Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » What is the one single thing that has helped your shooting? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: What is the one single thing that has helped your shooting?
chuckbow
Contributor 2015
Member # 19950

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chuckbow   Email chuckbow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 anchor points for me!

--------------------
2010 ASA
TRADITIONAL
WORLD CHAMP

Posts: 1087 | From: albertville alabama,35951 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokin joe
Contributor 2015
Member # 15756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokin joe   Email smokin joe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Green. There is a lot of great information about shooting here on TradGang.

--------------------
TGMM

Posts: 1472 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
last arrow
Contributor 2014
Member # 7746

Icon 1 posted      Profile for last arrow   Email last arrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What McDave said. I still need help on knowing what went wrong with the shot. I would like to see more posts on how to do that.

--------------------
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" T. Roosevelt

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Posts: 548 | From: West Olive, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gringol
Contributor 2014
Member # 34789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gringol   Email gringol   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pumatrax:
glasses

HA! They do help, don't they!
Posts: 1610 | From: Tampa, FL | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Forrest Halley
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 34931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Forrest Halley   Email Forrest Halley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shooting with crazy accurate world class compound shooters has brought my form, focus and endurance @ 100# go through the roof. My accuracy has improved and I have a cheering/jeering squad that celebrates my tight groups and gives me a ration for bad shots. It's a crazy pace to keep up with, but I like my progress curve.

--------------------
"Great strength is not necessary to shoot a heavy bow, it is but a byproduct of the dedication required."

Posts: 264 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Encino Man
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Encino Man   Email Encino Man   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Developing the muscles to handle a bow comfortably and dropping my bow weight by 10 lbs.

--------------------
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Posts: 192 | From: Dallas, Texas | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
archeryprof
Contributor 2012
Member # 2012

Icon 1 posted      Profile for archeryprof   Email archeryprof       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PRACTICING WITH ONLY ONE WELL TUNED ARROW.
Posts: 50 | From: Burnet,Texas | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmilinovich
Member # 16481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmilinovich   Email mmilinovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The single biggest item that contributed to my shooting improvement? That's easy: A COMMITMENT TO EXPERIMENTATION.

Archers come in all sizes, shapes, ages, degrees of physical conditioning, levels of hand/eye coordination, etc., etc.

What works for one person (or many) will not work for others.

EXPERIMENT . . .

Try split finger, 3-under, 2-under, etc.

Try anchoring all over your face: on an eye tooth, under your cheekbone, under your eye, etc. The only real requirement is that your anchor be reproducible every time.

While avoiding a death-grip on your bow, experiment with everything right down to a "shaking hands with a baby" grip.

Try bows with a high-wrist, medium-wrist, low-wrist, and extra low-wrist grips.

Experiment with a pull-through release and with what's commonly called a "dead release."

Try recurves of varying lengths, draw-weights, and design. Same for longbows.

Play with wood, aluminum, and carbon arrows. Vary their weight and maybe even their length.

Ask other archers for advice but don't commit to something because it works for them. It's what works for YOU that counts!

This all takes time, lots of it. But that's part of the fun of archery.

Mark

Posts: 48 | From: South Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeW
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeW   Author's Homepage   Email MikeW       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably drilling into my head "Aim small, Miss small" and then really focusing on that or putting it into practice when I shoot.

--------------------
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Posts: 1823 | From: Escondido,CA. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan Adair
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 4922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dan Adair   Email Dan Adair   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knowing when its time to quit....

Seroiusly. Once you're butthurt and just poking and hoping, you're just learning bad habits that take years to break.

I shoot my Schafer daily in my singlewide. Maybe a dozen arrows at a time... But I do that 2 dozen times a day.

Posts: 460 | From: Flathead County, Montana | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
paul87250
Member # 34751

Icon 1 posted      Profile for paul87250   Email paul87250   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hookster:
Tradgang shooters forum, Terry"s clock and Moebow's videos.

X2

Also Jay kidwell's "Instinctive Archery Insights"

--------------------
Hoyt Dorado 55#@28"

Posts: 72 | From: Haute Vienne, France | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Del Savio
Member # 22728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Del Savio   Email Del Savio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Shooter's Forum and special thanks to T.Green and Moeboe. After years of pretty clueless shooting, finding this site resulted in immediate improvement for me.
Posts: 50 | From: New York | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beendare
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13805

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beendare   Email beendare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just giving it another go with trad equip. here but best resource BY FAR is this site and the search function

--------------------
Morrison ILF

What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
Edward Langley

Posts: 209 | From: Alamo,Ca | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rustic
Contributor 2012
Member # 35061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rustic   Email Rustic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Establishing my anchor point.

--------------------
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Posts: 604 | From: Holly, Michigan | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mon Valley
Contributor 2015
Member # 17926

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mon Valley   Email Mon Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me it is paying attention to Pierre and J.P.
Posts: 137 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©