Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor
Visit the Sponsor Classifieds
Kustom King Traditional Archery

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com   
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Trad Gang Highlights » Highlights 2005 » ***Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2005*** (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  32  33  34   
Author Topic: ***Daily Hunt Pics and Stories 2005***
Steve Humphrey
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Steve Humphrey   Email Steve Humphrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our deer season closed yesterday (Sunday) so I went out to try and fill my doe tag. The only critters I saw were a rabbit and a skweerl, no shot at either one, But I did find sign there is still a buck in the area.  -

The woods were very peaceful,  -

The remnants of last weeks 33" of snow and the days 60 degree temp gave the feeling of walking through the clouds along the stream.  -

Walking my little piece of heaven, Steve.

--------------------
We have made a start in discovering the meaning of human life when we plant shade trees under which we know full well we will never sit. - D. Elton Trueblood

Posts: 187 | From: Indiana | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bear
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2616

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bear   Email Bear   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MAN!!!! I can just FEEL the mojo comin' out of those pictures. Those are awsome pictures. Thats my kind of spot.

--------------------
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Posts: 1634 | From: EAST Tennessee | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bayoulongbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 78

Icon 14 posted      Profile for bayoulongbowman   Email bayoulongbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see the Ghost of Armstrong Creek ...can anyone else...mark#78 [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had better be right!"

Posts: 12162 | From: Baton Rouge , La. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tree Killer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tree Killer   Email Tree Killer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't out hunting these sheep with a bow, I was armed only with my cameras. These are the California subspecie of bighorn sheep. They don't get quite as large in body and horn as the Rocky Mountain subspecie. Oregon has both the California and Rocky Mtn. bighorns. Ron

-

--------------------
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Posts: 1225 | From: Sandy, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Wesbrock
Charter
Member # 367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason R. Wesbrock   Email Jason R. Wesbrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On New Year's Day, two friends of mine--Dave and Jim--and I headed up to Dave's property in Central Wisconsin for the last weekend of deer season. About the time we hit Madison we got into freezing rain. Deer camp was another 80 miles away. By morning we'd have over 1/2" of fresh ice covering everything in sight.

Once we arrived at Dave's place, we quickly unloaded gear, suited up, and headed out to our respective stand locations. Jim and Dave were hunting opposite ends of a 40-acre woodlot, and I elected to sit a field edge on an 80-acre tract a little further west. Dave only saw one deer that evening, but Jim stopped counting around 50. Unfortunately, a shot never came together for him, but the look on his face made it clear he'd had a great evening. That's why I like these guys, they don't have to kill something to have a sucessful hunt. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself...

The freezing rain persisted, and wasn't due to stop until about 4 am, so I put some rain gear over my wool and got into my stand for the evening. Earlier in the season, the field I was hunting by served as a reliable food source for deer. But now it looked like an ill-kept ice skating rink. I would have gotten down and moved elsewhere, but with the east wind there was no where else to go, except back to the house, which sounded like a great idea.

I usually sit on stand with an arrow nocked and my bow across my lap, but with the freezing rain I had to hang it under a pine bough. Otherwise, I'd have to keep rubbing the ice off my arrow every ten minutes or so.

I only saw one deer while hunting that evening, and when he offered his chest at 14 yards I sent an arrow through both lungs and his heart. He went about 30 yards, stopped, stood for a few seconds, and fell over. He never knew what happened, except that something hit the ground by him--the arrow after it passed through his chest.

-

L to R: Dave Shumway, Jim Gellner, and myself.

Posts: 3752 | From: Northeast Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuperKodiak38
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperKodiak38   Email SuperKodiak38   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great story, great buck! Looks like the new year is off to a great start. At the risk of repeating myself GREAT!

--------------------
"Go afield with a good attitude, respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience.It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person."

Fred Bear

Posts: 1641 | From: Calvert County Maryland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Huntrdfk
Contributor 2014
Member # 938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Huntrdfk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All these great photos and now Jason's story and photo, that's why I love this thread so much. Great photos, and great job Jason. Looks like the house wasn't such a great idea afterall.

David

--------------------
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Associate Member

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Posts: 4444 | From: Somersworth, NH | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rich Baker
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rich Baker   Email Rich Baker       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Killer:
I wasn't out hunting these sheep with a bow, I was armed only with my cameras. These are the California subspecie of bighorn sheep. They don't get quite as large in body and horn as the Rocky Mountain subspecie. Oregon has both the California and Rocky Mtn. bighorns. Ron

-

Ron, did you see those along 84 I saw a group there the other day
Posts: 579 | From: Troutdale Oregon | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post 
Way to start the year off Jason!!! [thumbsup]

--------------------
Mr Terry.....will you turn on the crickets for me - Cade Cabrera

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 26047 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bayoulongbowman
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bayoulongbowman   Email bayoulongbowman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man if you dont like this thread I feel sorry for you this is so cool...way to go guys!!! [Big Grin] [thumbsup] [wavey]

--------------------
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had better be right!"

Posts: 12162 | From: Baton Rouge , La. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaun
SPONSOR
Member # 2320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shaun   Email Shaun   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jason,
Like the Dodge commercials... SWEET.
I felt like I was there, great work and good story w/ picture. Thanks for sharing.

--------------------
www.taurusbows.com

Posts: 5071 | From: Iowa City,IA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Ferret
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Ferret   Author's Homepage   Email the Ferret   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Love these threads but being on dial up the pics take for-ev-er to load. When I have the patience to wait the pics are worth it.. All dandies.

Nice buck Jason. Didn't know they had deeer like that in Wisc. Love the smile [bigsmyl]

--------------------
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Posts: 12891 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tree Killer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tree Killer   Email Tree Killer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck of a buck Jason! [thumbsup]

Can't believe you guys are still hunting deer back there! Won't they be dropping their antlers in a couple weeks?

TK

--------------------
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Posts: 1225 | From: Sandy, Oregon | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Wesbrock
Charter
Member # 367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason R. Wesbrock   Email Jason R. Wesbrock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

It's funny how some of our best days afield happen when we'd like to be anywhere else.

-------------------------------------

Mickey,

Yeah, I should tone down that smile a bit next time. It's getting rediculous. [Big Grin]

-------------------------------------

TK,

Archery deer season in Illinois runs through this weekend, but I'll probably spend my time losing squirrel arrows in an oak thicket somewhere.

Posts: 3752 | From: Northeast Illinois | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warren H. Womack
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Warren H. Womack   Author's Homepage   Email Warren H. Womack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another hunt behind me and more pictures to share. This hunt was at Bayou Cocodrie NWR, La.

There was lots and lots of water, in the form of sloughs and breaks.

-

-

-

Besides all the water, there was also wall to wall, head high Palmetto.

-

I found a few scrapes.

-

And, I found a few rubs.

-

Saw plenty of Armadillos.

-

But I didn't see any deer. Maybe the 75 degree weather had something to do with it.

I did see a great Sunset, this evening.

-

Warren

--------------------
>>>==Warren==>>>

Posts: 852 | From: Clinton, LA. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 34 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  32  33  34   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©