Shooters Forum

Contribute to Trad Gang
Become a Trad Gang Sponsor

Trad Gang.com Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
MY PROFILE | directory login | register | search | FAQ | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Trad Gang.com » Main Forums » The Shooters FORM Forum » Target Panic Reality Check (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  23  24  25   
Author Topic: Target Panic Reality Check
Ed Q
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Q   Email Ed Q   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel, I think a school for target panickers like us is a great idea.
Posts: 203 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel,
I have considered taking a shooting class with one of the other coaches out there but have not as most have never had or have very little experience with target panic and tp has always been the biggest stumbling block in my shooting. So...yes, I would be interested in your shooting school if one can be arranged for us middle easterners. I will give you a call about the tab sear. And you should be well compensated for techniques or inventions that help beat tp so I wish you best luck in obtaining a patent.
Thanks,
Gary

Posts: 735 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ed Q
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 22397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ed Q   Email Ed Q   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragonheart,

Didn't even see your post til now while reading through this thread again. Thanks for the helpful tips on how to properly use the mantra. I'll see if I can incorporate what you said into my regimen, as I'm determined to beat TP.

Posts: 203 | From: Texas | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2017
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ed Q,

Our words are so meaningful to us. I believe that part of the manifestation process of TP is in overaiming. Aim, aim, aim as a mantra may just leads us back down the same trail. Thinking pull, pull, pull or whatever that may be that works for you to get to the conclusion of the shot may be a better mantra.

For me it is push, push, push. Those words activate me to push my draw elbow around and thus activates the proper back muscles for a perfect shot.

Over time shooting a bow we begin to try to hard, to be over precise in our aim. This leads to an increase in metal tension, anxiety about the shot. John Schulz stated in his video that Howard Hill said "if your forms right, you won't be too far off at 50 yards".

What do you have to do to hit the spot? Point (aim) in the direction of the intended spot and shoot a repeatable shot execution. I really like what Joel is talking about. A process focus of our thoughts on the action it takes to get to the conclusion of the shot. We are not so engrossed in aiming that we create an overwhelming amount of tension in an already tense person under the strain of drawing a bow to full draw.

Just like our bowarm, drawing hand, and bow grip needs to be consistent, a sameness to our cognitions need also to be present. Just my thoughts, no pun intended [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4312 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flingblade   Email Flingblade   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick update. Last week I started a thread called Stage fright tp as I had just shot a 137 out of a possible 300 at an indoor 3d league. I only got to full draw once out of 30 arrows. I had been using Joel's system for several months but had fallen into the mistake of focusing on the feather rather than the pulling action. Tonight I shot 244 out of 300. My best score yet. I followed Joel's instruction and said to myself draw, aim, keep pulling, keep pulling, etc. until the feather touched and the bow went off. I was amazed at the difference in control from one week to the next. Out of thirty arrows 23 were good execution wise and only 7 went off before the feather. Next week my goal is 30 out of 30. For those with tp; me thinks Mr. Turner's on to something here!!
Posts: 735 | From: Grand Haven, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dragonheart
Contributor 2017
Member # 1953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dragonheart   Author's Homepage   Email dragonheart   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, what an improvement. I am very aware from my past indoor days that level of improvement in score. Way to keep that discipline up. What are you thinking about during the shot, that is the key Joel is really turning us onto. Awesome shooting and improvement!

--------------------
Longbows & Short Shots

Posts: 4312 | From: Nacogdoches, Texas | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLICKERMAN   Email CLICKERMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go fellas!!!! Remember that the ultimate goal in your shooting is know so intimately what is going through your head during a shot, that you can recognize an interuption in the concentration and LET DOWN. If you shoot a bad arrow, you MUST ask yourself two questions before shooting another arrow. 1. What was I thinking about during the shot? 2. Was I saying my mantra? Honest answers to those two questions will get you to really start to analyze your shot. When you know what going through your head, you are well on your way to controlling what is going through your head. Once we have mastered concentration, we have to test the system. You have to seek stress in your practice sessions so that you can practice your concentration. Just shooting arrows to get better is a misnomer. One perfect shot with perfect concentration is the name of the game. Keep up the good work and stay in touch.

JT

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4
2x World Elk Calling Champion / Pro Division

Posts: 140 | From: Eatonville WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molson
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 1802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molson   Email Molson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joel,

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me. There is no doubt I've been trying to cure my TP issues by practicing the very thing that gave me TP! I think most guys are doing the same thing. The moment you started explaining the shot activation I knew you had the solution!!

I used your "Tab Sear" concept to completely anchor and shoot 20 arrows in a row last night without an early release. No anticipation!! Nearly unheard of in the past four years! I've got a great trigger idea that will work for me as a result of our converstation.

Thanks for taking time to talk, to post, and make yourself available. I've got to make some adjustments to my shot to fully utilize the "sear" concept. After that it's time to start adding the stress shots.

--------------------
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Posts: 1778 | From: Ohio | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLICKERMAN   Email CLICKERMAN   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Molson,

Please call me, I would like to hear of your idea for the sear system on a glove. Keep up the good work. Remember, your concentration is on the action that gets you to the psychotrigger, not on the trigger itself!!!!!

