Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » Tips and advice on "picking-a-spot" on game, its ruining my hunting (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tips and advice on "picking-a-spot" on game, its ruining my hunting
ptaylor
Member # 3010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ptaylor   Email ptaylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Missed the same turkey twice this past weekend on consecutive days from less than 15 yards. Several deer last season all misses at less than 20 yards.

I get so freaked out I just pull my bow up and shoot, and every time I realize later that I never have picked a spot.

"Picking-a-spot" is the only factor that is keeping me from becoming a succesfull trad hunter. I can't take another year of near misses.

Should I buy tagets that look like the game I'm hunting? What specifically should I be practicing on? Any tips or hints, I'm becoming desperate.

Posts: 95 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snakeeater
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snakeeater   Email Snakeeater   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Using targets that look like your intended game should help you to get past the buck fever some.

Some folks find that getting your shooting down to a routine helps to overcome the excitement. Add concentration on a single hair or patch of color on the target to your practice regimen.

--------------------
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Posts: 1607 | From: Annapolis, Maryland | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Curlis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Curlis   Email Bill Curlis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ptaylor,

You are having the same trouble that many hunters have. It sounds like you are looking at the entire animal when you shoot.

You may have heard people speak of having tunnel vision when they shoot. That is picking a spot. You only concentrate on the area of the animal you want to shot it at. A hair out of place, light hitting a feather. You get the idea.

Shooting at 3-D targets can help you get the feel for this. You must still concentrate on the smallest spot that you can see well. For some that is the size of a pin head, for others it's the size of a baseball, and for others it may be larger yet. The point is to aim at the smallest possible point that you can see and try to let everything else, the rest of the animal, go out of focus.

Hope this will help. It takes time and practice but once you are able to do this you will see great improvement on hunting shots.

Bill

--------------------
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Posts: 571 | From: Turlock,CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carcajou
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 1206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carcajou   Email Carcajou   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best thing to do is, not to look at the animal as a "whole"...by that I mean, once you make the decision that you are going to shoot that animal, start by focusing on one spot behind the wing, or shoulder and concentrate! Pick a tuft of hair, a ruffled feather, a dark feather, etc....

go out in the back yard and shoot at a ping pong ball in the grass next to a basketball, you will probably hit the ping pong ball more often than you'd expect...it narrows your focus down....

and dont get intimidated by the critter! it happens to a lot of people. just focus, pick a hair, and shoot!

--------------------
" Brothers of the Flaming Arrow "
" I came in from the Wilderness, a creature void of form"
" TGMM Family of the Bow"

Posts: 4420 | From: Tug Hill, NY | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bill Curlis
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 781

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill Curlis   Email Bill Curlis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carajou,

We must have been thinking the same thing at the same time. Very good advise.

--------------------
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Posts: 571 | From: Turlock,CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frenchymanny
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frenchymanny   Email Frenchymanny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

How often do you practice?
in hunting situation it is your automated routine that comes up so if you're practicing for a lung shot (on dear)you will automatically lock your aim on lungs.

Myself what helps me a lot, I imagine the heart beating <<in>> the deer.

Go and hunt for boars in reserves if you can to build up confidence.

regards,
F-Manny

--------------------
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Posts: 2834 | From: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frenchymanny
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 8403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frenchymanny   Email Frenchymanny   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double post

--------------------
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Posts: 2834 | From: Montreal, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JC
Contributor 2014
Member # 148

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JC   Email JC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice here, I especially like Carcajou's. I still sometimes struggle with this if I let myself "slip" into the giddy oblivion when inside "wolf range" of a big game animal.

One thing I will tell you from personal experience, the best way to become an effective killer is to kill game. Sounds simplistic, but there is no substitute for actually making the shot on a live animal. I strongly suggest small game, again and again to help hone your shot picking. Helped me considerably...and still does to this day.

