Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » Women's Shooting Form (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Women's Shooting Form
countrygirl
Contributor 2017 - Charter Member
Member # 27

Icon 1 posted      Profile for countrygirl   Email countrygirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey...I heard ya'll were looking for me!

I don't have any videos of me shooting...not sure I want to make any either...I can shoot fair to middlin...some times great and some times not so great. I shoot best while hunting!!! [Wink] I like a heavy bow weight...(I LIKE to feel a lil resistance when I draw a bow)if I have not been practicing like I should I sometimes shoot with a high elbow. I shoot best when my elbow is not high. I could not open Tamure's video but from her pics she looks great...I wish my elbow was always where hers it. I also shoot instictive...look at the target...pic a spot and release. I don't gap shoot...tried...could not figure it out. I have an open stance with my left foot pointing at what I wanna hit. I do wear an arm guard...but not a chest protector. If anyone was gonna need one it should be me...but I don't...go figure. I have seen women wear them though. I have been shooting for about 6 years.

I have a LOT of bows...I love my Morrisons...I love my self bows....but right now...my fav-o-rite bow is Black Widow PTFV recurve...it is SWEET!

BTW...I can draw my bows fine with my elbow down...it is when I get lazy or sloppy that it goes up.

Quailtreker...avoid the "debutante" stance...my husband broke me from doing it a long time ago.

My husband is a great coach...very honest!!!
Even though I have a great coach...I would love to go to the Fred Asbell shooting clinic...maybe one year I will.

Thanks for missing me Terry! This is my crazy time at work and I am not on line much this time of year.

--------------------
"Gator n 'Dilla Killah"

Posts: 3462 | From: Florida | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuailTreker
Member # 9171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuailTreker   Email QuailTreker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tamure, finally got to see your movies. Impressive! Thanks for going to the trouble...from all of us. Have you always shot the long bow? Ever the recurve? Who made your bow?
Countrygirl, thanks for the nice greeting, the bio and the shooting philosophy. I have no idea what a 'debutante stance' is but believe me, I am no debutante! There is more good personal info and reference material here than I can absorb in 6 months. All I need now is lots of time to shoot and study! Thanks everyone!

Posts: 12 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tamure
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamure   Author's Homepage   Email tamure   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have shot recurves too, but I just like longbows better. The grip on most recurves is uncomfortable for me, too high. There is a picture around here somewhere of a quail I shot with a ChekMate Raven recurve. When I was little I shot a fibreglass recurve, then I shot compounds for a while, and now I'm on to longbows. [Smile]
That bow is a Pronghorn, made by Herb Meland of Casper, Wyoming. http://www.pronghornbows.com

I believe the "debutante stance" is like what my mom is doing in those pics: hip out, leaning sort of away from the target, standing straight up. Correct me if I'm wrong, Countrygirl.

There is indeed an incredible wealth of information here. Last summer I started to compile a bunch of it together to make a reference CD for myself. I gave up after a while, because it was simply too much! And I wasn't even including any of the stuff on making bows...

--------------------
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Posts: 833 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Mussatto
Contributor 2011
Member # 444

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Mussatto   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Mussatto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who cannot view QT video the clips have been combined into one and converted to Windows format. The video is also now available on the Members Video Forum.

Good stuff Kerry, thanks for sharing. [thumbsup]

Kerry's Shooting Form

--------------------
Tom Mussatto

Posts: 1311 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawika b
Contributor 2016
Member # 8024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawika b   Email kawika b   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that last bit where kerry shoots "at" the camera is too cool.now i know how my deadstop feels,lol.

--------------------
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2388 | From: maui | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numitokayo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8398

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Numitokayo   Author's Homepage   Email Numitokayo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the wife says I shoot like a " Girly Man"...LOL There must be a message in there...LOL

She still whoops me silly... [Smile] [Smile]

Daniel

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 983 | From: Fort Simpson, Northwest Territories | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave of the North
Member # 8692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave of the North   Email Dave of the North   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're pretty big and scary for a "girly-man", Dan! [Big Grin]

Seriously, Lady Marian should post a couple of photos to this thread; her form is great, and you can't argue with her results. [Wink]

Dave

--------------------
"There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast."

