Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » Shooting at 40 yards (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Shooting at 40 yards
Ragi
***unregistered***

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It occures to me to ask why we dont shoot at longer distances more often? many folks are hunting at 25 yeards max if that. back in the day an englishman could nail the plate to a french knight or slip and arrow into his armpit at 200 plus yards. what have we lost?

In the SCA we have whats called a Royal round which is basicaly and end of 6 arrows at 20 30 and 40 yards. and some folks can hit the gold regularly at 40 yards with no problem. me I can sometimes hit the target at that range. mostly I miss.

I am sure we could work out to longer ranges accurately and if we far enough away that the deer wont jump our string then cool

I know my 55 lb recurve has the punch with a 550 grain arrow to do the job so why not shoot that far till you can do it first shot?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Norris   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only justify taking a hunting shot at about 25 yards. Beyond that, it isn't a sure thing. I shoot pretty well at 30 yards, but I miss enough not to feel qualified to hunt that far. I'm sure some guys can hunt at 40 yards....BUT....I strongly feel that beyond 25 yards, in a hunting situation, too many things can happen. 1/2 a step by the deer upon your release can turn a kill shot into a gut shot at that range.

The guys shooting at Muley's with a compound at 100 yards? Sorry. They are missing the point. They should stick to the rifle season. At the risk of sounding judgemental, I would call that unethical.

--------------------
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"
www.Tradwoodsman.com What the heck is an Arrow Canoe?

Posts: 3985 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legolas
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 807

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legolas   Email Legolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shooting over 30 yards just felt wrong. I did not have the instinctive feel and it was a hail Mary. Then I thought " why not aim at a spot that was say as many inches above the target as my arrows were hitting low when I aimed like it was 20 yards? I mean really aim the same dang way as when I hold on a 20 yard shot. Forget about the spot you want to hit and just burn a hole at the new spot.

This was a mental break through for me.

I was worried about the gap and felt so out of place shooting gap but not any good at it.

What do you think?

Leg

--------------------
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Posts: 1222 | From: Athens, OH (Middle Earth) | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StanM
SPONSOR
Member # 859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StanM   Author's Homepage   Email StanM   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
We have spent many afternoons in the sandunes in northern Michigan launching arrows at 100 yards or more at a gallon milk jug. My kids call it "playing Braveheart"...

That's funny Roger, we do the same thing in my archery class and the students also call it "playing Braveheart". We shoot at gunny sacks stuffed with plastic, though. I find it amazing how accurate you can get shooting at something that is roughly 3' x 4' at distances around 100 yards.

Stan

--------------------
Red Feather Archery

Posts: 1899 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roger Norris   Author's Homepage   Email Roger Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stan - the accuracy is amazing isn't it? No way would I stand 100 yards downrange of my kids!

--------------------
"I think wolves would find me stringy, of high cholesterol, with an Irish whiskey aftertaste"

Posts: 3985 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JasonV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JasonV   Email JasonV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Norris:

At the risk of sounding judgemental, I would call that unethical.

No offense intended, but I don't understand that comment.....

What is unethical about taking a shot that you can accurately and reliably make?

--------------------
The beaten path is for beaten men.

Posts: 1396 | From: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Jason - I would call it unethical because a 100 yard bow shot, on live game, cannot be "reliably" made. At 100 yards, so many things can happen with the wind, the animal taking 1/2 a step, etc....animals aren't targets.

--------------------

Bowhunter4life
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 518

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bowhunter4life   Email Bowhunter4life   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
40 yards is "doable" with trad gear. Myself and the way I set up my bows my point on is right at 40 yards, makes it nice to "hang" with my compound shooting friends, but I wouldn't shoot at a critter at that distance.

As far as 100 yard shots at NM Mule deer, not necessary if you actually do some hunting and get close.

23 yard shot with a 50 yard recovery, steep quartering away shot in his right side behind the ribs and out just behind his left shoulder...