JT

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Posts: 140 | From: Eatonville WA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

dragonheart,
Thanks! I was thinking about pulling the bowstring back further. I guess at times I was thinking about my back muscles contracting, at other times I was thinking about the arrow sliding across the shelf or my finger moving slightly back from my anchor. The last one was one of the problems I had at first as I wanted to maintain anchor not move back but I am over that now. Not sure if it is right but I let myself think about any aspect of pulling the bow back as I said the mantra. I just wouldn't let myself think about the feather and Joel is right; if you're not thinking about the trigger it is easier to pull and you'll reach the trigger more quickly.
Gary

Flingblade
2017 Contributor
Member # 21996

Joel,
I like to bowfish in the spring and the shooting is usually fast and furious snap shooting with a bare shaft (no feathers). Is this shooting going to undermine the progress I have made using your shooting system or is it possible to go back and forth between the shooting styles depending on the situation at hand? Also, have you made shots on animals that were walking using your system? I have never liked bleating or making a sound to stop an animal as I feel this just makes them more likely to jump the string?
Thanks!
Gary

CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Hello All,

I said that I was wanted to protect the Tab Sear concept, but I have received some very good advice on the patent process and it sounds like it would not be worth my while.

So here it is. I created the Tab Sear after realizing that those archers that were really at the top of the heap (Professional finger shooters) were not using a clicker. Some of them are what I would consider an anomaly, a person that can draw and hold on a target with no shot anticipation. Those people are very few and far between, people like Byron Ferguson, Addington, and Eagleton. The rest of the folks, instead of using a clicker on their bow, use a clicker on their tab or at least in their hand. The professionals that I studied are not stickbow people, but rather pro finger compound shooters.

When using a clicker in the hand, the archer is able to use muscles that are totally uninvolved in the shot. In other words, they don't have to pull extra back tension and add outside influences into the shot, yet they are getting the benefit of a surprise release. There are a few contraptions out there that people have come up with, but they have been extremely secretive about their design.

The Tab Sear is named as such because it works on the same concept as a trigger sear in a firearm. Two surfaces are pulled apart until they disconnect. Here is a simple drill to see the concept. Take your pinky fingernail and put it underneath your thumbnail on the same hand. Now press your thumb towards your palm very slowly. You will notice that the pressure will build and then, all of sudden, the pinky nail will pop out from under the thumbnail at some unpredictable point. That, my friends, is a perfect non-anticipatory psychological trigger!!!! So I took that concept and put a small metal plate on the back lower corner of the tab in the proper angle and length so it sits where my thumb rests at full draw.

I simply draw back and aim, when my aim is done and I give it away to the subconscious, I hook my thumbnail on the tab sear that is connected to the tab. When I want to activate my shot, I concentrate on pressing the sear towards my palm at a rate that is slow and smooth. Exactly the rate that you would if you were pressing a trigger on a firearm and attempting to get a surprise break on the trigger. I am saying to myself, Keep Pressing, Keep Pressing, Keep Pressing... until the sear disconnects from my thumbnail. When the sear pops out from underneath the nail, it is my psychotrigger to release the string. Again, you are not thinking about the sear, you are thinking about the action that gets the sear to pop. The release of the string is instantaneous because the sear pop is the "GO" signal.

Folks, I have tested this system extensively under extreme stress and I have found it to work flawlessly. I have harvested several big critters with it including a bull elk and bull moose last year with my longbow.

Tournament scores have skyrocketed, but more importantly, control of the shot and group size has become phenomenal. It may sound like another gimmick, but the psychotrigger of choice is not the key, the mental mechanics behind the use of the psychotrigger is the true cure for target panic.

I am designing a tab right now with a sear on it that will be adjustable to the hands of most archers. Anyone know of a source of good Cordovan other then directly from Horweens?

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

Gary,

I used the tab sear last year while doing some fast and furious bowfishing, worked like a charm. So I guess that answers the moving target question. I also used it on ground squirrels in Montana last year with great sucess on moving critters. If you are using the feather to nose technique and trying to transition to bowfishing with no fletches, you may want to put one vane or a portion of a vane on your fishing arrow in the alignment that hits your nose. That way, it shouldn't affect the underwater flight characteristics and you will be able to practice your concentration on moving targets, best of both worlds. If you can pull to your nose on moving carp, a whitetail will be a breeze. This is what I am talking about when I ask people to seek stress in their shooting so they have an opportunity to practice their concentration. Bowfishing is a perfect opportunity to strengthen your system. No reason to stop shooting perfect shots because the game has changed!!!!

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

Torben Jensen
Member # 7040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Torben Jensen   Email Torben Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clickerman I have read your explanation on the tab sear a lot of times over and I am still in doubt where and how you put the metal plate. Do you have a picture, a drawing or maybe can try to explain again in other words?
Posts: 32 | From: Denmark | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLICKERMAN
Trad Bowhunter
Member # 8072

I am not sure how to post pics on this site so if you would like some pics of the tab sear, please email me at jsturner14@msn.com. I just took them but I don't see any way to post pictures. Maybe someone could tell me how to post some pics on here.

Thanks

--------------------
Joel Turner
IRONMIND Archery Systems
Masters of the Barebow 4

This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  23  24  25   

Quick Reply ~ PLEASE THINK BEFORE YOU POST! - Is your post trad bowhunting related? Check the FAQ or EMAIL if you're unsure!
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Shoot On Over To:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | Privacy Statement

Copyright 2003 thru 2017 ~ Trad Gang.com ©