--------------------
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Posts: 9619 | From: Ranger, GA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vermonster13
SPONSOR
Member # 8675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vermonster13   Email vermonster13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has good advice. I second the small game. Once you get blood on an arrow, the others get easier.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Posts: 21856 | From: Rutland, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
overbo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for overbo   Email overbo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JC hit the nail.I struggled w/ picking the spot and still do at times.Shooting game of all types hones the killer instincts.
Posts: 2251 | From: Va | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
macbow
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for macbow   Email macbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All good advice. During the summer you might go bow fishing. When you spot some fish don't just throw an arrow right away. Study the fish, notice the gills moving look for odd colors rtc. Once your totally calm then pick a spot and follow through with the shot. Do the same thing with some squirrels. and then when deer season arrives do't rush the shot, do the same routine looking at the dee, Tell yourself your not going to shoot so that you remain calm.
If your first thought when you see a deer is "pick a spot" everything becomes easier. From the moment you remember to pick a spot way before it is in range start trying to find the spot, maybe some hair out of place or a muscles edge.
I missed two deer this past season and there is no doubt I didn't pick a spot. Yes the deer ducked but that just saved me from wouinding them with a high hit.
Ron

--------------------
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Posts: 3291 | From: Warsaw, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
poekoelan
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7035

Icon 1 posted      Profile for poekoelan   Email poekoelan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my two cents. Don't have a deer with a bow yet, so take it for what it's worth...

First, know the spot where the arrow must strike to make a clean kill. Know what it looks like and where it's at. Know how the different angles will look in order to put the arrow in the kill zone. Sounds simple and everyone probably already knows that.

Second, as you are sitting on your stand, tell yourself over and over that you are going to pick the spot. If you are like me, you will way more than enough time to do this before you see any game.

Third, and most important, IMO. As an animal comes into view, make a quick descion as to whether or not you want to shoot it. If more than one exposes itself, this can get very complicated. Most of us will want the biggest one. I am going for the closest one. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. But the closest one at forty yards might not be the closest one when they come into range. I don't know for sure, but I bet more people screw up the shot when their concentration is divided between targets. Not to mention the fact that there are more eyes, noses, and ears present to bust you.

But once you decide to shoot a specific animal, put your eyes on it's kill zone and keep them there. Forget about antlers and anything else. I practice this on any animals that I see without my bow. I even practice this on dogs and cats. Just focusing on the kill zone as soon as I see them. Of course, I don't point an arrow at them.

I believe the more you keep your vision focused on the kill zone, the easier it will be to pick the spot. So as soon as I spot an animal, I keep myself focused on the kill zone.

This all just my untried opinion and it's what I do mentally to keep my odds up when I finally get the oppurtunity. But it's something I've thought about alot.

Any opinions from the veteran deer slayers?

Posts: 337 | From: Youngstown,Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray Hammond
SPONSOR
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Hammond   Author's Homepage   Email Ray Hammond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
depending on how much game you get to see at close ranges, it may also be helpful to go someplace like a wild game park or ranch..we have on in Atlanta called Yellow River Game Ranch..they have all kinds of stuff there from rabbits to whitetails.

go there and watch deer. Get up close to the fence, and watch their interaction/actions and just familiarize yourself with them udner circumstances where you are NOT shooting them.

Look at their musculature, the bone structure, even carry a NBEF vitals chart with you and compare the living thing to the pictures on that.

Sounds too simplistic, I am sure...but being familiar with the game is part of getting over the hump...a lot of good advice above too.

--------------------
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 8827 | From: Buford GA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Al33
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al33   Author's Homepage   Email Al33   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good advice by all. [thumbsup]

If I am not careful, I get too concerned about spooking the animal and think about how not to versus thinking about the shot.
One thing that has helped me over the years is to mentally shoot every animal you see a photo or video of. When looking in a magazine at a deer standing somewhere, mentally shoot it after focusing on where you want the arrow to hit. I promise you that if you will do this over and over from now until next deer season it will help wonders. Works even better when you are watching game on videos.

Good luck and know for certain you have a lot of company with this problem, but you WILL overcome it.

Posts: 721 | From: Marietta, Georgia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampbuck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampbuck   Email swampbuck       Edit/Delete Post 
If somebody already said it I,m sorry as I didn,t read all the posts....

I like to find something out of place...a fat wrinkle on a deer is good and genrally there is a wrinkle or tuff of hair to shoot at.On turkeys I,m a greenhorn and can,t help ya LOL but would think the same apply,s....Don,t shoot at the bird but at the end of a feather or somethin.....hope to find that one out soon myself LOL anyway on deer it's pretty simple for me I shoot at fat wrinkles and if not that I try hard to sever the aorta.The last has gotten me a bit to close to bones in the past so I,ve opted for the wrinkle for trad gear with decent results........good luck!!

--------------------
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Posts: 3101 | From: Byron NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©