Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Target Panic Reality Check (Page 23)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Target Panic Reality Check
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MissouriCK, Not sure what kind of arrows you are using. Do they have tunable nocks? I adjust the position of the feather so it touches the tip of my nose by turning the nock and drawing the bow to check. I fletch my own arrows so I have the feather the correct distance from the nock. For me the feather needs to be angled down slightly to touch the very tip of my nose. If it is straight out it hits higher on my nose which increases draw length and makes it hard to get to. IMO you shouldn't be trying to "find the feather". If you start thinking about something other than pulling let down and start over. I will occasionally draw not intending to shoot and just pull back until the feather touches so I know it is in the right spot. This increases my confidence in the system and helps set muscle memory for what the proper draw length is to get to the trigger. Hope this makes some sense. Good luck.
Posts: 735 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cch
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cch   Email cch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone is going to Denton Hill Joel is doing a couple of seminars, check it out it might help you.
Posts: 614 | From: Three Forks Montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttt

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4164 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cch
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 2529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cch   Email cch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought I would bring this back up. I have been hearing a bunch of target panic talk going on.
Chris

Posts: 614 | From: Three Forks Montana | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jsweka
Contributor 2015
Member # 21094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jsweka   Email jsweka   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received Joel's video about three weeks ago and have been working on things. I was a "hill style" snap shooter and sometimes I could shoot great, and other times down right terrible. Basically no consistency. Holding at full draw was simply unthinkable. And the biggest reason why I couldn't hold a full draw was because I didn't know what to do one I reached the corner of my mount. I had previously tried numerous other techniques, but ended up frustrated and always went back to my snap shooting.

Joel's method makes so much sense!!! Now, I know what I'm supposed to do once I get to full draw. I can even let down when things aren't right. When I execute everything correctly and continue to pull the feather to my nose, it's a good shot. The one thing that I have noticed is that when my mental state breaks down, the gremlin sneaks back in, and I release before I should, its a REALLY BAD shot. But these are getting fewer and fewer during a shooting session. I think I'm on my way to better shooting (At least I've seen enough improvement so far that I've stuck with Joel's method longer than anything else I've ever tried.)

--------------------
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Posts: 3445 | From: Howard Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLICKERMAN   Email CLICKERMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John,

Just remember, there is no system that will work for you. You have to WORK FOR IT!!!! Get better at putting yourself in the process of that last quarter inch of pulling. Get better at recognizing when the shot is outside the perfect mold. If it is outside the mold, LET IT DOWN!!!! That's the only way to get better at concentration. I have a whole new way of explaining the system to people that has been born from my recent research in motor learning and performance. It gives the mental mechanics much more of a scientific backing, very exciting stuff!!! As always, I am only a phone call away. 253-686-3623

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Posts: 140 | From: Eatonville WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to hear your new thoughts on this, Joel, whether here, a new CD, or in one of your clinics. Do you post a schedule of your upcoming clinics anywhere?

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4164 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLICKERMAN   Email CLICKERMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
McDave,

I don't have a schedule yet. The only ones scheduled so far are next week at the Pope and Young Club convention in Phoenix AZ, I will be doing 4 days of seminars and one on one instruction, and the second weekend of July in Denver CO at ROCKY MOUNTAIN SPECIALTY GEAR. I am also starting a new website that will be out in a few weeks.

JT

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Posts: 140 | From: Eatonville WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWallace10327
Contributor 2017
Member # 15447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWallace10327   Author's Homepage   Email BWallace10327   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've come to the conclusion that target panic is just a bad habit, or learned shooting personality. Repetitive behaviors (unfocused shots, mindlessly flung arrows) grow into persistent attitudes ("I just can't shoot today" or "I'm just not a very good shot"). These self doubting attitudes, in succession, grow and build upon each other to form a bad shooting personality riddled with doubt and an unconscious, unpredictable shooting style, aka target panic. I feel that I walk a fine line between controlled snap shooting and target panic.

--------------------
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Posts: 851 | From: Four Corner Area, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Night Stalker
Contributor 2017
Member # 4966

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Night Stalker   Email The Night Stalker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel what is your bow set up and thoughts on bow weight related to target panic problems.
Do you just practice shoot with your hunting bow?

--------------------
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Posts: 1274 | From: Ashe County, NC | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LongStick64
Contributor 2015
Member # 18059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LongStick64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best thing I ever did about target panic is to get over what I thought was the correct bow weight for me to shoot. As soon as a I dropped weight to a level that was better suited for me, the sky opened up.

--------------------
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Posts: 2412 | From: New York - LI | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Vought
Contributor 2015
Member # 393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron Vought   Email Ron Vought   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel -

Do you plan to come to Denton Hill again this year?

Ron

Posts: 1167 | From: South East, PA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BWallace10327
Contributor 2017
Member # 15447

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BWallace10327   Author's Homepage   Email BWallace10327   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LongStick- I envy that quick of a fix. I couldn't sell my brain and buy one more suited to my shooting style. The TP trouble I've experienced wrecked my shooting with a 65# bow or a 40# bow, it didn't matter as it was entirely in my head. I'd release prematurely with a wrist rocket. When I screwed my head back on straight, thanks to advice from Joel Turner, I can shoot any bow I like, but I'm happy with mid-low fifty pounders.

--------------------
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Posts: 851 | From: Four Corner Area, Colorado | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Hansen
Contributor 2017
Member # 35583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Hansen   Email Kevin Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just last week I took Joel up on his offer and gave him a call. Despite the fact I was caller number 208 he was incredibly willing to speak with me, and we were on the phone for almost an hour. What he said was exciting and makes perfect sense. Once I have given his suggestions a thorough and consistent application I will report back with my thoughts.
Posts: 592 | From: SD | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LongStick64
Contributor 2015
Member # 18059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LongStick64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brent
Speaking with Joel the first step is to be able to set your sight picture and then keep it. The problem I feel is many are overbowed that they are fighting to establish and keep the sight picture which makes it impossible to move on to get to the point of "keep pulling". For me and I know it's not the case for all, simply reducing weight has allowed me to work through all of Joel's technique without the use of a hard trigger like a clicker.

--------------------
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Posts: 2412 | From: New York - LI | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©