Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

Click for the CLASSIFIEDS RULES

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Topic Archives » Shooting » Snap shooting vs anchor point (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Snap shooting vs anchor point
venisonburger
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venisonburger   Email venisonburger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found by accident that if I draw and release with a floating anchor that my accuracy increases, when I anchor at the corner of my mouth my consistency decreases noticably. Why would this be? you would think that a set point each time would ensure more consistent results right?
What is the opinion out there and what do you use?
VB

--------------------
I'm not a woodworker, I don't know why God chose me to make bows.

Posts: 185 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peachey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 6107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peachey   Email Peachey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am exactly the opposite. If I hold at anchor 2 or 3 seconds I shoot much better.
Posts: 504 | From: Shawsville, Va. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By floating you mean.....?

If your anchor is inconsistent, your accuracy should be too.

Just curious, when coming to full anchor (corner of mouth), are you straining at all?

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vermonster13
SPONSOR
Member # 8675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vermonster13   Email vermonster13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know where Tom is headed and I think he may be right. Being able to draw a certain weight bow isn't the same as being able to shoot it. Sounds like you may be a little overbowed if you're getting those results.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Posts: 21856 | From: Rutland, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gordonf
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gordonf   Email gordonf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I firmly believe that one should be able to acheive the same result no matter how long the hold (within reason, of course). If you cannot, then you are not in full control of your shot IMO.
Posts: 898 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kawika b
Contributor 2016
Member # 8024

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kawika b   Email kawika b   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey dave,,,you should start the "mistakes" thread here bro. many things overlooked.

--------------------
Nana ka maka;
ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes;
listen with the ears;
shut the mouth.

Thus one learns>>>------>TGMM Family of the Bow

Posts: 2388 | From: maui | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tom Leemans
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Leemans   Email Tom Leemans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly verm. Maybe short drawing the bow is easier on his bow arm.

--------------------
Got wood? - Tom

Posts: 4847 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vermonster13
SPONSOR
Member # 8675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vermonster13   Email vermonster13   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without actually seeing him shoot, that would be my guess. He hits his comfort point and lets go, that would be the moment before he passes into where he begins to lose control. snap shooting should still be from full draw with a solid form, just done quickly.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

http://www.blackswanarchery.com/

Posts: 21856 | From: Rutland, Vermont | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sar
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 7259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sar   Email sar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The longer I hold, the better I shoot. Don't know why it is. Mebbe I got slow instinct! I'm not trying to "aim" or line up the arrow.

I'm no compound shooter, but I think I might've held my bob lee for upwards of 20 seconds before letting go on some difficult 3d shots. Drawing to 57 or 58# is ok with that, but I can't hold as long when I have my 70's on-I'm good for 10 seconds I'd guess.

The guy who's helped me out with my shooting a lot is responsible for my moving away from snap shooting. If I get tired or lazy and start to snap, my accuracy immediately drops.

Posts: 876 | From: East Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabbitman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rabbitman   Email rabbitman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving this thread to the shooter's forum
Posts: 2447 | From: Mabank, Texas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampbuck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampbuck   Email swampbuck       Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys the first thing that popped in my head was over bow'd LOL I shoot better when I slow up a bit allowing the sight picture to settle as I pull thru the anchor.

Your anchor is basically your rear sight...if it floats.....

--------------------
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Posts: 3101 | From: Byron NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justin snyder
Member # 9713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justin snyder   Email justin snyder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats funny, I read the post about anchoring and pulling through and the first thing that popped into my head was "your pulling through when you dont stop to anchor, but when you stop you just let go" That was my problem for a couple years. I watched a bunch of movies and read everything I could find before I figured it out why I was shooting OK but never great. Justin
Posts: 30 | From: Southern Utah | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
venisonburger
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for venisonburger   Email venisonburger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess when I say floating, I mean I don't come to a point where my finger is in the corner of my mouth or any other specific point, it seems like I am able to site through the arrow and find it going where I am looking. I think the other way I was shooting was more instinctive and I looked at what I wanted to hit and not the arrow itself. Does this make any sense at all? As far as being overbowed, maybe, I have had shoulder problems for some time and have alot of pain with them. I don't know that I want to continue this type of shooting, but it seemed strange that my groups tightened alot. the closest thing I could compare it to is like an indian draw on a short bow, pulling towards your body and sighting down the arrow and releasing before you get to your face. VB

--------------------
I'm not a woodworker, I don't know why God chose me to make bows.

Posts: 185 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MBurns
Member # 8149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MBurns   Email MBurns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark I shoot the same way. I tried a solid anchor and for the life of me can't achieve the accuracy I want. I shoot in the set arm method and slowly draw till my drawing hand is past my eye and then release. It works and works very well for me. At 46# draw weight I'm not overbowed. I do however practice by drawing and holding for a few seconds on target and then let down to retain muscle memory for my release. Hey it works fer me.
Posts: 46 | From: LackawannaCountyPa | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Vought
Contributor 2015
Member # 393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Vought   Email Ron Vought   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I draw the bow slowly and just touch the corner of my mouth for a split second with my middle finger. Been doing this for years and seems to work. When I try to hold anchor for any length of time my accuracy suffers and it just doesn't feel comfortable to me. The "touch and go" type of shooting could cause you to not hit anchor everytime. I find myself every now and again floating my anchor (snap shooting) as well but most time I am consistently touching the corner of my mouth.

Ron

Posts: 1167 | From: South East, PA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©