Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » Women's Shooting Form (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Women's Shooting Form
QuailTreker
Member # 9171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuailTreker   Email QuailTreker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm a recent beginning female archer and prospective bow hunter and would much appreciate an experienced female archer either putting up a shooting form video or directing me to a link where I could have a good representation to study. I know the instructions from the teacher are the same to either a male or female student, but it would be helpful to me and my daughter to see an experienced women shooting properly. Thanks so much! I really enjoy this website!
Posts: 12 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Weird Donkey
Member # 8531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Weird Donkey         Edit/Delete Post 
dont have any video or i cant exactly tell you what to do, but in my archery class we had 2 or 3 girls experiencing problems with their breast size and the bow string. but that was while shooting with an "olympic" style of form. the teacher suggested the use of a plastron or something similar. i dont know if this can be any help for you !
Posts: 52 | From: Qc | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuailTreker
Member # 9171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuailTreker   Email QuailTreker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks. That did come up during our first lesson and a similar fix was suggested, plus opening the stance a little more toward the target. Just hoping someone will point me toward a video.
Posts: 12 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trevor
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trevor   Email Trevor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try this link, click on Park, sung-hyun.
hope this helps
http://www.texasarchery.org/L1/HSV.htm

--------------------
If it ain't broke, I break it, how else am I supposed to know whats on the inside?

Posts: 105 | From: Prince Edward Island, Canada | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuailTreker
Member # 9171

Wow! Great quality video and amazing young woman. Thanks so much Trevor. Very helpful. One question: Her follow-through, with breaking the wrist of the bow hand....is that typical for the bow set-up she's using?
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Quailtreker (interesting handle..how'd ya get it?)

A lot of women's bow arms tend to bend in at the elbow towards the string causing string intereference while shooting. It's why you see a lot of women wearing armguards from their wrist to their armpit almost. You can learn to roll your forearm away from the string by holding on to a vertical pole and twisting your foroearm out of the way while keeping your hand vertically, gaining string clearance in the process. Give it a try and you will see the difference.

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Countrygirl, Killdeer, and Pinecone?

Then gals can fix ya up I guarantee.

--------------------
"An anchor point is not a destination, it's an evolution to execution" - Me

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Black Powder Gang ......... & www.loopaddictions.com

Posts: 31249 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuailTreker
Member # 9171

'Quail', for game birds, which I'd like to learn to hunt, and 'treker' because I like to hike up here in the Northwest.
Thanks much, Ferret and Terry, for the info and the contacts.

GameMaster
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GameMaster   Email GameMaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try to keep a 30 to 40 degree angle of your hand on the grip, this will also give the arm more clearance from the sting. My wife and I have been teaching the National Archery Schools Program for 4 years now and run into alot of the common problems. They also have a good DVD out on shooting form. For some reason the ladies with the longer arms will have more trouble hitting the arm with the string on release.
Posts: 262 | From: Racine,Wi. | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tamure
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamure   Author's Homepage   Email tamure   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For everyone's entertainment, I can try making a video of myself tonight or tomorrow. I shoot much differently.

Your form will depend a lot on what type of bow you shoot. The "Olympic" style form will not work well if you are shooting a longbow with only a slightly cut-in shelf. The arrow will keep falling off.

When I shoot, my wrist "breaks" at the end, similar to how you see in those videos, but much less dramatically. This is because you aren't just pulling on the string, you're pushing the bow away from you as well. Not just your shoulder and upper arm, but your hand also. You push as if trying to straighten your wrist so the palm would be parallel to the ground. You should feel it in your forearm muscle. When you let go of the string, the bow will naturally tip forward from this pushing motion. The dramatic tipping you see in the video is largely due to the weight of the stabilizers on the bow. Without all that weight, the bow would likely still tip a little because of form. The theory is also that you should hold the bow very loosely, if not with an open hand. The loose grip also contributes to the tipping. I personally prefer a firmer grip. I like to see the bow tip forward just a bit, the string in line with the rest, and the arrow flying, and my bow hand stock still until after the arrow hits the target. Of course, it doesn't always quite happend that way. [Wink]

You also see in the Olympic style that the shooters stand just about rim-rod straight. My stance is with knees slightly bent, leaning forward at the waist, most weight on the left foot (toward the target), bow canted. It looks much more like a crouch.

As Weird Donkey mentioned, your body type / shape may dictate somewhat as well. But I certainly haven't the problem he mentioned, so I'm afraid I can't offer much advice there.

--------------------
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Posts: 833 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer 1
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archer 1   Email Archer 1   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome QuailTreker,

In Howard Hill's DVD (Howard Hill's Greatest)
He is teaching a bunch of young women how to shoot, and one of them has excelent form, and shoots very well. It's old, but it still holds true today. If you watch it, I think it may help you.
Good Luck,
Archer1

--------------------
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Posts: 383 | From: Harrison, Mich. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuailTreker
Member # 9171

Thanks so much to Game Master, Tamure, and Archer 1. I identified with all the problems and there are great resources suggested here, all around. Howard, I'll find it. Could be very helpful....especially for my daughter, who I think has great potential!! The more I know and study, the more I want to know and study. Tamure, put up that video!
QT

tamure
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamure   Author's Homepage   Email tamure   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find all the posts about women's bow arms getting in the way sort of interesting. I never had much of a problem with it. I still wear an armguard / bracer though, because sometimes I do something wrong and really get slapped. It depends on the bow too. I'd never shoot a Martin Stick without one. I shot my ChekMate Raven (a recurve) many times without one.

I think it also has to do with learning correct form, i.e., keep the elbow straight if not slightly bent, rather than hyperextended. The elbow-turning-in thing I think can also be caused by being overbowed. You "lock" your arm out there (which turns the elbow in) in order to hold the weight.

I didn't have time to make the video last night, but I should tonight! [Big Grin] The weather is finally supposed to be nice too. I certainly don't claim to have perfect form, but I think watching as many other people (male or female) can be helpful for learning new techniques to try.

--------------------

Posts: 833 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frank V
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank V   Email Frank V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quailtreker, Welcome to the gang!!! Frank

--------------------
U.S.A. "Ride For The Brand Or Leave."

Posts: 1961 | From: S.W. Montana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tamure
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3789

A picture is worth a thousand words (so is a video worth a thousand pictures?)

There's nothing to shoot in my garage, but here's a few pics of me with my new Pronghorn (thanks, CJ!).

You can see how much I lean forward into it. In the first side view, it looks like my arm is locked out, and the elbow turning in. That bump at the top of my elbow is actually just my massive muscles. [tunglaff]
[heman]

In the front view you can see that my elbow is actually a little bent. From the back you can see why I still wear an armguard. A bow with a high-wrist grip (like many recurves have) will naturally turn your wrist/forearm more away from the string.

Anyone else with comments, please post them. [Smile]

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©