Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Build Alongs » The Tollhouse Recurve (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Tollhouse Recurve
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dano   Author's Homepage   Email Dano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of ya'll may remember Timo cuttin osage back in Januray. With Tim standing in that hollowed out tree, he did kinda look like a keebler elfe but don't tell him I said that [Big Grin] My good friend Tim gave me a piece of that gold harvest at MOJam, and I just have to make my best bow yet outa her. So I need some help, which is more important? Getting the limbs to bend even out of the fades or getting the tips to bend first? This would be my second attempt at a recurve, I would kinda like it to live.
 -
This is a primo piece of wood.
 -
Here she is roughed out, and tips steam bent.
 -

--------------------
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Posts: 7500 | From: Nevada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trashwood
Charter Member
Member # 827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trashwood   Author's Homepage   Email trashwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooooooo looking as good as a yellar chocolate chip cookie

rusty

Posts: 5715 | From: fort worth, TX | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dosbow56
Contributing Member 2006
Member # 1298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dosbow56   Email dosbow56   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dano you humble me...... [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy] [Not Worthy]
happy holidays,
dave

--------------------
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Posts: 1429 | From: Manhattan IL | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocdoc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocdoc   Email rocdoc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dano......that piece of wood is WAAAAY to straight; no way it'll ever make a bow! [thumbsup]

--------------------
"The crappy stuff makes you a better bowyer, but the good stuff makes better bows"....Ferret

Posts: 1444 | From: Sapulpa, OK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dano   Author's Homepage   Email Dano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be humbled Dave, Be happy [Big Grin] Happy Holidays.

Doug, I know that's what I'm worried about [dntthnk] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Posts: 7500 | From: Nevada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocdoc
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocdoc   Email rocdoc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dano.....might I suggest you heat gun a sharp deflex at each fade, followed by a couple of snake curves and maybe even drill 2 or 3 'mock' pin-holes in each limb. That should make you feel more at home. [bigsmyl]

--------------------
"The crappy stuff makes you a better bowyer, but the good stuff makes better bows"....Ferret

Posts: 1444 | From: Sapulpa, OK | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meathook
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 67

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meathook   Author's Homepage   Email Meathook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks sweet Dr. Dano continue the lesson please.

--------------------
"Go ahead and run ya gotta sleep sometime." - Meathook's Mom

Posts: 4111 | From: Western NY | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Now I feel like Dr. Frankenstien, thanks Don!!! Merry Christmas Buddy.

Doug, I know I'll be bored to death with such a clean piece of wood, but I'll try to get by like it is. [bigsmyl]

--------------------

Hog Wild
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hog Wild   Email Hog Wild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dano, When I grow up I want to build a bow like you. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Sawdust, Wood Chips, and Shavings are as close to Potpourri as I get!!!!!!

Posts: 763 | From: Sebastian ,Florida | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

I don't wanna grow up, I wanna retire and do this till I do grow up. [bigsmyl] Happy Holidays Steven!!

--------------------

bayoulongbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bayoulongbowman   Email bayoulongbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice...yellar wood...gitter done [bigsmyl] [wavey] [wavey] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had better be right!"

Posts: 12165 | From: Baton Rouge , La. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bow loving man
Contributor 2015
Member # 4743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bow loving man   Author's Homepage   Email bow loving man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dano, you will do that one justice I am sure! what a beauty that other bow in the primo piece of wood is! What is it made of? Merry Christmas, Barry

--------------------
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Posts: 1805 | From: Texas Panhandle | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Thanks Barry and Merry Christmas to you. The bow on the left is a BBO, I haven't quite finished yet and the one on the right is an osage bow I need to sinew.

--------------------

bow loving man
Contributor 2015
Member # 4743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bow loving man   Author's Homepage   Email bow loving man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are good! I am so amazed at the talented and gifted bowyer on this site! If I made a bow it would probably come out looking like an old man's cane... [Smile]
Barry

--------------------
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Posts: 1805 | From: Texas Panhandle | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dano
Contributor 2009
Member # 748

Yep, made one like that once [bigsmyl] Don't let that stop ya Barry.

--------------------

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©