Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Target Panic Reality Check (Page 14)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Target Panic Reality Check
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for a very good explanation Joel. The "man this is taking forever" thought is a frequent one for me and I need to work on letting down when that happens. I am going to try a different tab as the Black Widow 3 under tab I am using is too soft. The leather bends as I press down and sometimes it doesn't pop at all.
Posts: 735 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
man this is taking forever
Thanks for posting this. It helps me to understand what Joel means when he says to be aware of what your thoughts are as you draw the bow. When I'm drawing a bow that I should be able to easily draw to full draw, and seem to hit a mental wall where I can't draw it any further, I'm thinking the same thing: "Man this is taking forever," or "Uh oh, I just hit the wall where I can't draw the bow any further."

The point I failed to realize until now is that those are also thoughts that I should be aware of. Up until now, I thought of them as just being reactions to things that are happening, and didn't really think of them as conscious thoughts. It also follows that if those are thoughts that I should be aware of, then there was probably a thought that immediately preceded it that was something like, "I hope I don't hit the wall." That is a thought too. Clearly if I wondered in the middle of drawing the bow if my fly was unzipped, I would identify it as a separate thought, because it is unrelated to drawing the bow. But thoughts that are an integral part of what I'm doing are also thoughts that are capable of being identified, and focused out if necessary, which is what I need to learn to do.

I believe what Joel is saying, and I'm just now beginning to get, is that if my mind were focused enough to where my only thought was pulling, I wouldn't have other thoughts like, "I hope I don't hit the wall," or "I just hit the wall," and maybe then I WOULDN'T hit the wall!

Sorry if it seems stupid that I wouldn't be able to identify my own thoughts. But possibly it might help someone else to know that you may be ignoring thoughts that could really be a part of the problem because they are so obvious that you just tune them out.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4163 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cch
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cch   Email cch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttt
Posts: 614 | From: Three Forks Montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KSdan
2017 Contributor
Member # 2687

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KSdan   Email KSdan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would HIGHLY suggest Jay Kidwell's book too. Sports psychology applied to archery. Very similar insights to this post. I have a number of friends; pro, olympian, collegiate, athletes who use this same stuff applied to many disciplines. One of my good friends trains Pro Golfers in this stuff. I think Kidwell has seen 100% cure of TP with Olympic archers thus far. His book is the best $12 investment any bow hunter can make.

My 2C
Dan

--------------------
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Posts: 2764 | From: Kansas | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I would post a picture of the tab sear I have been using with good results for the past three weeks. I started with the full length blade for the bodoodle rest and tried the same position that Joel uses but noticed I had to contort my thumb and the blade was tearing up my face. I cut the blade down to about 1/4" and tried eight different locations. I finally found the right location high in the center of the tab. That is what was comfortable for me. I like the fact that no further major muscle movement is required to activate the shot; however I do have to be more concious of maintaining back tension. That was automatic with the feather to nose. I am going to stick with this for the rest of this year and see how it works come hunting season.
 -

Posts: 735 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cch
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cch   Email cch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
flingblade, You can still use the feather to your nose as a draw check if they are still set up that way. When I use the sear I draw until my feathers touch my nose and them engage the sear.
Posts: 614 | From: Three Forks Montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

cch,
That's exactly what I've been doing since my arrows are already set up that way. It gives me another anchor reference but as I engage the sear I have noticed a tendency to creep as my mind is only thinking about pressing on the sear. This is the ticket though! At first I wasn't sure but when Joel posted that you could use a groove in your riser to pop your thumb nail off it all clicked. I realized it didn't need to be anything more than what I have in the picture. I shot a 3d course with a couple local tradgangers last weekend and was very happy with my control. I have become a process focused shooter more than a results focused shooter and that is exactly what I needed. I have found that my mind is quite undisciplined. It does take effort or mental discipline on every shot. I hope Joel is able to get some classes going.
Going to try a different link to get the full size picture.
 -

CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLICKERMAN   Email CLICKERMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fling blade,

Good work sir. Once you understand the mental mechanics and psychological triggers, the world of archery is yours to control. As long as you have the discipline to stop a bad shot before it happens, your process will be infallible and indefinite. Congrats on finding a sear location that works for you. I just traveled to Colorado to give some private lessons and I will be starting formal classes as soon as anyone will have me. I am trying to schedule one at ********* archery in the upcoming winter.

Take care ,

JT

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Posts: 140 | From: Eatonville WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
khardrunner
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14227

Icon 1 posted      Profile for khardrunner   Author's Homepage   Email khardrunner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice. I'm close to ******* ... I think. :-)

Seriously, if it's where I think it is, I'm close.

--------------------
I Corinthians 9 24-25
...run in such a way so as to obtain the prize!

Posts: 1315 | From: Stewartstown, Pa | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Footed Shaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 65

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Footed Shaft   Email Footed Shaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flingblade, can u post a pic with your fingers/thumb in the proper location? I have been really lax on getting my tab set up with a sear and would like a couple ideas on where to start.
Bill

Posts: 600 | From: S.W Ontario | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Footed Shaft,
Here is a picture of when I start the draw
 -
and when I am at full draw I raise my thumb slightly to hook my thumbnail on the sear
 -
Hope this helps. As you can see this is the natural position for my thumb. With the sear lower on the tab I had to force my thumb down which put too much tension in my string hand. This position seems to be working well for me but I am sure everyone is different in that regard.

Footed Shaft
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 65

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Footed Shaft   Email Footed Shaft   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome, thnx for the pictures!! I just need to get on this project now [Smile]
Bill

Posts: 600 | From: S.W Ontario | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yekrut
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 16117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yekrut   Email yekrut   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suffer from it bad, been working on focuseing more on my anchor and less on the shot, but still am haveing trouble. No one has ever taught me trad archery so there for I am trying to teach my-self, not alot of people around here to shoot with to watch me and help me!

--------------------
There are many good moccasin tracks along the trail of a straight arrow: ( fox )

Posts: 361 | From: south dakota | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cch
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2529

yekrut, Give Joel a call. He is very helpful and can give you some good tips to shoot better. His number is in previous posts.
Paul WA
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 5924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul WA   Email Paul WA   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel has helped me more than anyone ever has in the last 50+yrs. His feather to the nose method works well once you have it down. I am fortunate to live near him so his knowledge of tuning and setup has come in very handy...PR

--------------------
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Posts: 905 | From: Western Washington | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  23  24  25   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©