Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Target Panic Reality Check (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Target Panic Reality Check
CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLICKERMAN   Email CLICKERMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All, [banghead]

I just got done with another 3-D shoot this weekend and I have come to some realizations that I need to spout off about, so please bare with me. I really hate to see people shoot with target panic. I myself shot with it for years, and since I have beaten it, totally and completely, I try to share that knowledge with everyone. Usually through one on one coaching, but I also filmed Masters of the Barebow 4 with Denny Sturgis Jr. and explained my system of mental mechanics to the viewers. I see that every time someone posts something on any of the sites about target panic, there are lots of folks out there that have beaten target panic or at least kept it at bay by using some technique of philosophy. What I want people to realize, is that, if you really analyze the cures that have worked for people, they are almost always rooted in changing what the shooter is thinking about during the shot.

Take for example blank bale shooting. What is the archer really doing during this type of practice? With blank bale shooting, the archer is able to concentrate on single aspects of the shot. Therefore, the archer is using the conscious mind to execute the shot and has shut off the subconscious gremlin that is always trying to shortcut the system. If you don't have to aim, you are more free to "Concentrate" on single aspects. Remember that aiming is a totally subconscious phenomenon. Your subconscious is really good at aiming, but it is also really good at learning shortcuts to realize its ultimate goal of getting the tension of the bowstring off of the body.

Anytime the archer changes what they are thinking about during the shot, there is a change in the mental system and a "Temporary" cure for target panic. It is temporary because the archer may not know how to actually concentrate and once the subconscious learns how to shortcut the fix, the archer is right back where they started. We have to remember that we are fighting a natural system, a perfect system, that is hard wired in us from birth. Why do you think so many people suffer from target panic?

Think about those archers that try a clicker. A clicker gives the archer something other than aiming to think about. The problem is, the archer thinks about the clicker instead of the pulling that makes it click. Many archers use a clicker for training and then try to take it off for tournaments or hunting. The shot with the clicker gives the archer a "GO" signal to release, the no-clicker shot allows the subconscious to tell the archer when to release, enter the subconscious gremlin. The subconscious will start the learning process and before long, the short draws or locking off target return to the shot.

All this being said, the solution to the problem is knowing what to concentrate on during the shot, and more importantly, knowing "How" to concentrate under stress. After all, the stress shot is the one that we are all striving for, be it a huge bull elk, or a shoot off in front of a crowd. If you know what to concentrate on, and how to concentrate, your shot is the same every single time. It is the same because your mind is in the same state, shot after shot. Your form has been drilled into your subconscious. It knows your stance, grip, sight picture, breathing, and string grip. It hates to have the body in tension and it will relieve that tension at its earliest convenience unless you give the shot activation to the conscious mind. Ultimately, the archer must learn to separate the shot between subconscious aiming, and conscious shot activation.

Once the archer is able to do this, its takes immense discipline to maintain the shot. The archer has to make a choice, and it is a very difficult one for the mind to make because it is against the natural system. The archer must make the decision to only shoot the shot if it is going to be perfect. The archer must be so in tune to what is going on in their head during a shot, that they can stop a bad shot before it happens. They will realize if they are thinking about the wrong things and have the ability to get their conscious mind on the proper thing that will allow the shot to be perfect. That proper thing, in my opinion, is shot activation. Your shot activation might be pulling to a clicker or feather to nose, or pressing through a tab sear (My invention). If your mind is on aiming, or some other portion of your form, the subconsious is left to its own devices, and the gremlin will get rid of that string whenever it wants to.

I am finding that many archers do not have this discipline, but I think that is only because they do not understand the science behind target panic. So before we go out and try another "Cure" for target panic, let's learn the science behind the monster. It is explained in Masters of the Barebow 4. Once again, I do not make any money from that dvd. The dvd has explanations in it that you will not find anywhere else.

