Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » Tips and advice on "picking-a-spot" on game, its ruining my hunting (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Tips and advice on "picking-a-spot" on game, its ruining my hunting
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Along the same vein, I once took a college friend bowhunting, a Looong time ago. It was his first hunt. At the end of the day, he walked into camp smiling and I thought he shot something. He described how he had a very young deer walk past him, very close, while he was in a ground hide, and that it was near him for several minutes. He said it was great, he was shaking and excited and everything.

When asked why he didn't shoot he calmly stated...well, remember how you told me to always pick a spot to aim at......well the little guy had too many spots and I couldn't decide on which one ! Big smiles, happy hunter. He had a great day.

Also, learn that, "the kill zone" or the "heart / lung area" is NOT a spot. A clump of hair, or a dirt spot etc is a spot. Aim small / miss small.
Good shooting
Chuck

Posts: 5333 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckC
Contributor 2013
Member # 1813

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckC   Email ChuckC   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I'm talking so much. PT...you made an excellent statement earlier, about sure shots...so sayeth "the Block". That is a great statement that we all need to take to heart.

When we hunt, we are (typically, anyway) not hunting "Blocks" but critters. What you do when shooting at targets doesn not necessarily translate to anything else. The fact that you can hit a "Block" at 20 yards does not seem to carry over to deer....at least not yet. It will, with enough exposure and practice.

Without preaching the issue, please take note of that statement.
Chuck

Posts: 5333 | From: Deforest, Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mudfeather
Contributing member - Charter Member
Member # 1407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mudfeather   Email Mudfeather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I struggled with this exact same thing for years. I was very sucessful with my compound. I'll bet the first thing you do is pick a spot on the animal.

My mentor RC helped me more than anybody! Here is what he told me.

He asked me one day how did you shoot your compound?? I drew and held a minute. Actually I didn't pick a spot untill I was at full draw then I placed my pin on the spot and shot. Then he asked.........why do you shot your recurves differently???

Now I look at the whole animal...when I hit full draw.............NOW I pick a spot...burn it..and let it slip.

NOT prefect but alot better!!!!!!!1

--------------------
"Dad, you and me are bow shooting huntin buddies OK?"

My son Kasey- age 5...Jan 8, 2007

Keith Bruner

Posts: 1210 | From: better in Metter, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©