a (blown) neck shot.
Posts: 34 | From: North Florida | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turpentine
Member # 5097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turpentine   Email Turpentine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my hogs were shot from tree stands. Hogs do bleed very well when hit right. In most of my cases, hits at or below the halfway point of the body bleed profusely, even in the absence of an exit wound. In my experiences with narrow cut 2 blade heads, the amount of blood spilled decreased substantially. Not in every case, but this happened enough with both deer and hogs over the years to make me start using the 4 blade versions and experiment with 3 blades as well. As a result of my experiences, i'm not a fan of 3 blades. I'm certainly no expert but I am fortunate enough to get to hunt in a target rich environment. Many hunters love the three blades and have good success with them. Confidence in equipment is a huge ingredient in the formula for success and if three blades give you more, then use them. The three blades I've used were deadly, cut a nice hole, and left a good blood trail. They just don't quite penetrate as well as a 2 blade or a 4 blade with smaller bleeders. People that shoot lower poundage (to me 55# or less) or bows of lesser performance, might be better suited with the 2 or 4 blade. One problem I had when I first started shooting hogs was shooting them too far back or quartered away steeply. My home made longbow (medium to low performance) just lacked the punch to get the wensel woodsman into the vitals on steeply quartered animals from a treestand. The Zwickey made the difference and were able to get there on similar shots in the future. Unfortunately, as always, I had to learn this the hard way.
OK fellows, gotta go pick up my 5 year old son. We have an appointment with nightcrawlers and bedding shellcrackers.
Turpentine

--------------------
56# Black Widow MA II
65# Black Widow MA II
57# Homemade Longbow

Posts: 67 | From: Kingstree, South Carolina | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Biggie Hoffman
SPONSOR - Charter Member
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Biggie Hoffman   Email Biggie Hoffman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep me too. I would venture to say I've killed as many hogs as anybody with a bow and have used 3 blade heads exclusively for the better blood trails. I've been on too many hunts where the two blade guys don't find their hogs. Granted, it could be shot placement, but even with marginal hits, I'd rather have the hole a 3 blade makes than a slit from a two blade.

--------------------
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Posts: 4451 | From: Gray, Ga. 31032 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tarponnut
SPONSOR
Member # 13924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tarponnut   Email tarponnut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shot a nice sow last weekend with a four blade Magnus 125 gr. It bled a lot at the initial hit and went down in sight about 100 yards away.
The tall grass it ran through looked like it had been painted with a big brush. The photo is in
"Highlights" section.
I'm leaning more towards multi-blade heads.

--------------------
True South Adventures Inc.

www.truesouthadventures.com

Posts: 2307 | From: FL | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mint
Contributor 2014
Member # 5900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mint   Email Mint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I switched over the muzzy phantoms when they came out with the 4 blade 200gr model. They have worked great and leave a nice big whole that stays open so you get the best blood trail for the area you hit. That has helped me since sometimes the hogs can go in some thick stuff pretty fast down in florida and you need a blood trail to find them. I get my phantoms hair shaving sharp with the kme sharpening system in no time.

--------------------
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Posts: 1097 | From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
always89s boy
Cadet Member
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for always89s boy   Email always89s boy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am going hog hunting in florida in a few weeks and plan on hunting with my 55@28 mahaska recurve but have a 26" drw so im at about 47 pounds and have the choice of using ace standard 2-blades, snuffers, or ww's [all 125 grain] what would be the best for me

--------------------
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Posts: 289 | From: Southern VA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
always89s boy
Cadet Member
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for always89s boy   Email always89s boy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i forgot to add that ill be using carbons and cedars if that makes a difference

--------------------
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Posts: 289 | From: Southern VA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©