Once you understand the mental mechanics of archery, you may be able to find your own cure to your particular target panic. You will probably have questions about the system and I welcome them. I am offering my cell number for people to call because we have to stop the insanity that is target panic. Feel free to call me at 253-686-3623. I have been able to explain every form of target panic that I have encountered so far because the roots are all the same. I can guarantee everything that I tell you will make sense and your target panic will be a thing of the past. But you have to make the choice to fight your way through every shot. Make the choice of perfection.

[knothead] Thanks for reading,

Joel Turner
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Posts: 140 | From: Eatonville WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moebow
Contributor 2017
Member # 19141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moebow   Email moebow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel,

OUTSTANDING post AND OFFER!!!!!!!!!

Folks, listen to the man and take him up on his offer if you need too. Try the "conscious shot process and subconscious aiming". It takes discipline and desire to learn but IT WORKS!!!

Arne

--------------------
11 H Hill bows
3 David Miller bows
4 James Berry bows
USA Archery, Level 4 NTS Coach

Are you willing to give up what you are; to become what you could be?

Posts: 2354 | From: Grand Rapids, Minnesota | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avid Archer
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 18929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avid Archer   Email Avid Archer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup]
Posts: 1151 | From: Alvaton, Georgia | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel,
Thanks for this post. I have had target panic for the last 15 years. Last august I bought the MBB series including 4 after a bad round on a 3d course with a friend. I was already using Dr. Kidwell's drills from his book and went to work using your shot activation process. I can honestly say it has made the biggest difference in my shooting of anything I have tried in the last fifteen years. Distance seems to be a trigger for me. The tp really flares up when I shoot at 20 yards or farther. I was quickly shooting with control at 35 in my backyard. I thought I had it licked until I started shooting an in-door 3d league this year. My first time shooting a league. My shooting fell apart. After reading your post I went back and watched MBB4 again today and sure enough I was thinking about and anticipating the feather (psychotrigger) and not thinking about pulling. In my shooting today I was able to get it back under control. My last arrow was a bullseye at 28 yards. Sometimes I do release before the psychotrigger. Is this detrimental or is it ok if that occasionally happens? I am eager to try this approach at the league shoot this week.
Thanks,
Gary

Posts: 735 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.S.
SPONSOR
Member # 9316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for A.S.   Email A.S.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great stuff Joel! I have watched your segment on MBB IV many times. I have been a clicker user for 20 years now, and thought I would never get rid of it.

I have to say that your system is the only thing I have seen that sounds "doable" for me! I am planning on giving it a go as soon as I can get someone to help me with my feather location.

Thanks again for some great info. I may program your # into my phone just in case! [jumper]

Allen

--------------------
http://www.tenringstrings.com

custom flemish twist bowstrings

Posts: 4195 | From: Ruckersville, Va | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLICKERMAN   Email CLICKERMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flingblade,

If you are letting go before the feather, you are still thinking about the feather!!!! You need to really analyze what you are thinking about during the shot. Especially those shots that do not go as planned. When you are in tune with what is going through your head, you are well on your way to controlling your thoughts and concentration. If you let go before the feather, you are reinforcing the natural habit of getting rid of the bowstring too early. Your goal is to be able to realize the thoughts in your head are not where they should be and LET DOWN!!!!!!! Do not shoot bad arrows!!!!!! You are in a mental battle everytime you shoot your bow. You are fighting the subconscious gremlin that wants to get rid of the tension in the body. The mantra, "Keep Pulling, Keep Pulling, Keep Pulling..." is your weapon against the gremlin.

If you shoot a bad shot, ask yourself these two questions: What was I thinking about during that shot? Was I saying the mantra? Your honest answers will get you back on track. The mantra will trap the conscious mind in the muscle group that your are activating, but it only works if you SAY IT!!!! Only shoot the shot if it is going to be perfect, not perfect in result, but perfect in concentration. When you go to the range, if you want to get better, don't practice just shooting, practice concentration. Practice getting your mind right during your shot. It is not, how well did I shoot today, it is, how well did I concentrate today???? If you concentrated well, your shots will fall in the middle.

