Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » 100% Instinctive versus Gap versus What-ever (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: 100% Instinctive versus Gap versus What-ever
Pete Darby
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 555

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Darby   Email Pete Darby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is amazing how you can see bits and pieces of yourself and your style in these posts yet seldom the whole picture in one post. Here is my picture.
I started with Byron Ferguson's book and pretty much find what he said to be true. I start with a gap and then work on flight of the arrow, and somewhere along the line I end up with instinctive. I have never really payed much attention to distance with gap shooting. From here to there is a gap I get used to and recognize. If I have to shoot fast I may or may not remember seeing the arrow.
Since I really am working on flight of the arrow the gap appears to me less as a gap between my spot and the arrow tip and more as a whole unit of hand and arrow (Not really the tip so fieldpoints or broadheads make no difference) and how they should look in relation to the target so that the arrow is on the flight path to the spot prior to loosing. This probably doesn't make much sense if you don't do it. But it works.
I shoot with a group of target shooters and one day someone mis-measured the targets. We thought we were shooting 20,30 and 40 yards but in reality were shooting something else. Everyones scores dropped but mine. They were aiming 20,30 and 40 and I was aiming from here to there.

--------------------
Pete Darby

Posts: 512 | From: Manasses VA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pete Patterson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pete Patterson   Email Pete Patterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of all the posts on this subject over the years, there seems to be this notion that there is a badge of honor somehow associated with being able to shoot instinctively. Allow me a slightly different take on the matter.

I think just the opposite. I have to shoot instinctively because I'm terribly deficient at accurately determining distances. And so I have to settle for shooting in a maner that avoids figuring out how far away the target is or how large of a gap is required for a good shot. I've tried and I can't do it. Additionally, if that arrow shaft appears in my vision, I become distracted and my accuracy suffers.

If I could judge distance better, I truly believe I'd be a better shooter. For me, instintive shooting is not that badge of honor....it is instead a crutch of sorts.

--------------------
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Posts: 398 | From: Columbia SC | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©