Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Target Panic Reality Check (Page 24)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Target Panic Reality Check
Firstlight
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firstlight   Email Firstlight   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just read all 23 enlightening pages, great information.

Think I'll adjust my fletch and try the nose to feather...

TTT >>------->

Posts: 267 | From: Vancouver Island, Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Hansen
Contributor 2017
Member # 35583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Hansen   Email Kevin Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In keeping with my promise from almost a year ago I am reporting back with my thoughts on Joel's system:
It has definitely worked for me, and I'm shooting better than I ever have. I am the one that now controls my bow; not the other way around. Shooting has become enjoyable.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Joel!

Posts: 592 | From: SD | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firstlight
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 14336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firstlight   Email Firstlight   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Kevin, it's good to hear. I would enjoy hearing how others are doing with the psyco-trigger / feather to nose this past year.

The past few months I have been doing the "mantra" as Joel describes and keeping good form while practicing Kidwell's drills for TP, and also shooting a lot of blank bale. Form work...

I've been doing most of what Joel suggest as well, excluding the non anticipatory release. The time has come for me to give it a try and I'm going with the feather to the nose.

My TP is fairly tame after a lot of hard work but at 3D events, it falls short, due to pressure of wanting to score will. The site picture triggers my release with a short draw. I can still score ok as my alignment is good and I'm using back tension but TP is still winning is certain shooting situations, and my scoring suffers.

This morning I moved my fletch and did the feather to nose to trigger the release. And it worked well.

I visited the local range and I was able to concentrate on the movement to get me to my trigger. Results were scary good.

While I would say I hit anchor 100% of the time (which is awesome) I'd say I only got through the mantra 60% of the time, which isn't so good.

My shot placement was well and most of my shots were 20- 30 yards, but from everything I hear and read, it's really about a consistent shot sequence which also includes the mantra to activate the muscles to get me to my non anticipatory trigger... I'm pleased with todays results.

Great thread here...

Posts: 267 | From: Vancouver Island, Canada | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Hansen
Contributor 2017
Member # 35583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kevin Hansen   Email Kevin Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you haven't already, I would give Joel a call and talk to him. Take notes on the conversation, too. You won't regret it.
Posts: 592 | From: SD | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob DiStefano
Admin - Webmaster
Member # 99

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob DiStefano   Author's Homepage   Email Rob DiStefano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TP is a nasty mental joke that our subconscious perpetrates on us when we fail to pay attention to what we're doing.

the few times the TP bug struck me down hard, i just picked up ONE arrow, slowly drew and aimed at a tree stump or butt (no aiming spot or target) a few yards away as if my life depended on killing that tree or butt before it killed me.

repeat as needed, slowly but surely. that's what it takes, there's no way around it, it's all about head games.

--------------------
IAM ~ Black Powder Gang ~ TANJ ~ TGMM ~ NRA Patriot Life ~ NRA RSO

Posts: 10032 | From: NJ | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jake Scott
Contributor 2017
Member # 39713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jake Scott   Email Jake Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to bring this back to the top. Mr. Turner, thank you so much for your contributions. I have read this thread in its entirety. You recently helped my brother at a seminar, and I plan on attending one when I am in the area next.

Thanks so much, sir.

Jake Scott

--------------------
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Posts: 1049 | From: Sylva, North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trond
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 42540

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Trond   Email Trond   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bumping this thread up on top again, because this is really good stuff! But I experience a little different "gremlin". When it strikes me, and it only strikes when shooting at targets, I an afraid to let the string go. No early release for me, but I stand there at full draw until the shakes get me, then I release. The result is the same... A bad shot. I never get this problem while stumping alone in the woods, so it might have some of the same causes as TP.

--------------------
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Quicks Peregrine II, with Samick Red Fox limbs, 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Posts: 350 | From: Norway | Registered: Nov 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cecil
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 12155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cecil   Email Cecil   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ttt
Posts: 859 | From: Sugar Grove VA. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dry Creek
CONTRIBUTOR 2018
Member # 9484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dry Creek   Email Dry Creek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some good info in this one!

--------------------
58" Bear Super Grizzly 45@28
60" TallTines 44@28

Posts: 546 | From: Central Mississippi | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kevin Hansen
Contributor 2017
Member # 35583

Agreed! If a person is afflicted with TP you can definitely benefit from Joel's knowledge.
Ray Johnson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ray Johnson   Email Ray Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I Have been using Joel"s system for a while now and am shooting as well as I ever have. I can honestly say that my TP is as well as gone(when using his system) and my 3D scores show it. I am averaging over 170 this year on 20 target 3D courses with my highest score being a 184. Shooting is fun again.
I also use a feather to the nose trigger. It works well for me.

Posts: 288 | From: Texarkana,Tx. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roy from Pa
Contributor 2017
Member # 10602

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roy from Pa   Email Roy from Pa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's all about head games

X's 2, Rob

Posts: 11169 | From: PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2Blade
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Blade   Email 2Blade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could somebody explain what is needed to create a Tab Sear? I'd like to give it a try.

--------------------
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Posts: 903 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
McDave
Contributor 2017
Member # 10587

Icon 1 posted      Profile for McDave   Author's Homepage   Email McDave   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I recall, there are photos of some of his earlier versions of the tab sear buried somewhere in the many pages of this topic. These appeared very similar to the lacing hooks that are on some boots once you lace past the eyelets.

His more recent versions appear to be two nylon washers, one slightly larger than the other. The larger one goes on top. In either case, they are fastened to the tab with a rivet or some similar way.

The idea is to hook your thumbnail on the edge of the sear, and press down on it as you expand. So you have to select some place on your tab to mount the sear where you can press down without having to move your thumb to some unnatural position. When your thumbnail slips off the edge of the sear, that is your trigger to shoot the bow.

For this to work, the trigger has to be a surprise. Obviously, you could just force your thumbnail down on the sear and make it slip off, but that would defeat the purpose of the sear. You have to steadily increase pressure until your thumbnail slips off at some unknown moment.

In fact, the key to Joel's whole system is to focus all your attention during expansion on the movement required to activate the trigger. When Joel asks you the question, "What were you thinking about during the shot?" any answer other than focusing on the movement required to activate the trigger is the wrong answer.

An alternative to the tab sear is the grip sear, where you mount the sear somewhere on your bow handle where it can be conveniently reached by your bow hand thumbnail.

Joel encourages using your own imagination in creating a sear, or even using some feature, such as a ridge or bump on the bow handle, that is already there.

--------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Posts: 4163 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2Blade
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 11880

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Blade   Email 2Blade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mcdave I've been watching his Iron Mind videos on YouTube and reading up as well but couldn't seem to get the exact information I was looking for. Your reply helped.

--------------------
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Posts: 903 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©