Charles Dickens

Posts: 72 | From: Northwest Territories Canada | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinecone
Contributor 2007
Member # 1931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinecone   Email Pinecone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...I'm late on this one and haven't read all of the posts, but I suspect there has been a mountain of good and useable advise already provided.
QuailTreker, if you have not already found a female archer to act as your "tour guide", I'd be happy to offer my assistance. I don't currently have a video, but could probably put one together for you within a few weeks. As some others have no doubt mentioned, however, gender as well as individual body shape, grip preferences, etc. can all act upon a person's develpment of stance, bow arm extension/flexion, bending at the waist, etc.
Two shooting characteristics that are the same for all of us are that the bow arm must point solidly on the target, and the follow through of the string hand must be straight back in the opposing direction from the target. This relationship creates the alignment that directs the arrow.
From my point of view, the hunting archer has a good bit of latitude to develop a particular personal style as it relates to shooting the bow and arrow. However, the non-negotiables (in my opinion) are rock solid bow arm and rock solid follow through.
Feel free to PM me if I can be of assistance. I'd be more than happy to help in any way that I can!

Claudia

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2260 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuailTreker
Member # 9171

Icon 1 posted      Profile for QuailTreker   Email QuailTreker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks much, Claudia. I think it would be wonderful if all the more experienced shooters put together their form videos to share. I have several on my desktop now, including Kerry's, Rod Jenkin's and that young woman that took the gold in '04. I can look at one or a couple quickly before heading to the backyard to shoot. I've made a little one of myself that painfully illustrates how far I have to go. But I'm certain that seeing it done right repeatedly is a great teacher....at least for me...and I'll improve faster than would have otherwise.
Shot my first 3-D funshoot today. Did't even carry a scorecard because it was non-competitive, met the nicest folks. They didn't mind me moving closer than the stakes, helped me look for my arrows, cheered me on mightily when I made a good hit. Most of them were shooting compounds, and the women and girls were commenting on how strong they thought I must be to "hold the draw so long", (it really wasn't that long), and how difficult to shoot a traditional bow. Have to admit to some prideful feelings from that! I got a lot better by the end of the day. What fun!!
Thanks again for the input. I'll read your postings for more!
Shanna

Posts: 12 | From: Vancouver, Washington | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traxx
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traxx   Email Traxx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
Kerry showed her form today,at our Bowhunter bonanza shoot today.She was on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!
She won't tell yall about it herself,so i will.She shot the highest longbow score of the shoot.Her score was higher than the winning mens score,and i know,cause i was callin em.She earned every point,and some of the distances were,right at the almost too far range.Didn't slow her down any.I was downright impressed.Congrats.

--------------------
Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye. Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark.

Posts: 1410 | From: Reno Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SHOOTO8S
SPONSOR
Member # 2727

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOOTO8S   Author's Homepage   Email SHOOTO8S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by QuailTreker:
I've made a little one of myself that painfully illustrates how far I have to go.
Shanna

Don't worry about how far you have to go.....once you get "there" you will look back and realize, getting"there" was more fun! Always remember, in times of frustration....everyone WAS a beginner!

Good luck on your journey !

Rod

--------------------
www.safarituff.com

2004 IBO World Champion

Posts: 1972 | From: Decatur,AL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
QuailTreker
Member # 9171

Wow! Thanks Rod. I'm feeling rather star-struck to have received a reply from you. And congratulations to Kerry on such an outstanding performance today, plus thanks to 2Traxx for letting us all know about it! Would love to have seen that!
Strawberry Roan
Member # 6564

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberry Roan   Email Strawberry Roan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, I found the books "Core Archery" and "Precision Archery" to be extremely helpful, especially on how to use your body's structure to best advantage and reducing stress and fatigue. Of course I've also had a lot of coaching from some great guys, Rod included (Hi there!) [Smile] It's great to see some more gals get involved and just as great that the guys are welcoming us in!
Posts: 65 | From: New Mexico | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roadkill
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2828

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadkill   Email Roadkill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerry, I didn't get to shoot today-trip to DC, but I heard you smoked everyone with your new Pronghorn-beat all the men too. I heard from a relaible source. good on ya, girl.

--------------------
goodness of woodness, Semper Fidelis. Molon labe

Posts: 3049 | From: Nevada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tamure
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tamure   Author's Homepage   Email tamure   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] Thanks Skip and Todd. I blame it all on the new Pronghorn. [Wink]

QuailTreker, taking videos of yourself I think is a very good way to learn! Boy did I learn a lot from those videos I just made. Things look completely different than they feel sometimes.

Sounds like you are very fired up! That is good! Just don't over do it to the point that you get frustrated, burned out, or worse, develop tendonitis. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Directions: Hike, camp, hunt, fish, wash, rinse, repeat.

Posts: 833 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©