Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE 2014 ST JUDE AUCTION BIDDING!

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink>
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Hill Frustration Questions (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hill Frustration Questions
Scrub_buck
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 17795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scrub_buck   Email Scrub_buck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"still heel the handle with a low wrist grip, but I slightly cock the lower portion of my hand away from the handle which causes my thumb knuckle to be slightly higher than my index finger knuckle."

That should have been thumb knuckle LOWER than my index finger knuckle.

Posts: 381 | From: Wetumpka, Alabama | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chain2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chain2   Email Chain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back in from shooting. Still snowing and blowing. I am seeing some improvement, slow but sure. Thanks Guys

--------------------
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Posts: 358 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killinstuff
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 13670

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killinstuff   Email killinstuff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are you shooting at 30 yards? Pretty hard to pick a spot at 30. Try 10 or 15 yards and when you're hitting a baseball size spot all the time then work on a longer shot

--------------------
lll

Posts: 1239 | From: Traverse City Michigan | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chain2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chain2   Email Chain2   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was shooting my recurve at 30 yds. , I have been shooting closer with the Hill.

--------------------

Posts: 358 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arrow flynn
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 3903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arrow flynn   Email arrow flynn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
imho trad archery is a steep learnng curve for many of us.myself included .get a good coach .its like any sport tennis golf etc we all need help at some point or we continoue to practice our mistakes.

--------------------
Arrow_Flynn

Posts: 535 | From: CA - Humboldt County | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chain2
Contributor 2014
Member # 35093

I am presently looking for someone local. Until then you guys are my coaches. Thank you

--------------------

Kevin Hansen
Contributor 2015
Member # 35583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Hansen   Email Kevin Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonheart:
There is a whole thread dedicated to shooting Hill style bows. Rob set up a search option so you can go through the thread more quickly. Getting the mechanics of form ingrained is the important first step. It sounds like getting close to a bale and shooting only for form might help you.

[dunno]
I've tried finding that thread, but haven't had any luck. Would you be so kind as to direct me to it?
Thanks.

Posts: 416 | From: SD | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2014
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hill "bug" thread it has more post on it than any other thread on tradgang.

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 3787 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2014
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=098600

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 3787 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swampthing
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18442

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swampthing   Email swampthing   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hitting'em like Howard hill DVD Money well spent.
Grab bow, draw it to corner of mouth, point fingers at target. repeat. Eventually your brain will make the necessary corrections.
Smile, while you do it, a little positivity goes a long way.

Posts: 1032 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Hansen
Contributor 2015
Member # 35583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Hansen   Email Kevin Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the direction!
Posts: 416 | From: SD | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momo
Member # 22744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momo   Email momo       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have you ever tried a tap most of the better shooter shot tabs again most not all glove to me seem to bunch up sometimes and heavy spine arrows do fly left. weak right for a right hand shooter but also if you just started shooting 3 moth ago there alot to learn and only change one thing at a time long bows i always use plam and full hand. recure i try to use high wrist to just get arch of thumb and pointer fingerin deep not palm

--------------------
vern thompson

Posts: 32 | From: OH | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2014
Member # 1953

quote:
Originally posted by swampthing:
Hitting'em like Howard hill DVD Money well spent.
Grab bow, draw it to corner of mouth, point fingers at target. repeat. Eventually your brain will make the necessary corrections.
Smile, while you do it, a little positivity goes a long way.

John Schulz gives you the foundation of the style of shooting. The DVD and book together give the best insight. Watch it over and over and you will pick up on subtle insights. Counting: One, two, three, four through the shot process, he mentions as a mantra. he stated that Howard Hill would make him do when learning the form.

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Gil Verwey
Contributor 2014
Member # 9674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gil Verwey   Email Gil Verwey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Wesley also has a good book and DVD. You can get them from Howard Hill Archery. Bob starightened me out.

Good luck
Gil

--------------------
TGMM Family of the bow.

Posts: 3076 | From: NewJersey | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2014
Member # 1953

quote:
Originally posted by Gil Verwey:
Bob Wesley also has a good book and DVD. You can get them from Howard Hill Archery. Bob starightened me out.

Good luck
Gil

[thumbsup]

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply <blink><font color=yellow>PLEASE DO NOT POST IMAGES WIDER THAN 640!</font></blink> Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2014 ~ Trad Gang.com ©