Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Arrow woods/Spine and 1970's arrow charts (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Arrow woods/Spine and 1970's arrow charts
Terry Green
ADMIN
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Terry Green   Author's Homepage   Email Terry Green       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting.....thanks.

--------------------
Woolshire Carpet Mills, Inc.

"It's important, when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Posts: 29586 | From: GAWGIA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbscott
Member # 21185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbscott     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Should you recheck your spine weights if you ordered them according to what you need? I ordered pre-spined and pre tapered shafts but did not double check them when I recieved them.
Posts: 9 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mstk
Member # 22278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mstk   Email mstk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

Can someone explain and express the units?

I can use these data very well but its not clear enough.

Posts: 1 | From: Turkiye | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divecon10
Contributor 2011
Member # 14201

Icon 1 posted      Profile for divecon10   Email divecon10   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really interesting stuff Don, Wish I knew more about our sticks, there r some really hard ones and I wonder if anyone has done a similar comparison.

--------------------
divecon

Posts: 317 | From: Cairns, Australia | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Stokes
Contributor 2010
Member # 16802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Stokes   Email Don Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Divecon, there is some similar information that I've run across in old literature, published under the title "Archery, the Technical Side" if I remember correctly. I have a copy around here somewhere...

I looked hard at a wood from down under that seemed to have excellent properties, but the export to the US was just too much to handle with any economy. Can't remember what it was called, unfortunately. It was something that Dan Quillian came up with. I know there's bound to be some good stuff down there. If you have a government funded department like our USDA Forest Products Laboratory, that would be a good place to look for info.

mstk, it's hard to explain any better than I tried to do earlier in this thread. That's why I developed the spine rating number, to try to simplify the technical jargon.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Posts: 2602 | From: New Albany, MS | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiskeyTango
Member # 22335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiskeyTango   Email WhiskeyTango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, I just purchased a 90lb @28" Dwyer Dauntless and could use some help with arrow selection. What does every one think about carbon vs wood? I have a 50lb self bow, 65lb martin hunter, and a few compounds but nothing this heavy and i have never used carbons in anything but my compounds. Thanks

--------------------
62" Dwyer Dauntless 90# @28"
62" Martin Hunter 65# @28"
60" Self Bow 50# @29"

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Stokes
Contributor 2010
Member # 16802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Stokes   Email Don Stokes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whiskey, you'll have great difficulty finding wood strong enough. You might try starting a new thread on the subject, because your question will get lost here.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Posts: 2602 | From: New Albany, MS | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiskeyTango
Member # 22335

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiskeyTango   Email WhiskeyTango   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, Thanks for the advice. I'm new to the online stuff and honestly don't even know how to start a thread... >< Sorry if the question is out of place.

--------------------
62" Dwyer Dauntless 90# @28"
62" Martin Hunter 65# @28"
60" Self Bow 50# @29"

Posts: 20 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Stokes
Contributor 2010
Member # 16802

No problem, Whiskey. Just go to the top or bottom of this page and click on the button to start a new topic. There are plenty of folks here who will be glad to help. There's a similar button for each of the topic areas.

We all gotta start somewhere!

--------------------

riivioristo
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riivioristo   Email riivioristo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing !

Just dropped a question to powwow about the difference between spruce and douglas fir, and here kinda is the answer ! This site is a goldmine! Does anyone have experience about spruce and douglas fir arrows, pros and cons? I would like to make douglas fir arrows, but the shafts/wood here in Finland is hard to get item, but spruce is common. So should I just settle with spruce and kinda think I carry fir arrows [Wink]

--------------------
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Posts: 184 | From: Finland, Europe | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jerry hill
Member # 22997

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jerry hill   Email jerry hill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, email me, as I have a question and want your input and thoughts on yellow populare shafts. Jerry Hill.........

jhilllongbow@aol.com

Posts: 78 | From: Alabama | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
red hill
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for red hill   Email red hill   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting and helpful, Don.
Stan

Posts: 2038 | From: El Dorado, Arkansas | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Stokes
Contributor 2010
Member # 16802

Riivioristo, you should be able to find Norway (Scotch) pine in your area. It was a favored wood of European archers, and called "red deal" in the old literature.

Jerry, I just sent you an e-mail message.

--------------------

Randal Blanchette
Member # 24273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Randal Blanchette   Email Randal Blanchette   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great quick ref chart. I am sure you could go into all sort of length to get virtually every wood known to mankind, but the ones covered are the woods generally available most places. Cool, thanks.
Posts: 7 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlindSquirrelFindsNut
Member # 26415

Icon 14 posted      Profile for BlindSquirrelFindsNut   Email BlindSquirrelFindsNut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Don,

I've been looking all over for the Easton 75 charts showing the 2115's.

BSFN

--------------------
Work. The evil we must endure to fish and hunt.

BSFN

Posts: 8 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2016 ~ Trad Gang.com ©