Please keep the questions coming,

Joel Turner

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Posts: 140 | From: Eatonville WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yohon
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yohon   Email Yohon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As good as your segment on MBB4 was your phones gonna be busy LOL!!! I'd like to learn more about this "tab sear" if I could [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Posts: 1280 | From: Maryland | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Yohon,

PM or call me for an explanation of the Tab Sear, and yes, the phone has been busy!!!! Keep the questions coming everyone.

JT

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

tj69
Contributor 2013
Member # 19279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tj69   Email tj69   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a lot for that thread Mr. Clickerman!
Your first post is like a description of my problems.
When shooting with clicker, everything is fine.
Without clicker the gremlins are back after a while.
So I have a lot of work to do. I´ll get that DVD soon.

--------------------
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Posts: 235 | From: Black Forest / Germany | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2017
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel,

Thank you so much for sharing the information and for helping me to identify the metal script for my shot activation.

Jeff

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4312 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim Casto Jr
Contributor 2014
Member # 3606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Casto Jr   Email Jim Casto Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have worked hard for nearly two years following the Cadinale/Jenkins method of building a shot sequence. I’m doing great too—almost there. The theory is (or so I thought) to get the form down until “it” becomes a subconscious act, with the conscious mind immersing, or completely engulfed in aiming.

Your method seems to be the polar opposite—subconscious aiming with the conscious mind dedicated to form.

So…. my question is, how do you aim at the subconscious level?

--------------------
"Archery is really very simple. You just have to do the exact same thing on every shot."
Bill Leslie, July 22, 2017

"Form is everything." Al Cole

Posts: 1196 | From: WV | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2017
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel can explain it, but when he told me about it last night on the phone, I had the same reaction. This is the opposite of what I have been told.

It is flip from the current philosophy that aiming is a highly conscious act and the subconsious controls the mechanics of the shot.

The idea is to give you something in your thoughts that leads you to a surprise/unconsious shot execution and a mental focus on those thoughts everytime for every shot.

Joel I am sure will be along to explain. It is interesting.

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4312 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Q
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Q   Email Ed Q   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the excellent post. I saw your segment on MBB IV, which was also excellent by the way, and your post adds a complementary addition to it that explains the concept even better.

I've been struggling with TP for awhile myself, able to keep it in check from time to time during backyard practice, but I fell apart towards the end of a 3D shoot session this past weekend and my poor score sure reflected it.

Anyway, I switched to LH shooting a few months ago when I injured my right hand. My hand is fine now, but I've kept up with LH shooting just for fun and noticed I have no TP shooting lefty. I can hold and aim forever if I want to and actually shoot better LH because of the target panic that tends to pop up shooting RH. Is this some kind of right brain hemisphere vs. left brain hemisphere psychology going on? Or is it that in time, the subconscious will also learn to shortcut the aiming process shooting lefty like it did when shooting RH? I'm hoping it's not the latter.

Posts: 203 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Joel! I shot about 40 arrows today and only two were released before the feather. Much better for me and I will be 100% tomorrow.
My shot sequence; draw to anchor, aim (set up sight picture) start the mantra and keep pulling until the feather touches the nose and release. My question is what should I be thinking about during the draw and aim portions? Once I start the mantra I think about pulling but what about before that? In a pressure situation I think this is where I am having trouble as there is a moment at anchor when I am setting up the sight picture before the mantra is started and the gremlin says release as soon as the sight picture is there. My gremlin is a quick little devil and it only takes a few shots like this before I can't get to anchor. Should I be thinking about pulling at this time as well?

Posts: 735 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2Blade
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Blade   Email 2Blade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that help me in curing the TP along with a clicker was learning to shoot in my head. When I had TP bad I always invisioned myself short drawing and releasing before I was ready. Now that ive got my shot down I can draw and hold in my head. Ive never been so confident in my shooting as I am now. I always read Joel and Dennys stuff. Its great to be able to shoot totally TP free! Now if I could kill something [Frown]

--------------------
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Posts: 903 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  23  24  25   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©