-

--------------------
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Posts: 5264 | From: Georgia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Nice job! Nothing like a clean kill. Yep, I believe that the folks who claim they "need" to take long shots at game are just making an excuse for lack of stalking skills.

--------------------

JEFF B
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7842

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JEFF B   Email JEFF B   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi guys over here we shoot from 5 to 50 yards
and every now and then do a round of ifaa to bring your self back on form. it sorts the men from the boys. but hey it is good fun. and when i go hunting i dont shoot anyting over 25 yards.like a mate of mine who shoots a compound shoots game at 60 to 70 yards. then turns to me and says why do you stalk the deer to within 25 yards. and i just say you just said it stalk. it is all about skill and fun. [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Posts: 9466 | From: Baylys Beach New Zealand | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JasonV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JasonV   Email JasonV   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the concept: longer distance: greater time from release to impact: more time for the animal to move.... but deer jump the string, the wind blows, unseen underbrush deflects the arrow. Any number of factors can cause even a "slam dunk" shot to go south. I guess I'm just overly sensitive to the word "unethical" - if I could make a 100 yard shot reliably, I'd do it in the right situation... I can't, and don't... but I wouldn't fault anyone else for it. I agree, "getting close" is part of the challenge - and the reward - but I don't see distance in and of itself dictating ethics.

Sorry, I really am not trying to be a putz - and hope not to offend - just clarifying....

--------------------

Posts: 1396 | From: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Jason - I have a hard time declaring "ethics violation" on another mans actions. Ethics are personal. The adage of ethics being defined by your actions when nobody is around makes sense to me.

However, a few things are pretty plain to me. And taking a shot that has more risk that probability of success is plainly unethical. No, the measurement of 100 yards is not unethical. It's all of the things that can happen to an arrow in that 100 yards that make shooting at big game at that distance unethical.

Which brings me to the other 1/2 of personal ethics, not limited to the game fields...if I see another person, behaving in a manner that should be corrected, I have no problem giving them my opinion on the matter. Why? Well in this case, the probability of 100 yard shots producing wounded deer is pretty high. And wounded deer running around with arrows sticking out of their rumps makes you and I, as bowhunters, look bad. Therefore we have a right..and I believe a responsibility...to ask others to consider the ethics of such a shot.

There have been many threads deriding the "Ethics Police". For the most part, I agree. We should mind our own business. But not always.

--------------------

dgf41
Member # 8527

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dgf41   Email dgf41   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love shooting the longer distances. I have shot 3-D shoots from compound stakes and done well most trad stakes are a little close for practicle shooting. Hard to get ten to twelve yards from a groundhog or turkey. There are few better sights then hitting the kill zone on a target 30 plus yards consitently

--------------------
The Meaning Of Life Is To Live

Posts: 46 | From: Van leer TN | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JasonV
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3210

My dad shared a camp with 4 compound hunters his last trip for mulies. They were hunting pronghorn (the reservation had been alotted 6 permits for the year, so they booked 6 to bowhunters and 6 to gun hunters - since they knew the shots were 75+yds at best and they "knew" the bowhunters would strike out [Roll Eyes] ) - these guys routinely practiced for those shots, they ranged all of their shots and had sight pins set up for those distances, and were extremely accurate - they worked hard to be sure that they stayed accurate.... they went 4 for 4 - all clean shots and quick recovery..

I know that's just anecdotal - but I just can't see calling those guys - who worked very hard to become/stay as proficient as they were, and who obviously chose their shots carefully - "unethical".
We can debate their equipment choice, but I can't see questioning their "ethics" just because of the distance - they were probably more effective at those ranges than many guys are at 20+ yards.....

Don't mean to stir the pot too much - I'm probably just overly-sensitive about questioning another hunter's "ethics"....

But I also agree wholeheartedly: if you think its wrong its your duty to speak up and say so...

--------------------

Roger Norris
SPONSOR
Member # 601

Why couldn't they get closer than 75 yards?

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©